Poll

Please tell me your opinion of the importance of a center channel speaker in the HT?

Very important and here's why...
10 (66.7%)
Moderately important because...
3 (20%)
Not important due to...
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: 6 Jun 2018, 02:42 am

Importance of a Center Channel Speaker

JakeJ

Importance of a Center Channel Speaker
« on: 26 Feb 2018, 02:42 am »
So I'm soon to move to a new abode and I will once again have a room for my tv display and HT setup.  Yay!  To the present I have always just used the processor's phantom center channel and been happy.  However, being the audio neurotic that I am, I started thinking about the application of that electronic trickery and whether it is having an effect on the front L/R channels causing issues with the normal soundstage.  Thus my poll.  Please vote based on your experience and opinion.

Yes, I posed each option in hopes of compelling you to give a reason for your response.  Clever, eh?

Thx,
JakeJ

srb

Re: Importance of a Center Channel Speaker
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2018, 03:03 am »
When you set a phantom center channel in an AV processor, you should have the center channel track mixed equally into the left and right channels.  It does that of course, but I have found that in at least half of the processors and receivers I've owned and/or auditioned, the end result is that phantom center channel information and dialogue sounds more recessed and subdued than a physical center speaker leaving you wanting a higher level for greater intelligibility and enjoyment.

Of course most processors won't let you alter the mix if the center channel is set to "none".  Having a physical center sounds better and more intelligible in many setups and you have the control to increase the level beyond that if needed or wanted, and I usually end up liking the center channel run 2-3dB hot.

Then there is the subject of seating and sweet spot.  If you have any seating to the side of say three main centered seats or a couch, a phantom setup will always sound like the dialogue and action is coming from the left or right speaker and not anchored to the screen for those viewers off to the side.

Steve

WC

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2018, 03:19 am »
Center helps with understanding dialogue. I have tried it both ways and prefer it with the center channel. Without the center channel I have to increase the L/R mains volume to understand dialogue, which makes it to loud for when the music kicks on.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2018, 05:00 am »
There is no TV in my home many years, in the past when I watching TV I preferred the Mono sound not Stereo, but I like an 3 Channel audio system to listen music.
The center speaker must be the same as the others 2 left/right.

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2018, 05:31 am »
The center channel is the most important speaker. Eliminating it makes no sense. As the name implies, the "phantom" center is merely an illusion. The typical MTM with 5.5" drivers is gutless. Buy (or build) the biggest one you can. Mine is 4-feet long and weighs about 100 lbs.

Mag

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2018, 05:32 am »
HT implies that you are watching movies or TV or concert videos. Whether you need one depends on your room set up and your main speakers 'left and right'.

Typically though in my room I found it necessary to have a Center channel speaker in order to have a seemless soundstage from left to right. Positioning of speakers in relation to Center speaker in order to fill perceived holes or gapes of sound between the main speakers. So depending on the size or room the size of the Center channel speaker should be considered to fill this perceived gap.

Ideally you want the Center speaker to be the same make and sound signature of Mains to sound cohesive but doesn't have to be as some AV/receivers allow adjustment of the Center channel volume and tone.

Now when I got my new main speakers I was having a power issue using the Center channel with Mains. Only after taking the Center channel out, did the Mains perform optimumly and I found I didn't need the Center channel as my mains did the job covering the front soundstage.

So it depends on your Main speaker and room dimensions, but I think in most HT set ups you're going to want and need a Center channel speaker.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2018, 12:03 pm »
I agree with Mags post as there are many factors involved when using a center channel as sometimes its useful but not really required....My main speakers in 2 channel stereo mode can sound like the center channel speaker is on......at first when I added the center channel it didn't sound right until I calibrated the volume setting as well as the distance and center channel equalizer settings to blend with my main speakers did it add a more fuller richer sound.

I listen to music and movies in 5.1 channel mode as I prefer that best....I do not use any of the dolby effects.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 26 Feb 2018, 12:26 pm »
I tried a smaller center channel (Ascend Acoustics HTM-200) compared to my left/front, right/front speakers (Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's) and was disappointed.  But it was much better compared to phantom (very blurry and deemphasized) center channel.  For HT the left/front and right/front speakers are secondary to the center channel which cares the lion's share of sound/dialogue, to the point of them being 'side-surround' speakers.

Am also opposed to MTM designs, especially for center channel use (the HTM-200 has the woofers/tweeter in a triangular arrangement) because of the phase interference between the two woofers means only the center listening position hears without cancelation.  So the easiest/best solution is three identical woofer/tweeter monitors across the front, mounted tweeter over woofer.

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 26 Feb 2018, 12:31 pm »
Interesting variety of answers so far.  Thanks to all who responded, guess I didn't need to do a poll.

Keep 'em coming, please.

gab

« Reply #9 on: 26 Feb 2018, 05:18 pm »
To quote Floyd Toole from his Sound Reproduction: Loudspeakers and Rooms book Ch 8 pg 122:

"In more serious installations, the center channel is anything but an afterthought because in movies more than 80% of the sound is delivered by it, and in television the proportion is even higher. The center channel is the most important speaker in the entire installation!"

Put the majority of your speaker budget into your center channel speaker and you'll end up with an excellent HT. The L/R and surrounds are not nearly as critical IMO. And of course multiple subwoofers around the room (minimum 3).

gab

gab

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2018, 05:19 pm »
So the easiest/best solution is three identical woofer/tweeter monitors across the front, mounted tweeter over woofer.

:thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2018, 05:32 pm »
To quote Floyd Toole from his Sound Reproduction: Loudspeakers and Rooms book Ch 8 pg 122:

"In more serious installations, the center channel is anything but an afterthought because in movies more than 80% of the sound is delivered by it, and in television the proportion is even higher. The center channel is the most important speaker in the entire installation!"

Put the majority of your speaker budget into your center channel speaker and you'll end up with an excellent HT. The L/R and surrounds are not nearly as critical IMO. And of course multiple subwoofers around the room (minimum 3).

gab
Certainly he is talking about movies center channel, for music all the front channels must use the same speaker as I said in the post 3. Most HT systems disregard music, its main use are action films.

JakeJ

« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2018, 02:12 am »
That's why I'm asking about a center channel speaker specifically since my HT is separate from my 2 channel rig(s). :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2018, 11:23 am »

gab

+1 (right back at ya)

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2018, 11:36 am »
The really important thing is having a timbral match across the front (IMO). If you can't do that with the centre, you might actually be better off without. However, a centre is only one extra amp channel, which you probably already have anyway. Since you will have a dedicated HT setup what reason is there anyway for trying to do without the center?

Personally I EQ the centre a little differently to the other speakers to provide a little "lift" for dialog. (Edit: yes I realise that seems to contradict my first sentence, but it doesn't... I don't think  :lol: )

YMMV.  :)

fredgarvin

« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2018, 04:09 pm »
My findings concur with srb.

ajzepp

« Reply #16 on: 3 Mar 2018, 04:52 pm »
I've had great results with both a phantom and actual center. I typically end up with the center in place when all is said and done, however.