BDP-2 Digital Player

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1400 on: 16 Mar 2016, 01:02 pm »
Sorry if this has been asked before: is there any problem leaving the BDP-2 or BDA-3 always on, so long as there is good ventilation?

No problem at all - they draw very little power at idle.

james

davidtgoh

« Reply #1401 on: 16 Mar 2016, 04:09 pm »
A couple more questions:
1. Can the internal HD, connected SATA, be used to playback DSD files?  Or does it have to be a USB drive for DSD?  Or is it simply that the BDP has to be connected to the BDA-3 via USB for DSD to playback, and it does not matter how the BDP-2 accesses the DSD file (internal, local, NAS)?
2. Is there any sound quality difference between a file on a USB HD or on a SATA connected Hard Drive?
3. I'm sure its staring me in the face, but can someone direct me to the instructions on how to move files onto the BDP-2 internal or local drives from my computer, or how to move files from the internal drive to a connected local drive?
Loving the sound, but the set-up takes patience.

Tympani

« Reply #1402 on: 16 Mar 2016, 04:50 pm »
David,

1. All file formats stored on the HD will be sent to the BDP-2, regardless of whether its an internal drive (SATA), or external HD with either eSATA or USB.

2. I found a very subtle sound difference in different set-ups, but ultimately felt this was related to the power supply of the HD. The best sound was from internal SATA and the worst was on an external that used a separate wall-wart power source. An external USB bus-powered SSD was better, which is my current setup.

3. The ease and speed of transferring files from my PC was the most significant factor in choosing my setup. With an internal drive, data has to be loaded from the PC via the Ethernet connection, which is very slow. Transferring data from an external to internal HD thru the BDP-2 is quicker, but still slow for these large files.

So, I ended up with an external SSD (2TB Samsung 850 EVO-Pro) which can be detached from the BDP and connected to my PC for fast file loading. Plenty of room (for now :D). The PC to external HD transfer takes full advantage of USB 3.0 speeds, and of the superior write speeds of the SSD, whereas BDP-2 drive to drive transfer is only at USB-2 speed.

davidtgoh

« Reply #1403 on: 16 Mar 2016, 04:57 pm »
Tympani - thank you - very helpful.  I was actually thinking that an external power supplied USB drive would be better.  Again - to help this newbie - where on my Mac can I actually see all the drives connected to the BDP-2, so I can transfer files between them?

Tympani

« Reply #1404 on: 16 Mar 2016, 05:07 pm »
Not sure on the Mac. On my PC I see the BDP-2 on my network map, and can open the drives (which are designated as shared). It's been a while, but when I had 2 external files connected, I recall I was able to drag/drop? I have been using a single drive setup for the past 2 years.

Regarding the external power supply, I think the quality of the wall-wart makes the difference, so YMMV. Some are real noisy junk!

davidtgoh

« Reply #1405 on: 16 Mar 2016, 05:10 pm »
Any Mac users out there with a BDP-2?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1406 on: 16 Mar 2016, 05:57 pm »
Sorry if this has been asked before: is there any problem leaving the BDP-2 or BDA-3 always on, so long as there is good ventilation?

A BDP-2 will turn off its mainboard if it becomes to hot, it doesn't occur very frequently and can probably count each occurance on one hand

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1407 on: 16 Mar 2016, 05:57 pm »

same goes for mac, there is a video that can be found in the video tutorials thread

AudioEmp

« Reply #1408 on: 16 Mar 2016, 08:57 pm »

Not in front of my MAC right now but,

Go to finder
> click on "network", should display the BDP-2 as well as any other devices on the network
> double click on the BDP. If a window pops up asking for log in info, type "bryston" for both entries
> this should get you into the BDP to see the drive, wether its a USB external on an internal one.
Let us know how it goes. I'll check in later.

davidtgoh

« Reply #1409 on: 16 Mar 2016, 08:59 pm »
Yes - followed the directions on the video - my Mac and my BDP-2 are now linked.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjn2HSd6b8

Krutsch

« Reply #1410 on: 16 Mar 2016, 10:30 pm »

2. I found a very subtle sound difference in different set-ups, but ultimately felt this was related to the power supply of the HD. The best sound was from internal SATA and the worst was on an external that used a separate wall-wart power source. An external USB bus-powered SSD was better, which is my current setup.

Do you think that there is that much noise from a self-powered USB drive's wall-wart that you can hear it on playback?

Just curious and wondering if I should do that same (I have an external SSD that I may swap in for my USB 7200 rpm, wall-wart powered drive).

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1411 on: 17 Mar 2016, 12:46 am »
Do you think that there is that much noise from a self-powered USB drive's wall-wart that you can hear it on playback?

Just curious and wondering if I should do that same (I have an external SSD that I may swap in for my USB 7200 rpm, wall-wart powered drive).

Not likley

Marius

« Reply #1412 on: 17 Mar 2016, 09:21 am »

Chris answered 'not likely' to the electronic noise from the walt-wart, which is most important. Most of them make an audible hissing noise also though...
Next to that,  beware for rotating noise form the drive itself. I use the WD passports, but need to hide them carefully, not to hear them during the quieter passages. 7200 rpm's might even be louder?

This is why i sometimes expect or must i say wish for Bryston to come with a headless/usb-less/frontpanel-less version of the BDP-N (etwork). No moving/blinking/noise-making parts, only power and network.

Cheers,
Marius

Tympani

« Reply #1413 on: 17 Mar 2016, 11:55 am »

All I can really say is that there were subtle but reproducible differences between my various HD setups, which included internal SSD, external SSD powered by USB bus, external SSD powered by eSATA from player, and external SSD powered by wall-wart. The causes of these differences is conjecture. In all my trials, the model of the drive (and the files) remained the constant. What changed was the power supply, and in some instances the separation of power from data. I mentioned  "Noise" in the general sense (not "hiss") only as one possibility.

I do maintain though, that the BDP-2 needs to be elevated from it's stock setup (ie. better fuse and better power cord) to really appreciate the difference. Perhaps a controversial statement, but clearly my experience. Ultimately, its an acknowledgement that these components are capable of extraordinary resolution and musical satisfaction.

Similar HD observations were discussed in some detail in the supplement to Karl Schuster's recent February 2016 strong review of the BDP-2 in The Absolute Sound.

Krutsch

« Reply #1414 on: 17 Mar 2016, 12:52 pm »

Chris answered 'not likely' to the electronic noise from the walt-wart, which is most important. Most of them make an audible hissing noise also though...
Next to that,  beware for rotating noise form the drive itself. I use the WD passports, but need to hide them carefully, not to hear them during the quieter passages. 7200 rpm's might even be louder?

It's a 2.5" drive in a small enclosure ("G-Drive"). The Drobo RAID array on the desk next to me makes far more noise; but, yes, if I power down the Drobo, I can hear the portable drive on the table next to my desk. It's a little annoying, but I just turn up the volume on the music and it goes away  :lol:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1415 on: 17 Mar 2016, 02:47 pm »
It's a 2.5" drive in a small enclosure ("G-Drive"). The Drobo RAID array on the desk next to me makes far more noise; but, yes, if I power down the Drobo, I can hear the portable drive on the table next to my desk. It's a little annoying, but I just turn up the volume on the music and it goes away  :lol:

:thumb:

MoPac

« Reply #1416 on: 17 Mar 2016, 08:30 pm »
Timpani:
 What brand enclosure do you use with your 2TB SSD?
 Does it use a double USB cable ( two connections at the BDP )?

Thanks, Rich

Tympani

« Reply #1417 on: 17 Mar 2016, 09:45 pm »
MoPac,

I am using an Orico 2.5" external enclosure. Plastic, but has been glitch-free and is tidy and well-built. I just disconnect it and connect to my PC for adding files.
http://www.amazon.com/ORICO-2588US3-External-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B00B0RD2RA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41dO5Nb6TGL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1E2ZQGAZWMH505CMEY0E

My USB cable is a Wireworld Starlight USB 3.0 with USB-micro B plug. Available in 0.5 meter length.The cable design separates signal from power. I like it!
http://store.wireworldcable.com/collections/usb-audio-cables/products/starlight-7-usb-3-0-audio-cables?variant=950479723

Very pleased with the Wireworld cables. I use their upper end Platinum Starlight 7 USB for my DSD from BDP-2 to BDA-3. And a long (7 meter) HDMI Ultraviolet from my Oppo 103 to my BDA-3 for SACD-DSD.

Too many acronyms!

Marius

« Reply #1418 on: 18 Mar 2016, 07:11 am »

Exactly!
The main reason I took the Nas to my gym instead of auditorium . Have to row harder now to make it disappear ;-)

Happy listening,
Marius

Krutsch

« Reply #1419 on: 18 Mar 2016, 03:03 pm »
MoPac,

I am using an Orico 2.5" external enclosure. Plastic, but has been glitch-free and is tidy and well-built. I just disconnect it and connect to my PC for adding files.
http://www.amazon.com/ORICO-2588US3-External-Drive-Enclosure/dp/B00B0RD2RA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_147_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41dO5Nb6TGL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1E2ZQGAZWMH505CMEY0E

My USB cable is a Wireworld Starlight USB 3.0 with USB-micro B plug. Available in 0.5 meter length.The cable design separates signal from power. I like it!
http://store.wireworldcable.com/collections/usb-audio-cables/products/starlight-7-usb-3-0-audio-cables?variant=950479723

Very pleased with the Wireworld cables. I use their upper end Platinum Starlight 7 USB for my DSD from BDP-2 to BDA-3. And a long (7 meter) HDMI Ultraviolet from my Oppo 103 to my BDA-3 for SACD-DSD.

Too many acronyms!

That's a nice looking enclosure - small, tool free. Have you measured the controller throughput? I am curious enough to order one of these and see how it does (for carrying my music library in my laptop bag).

For my portable, external drives (Mac Mini and BDP-1), I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XEZ33Y?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

...larger, more expensive than your example, but it can handle thicker 2.5" drives, dissipates heat well, and has a wall-wart for lower power USB ports (I have an eSATA/USB 3.0 model and a FW800/USB 3.0 model).

With a Samsung EVO 1TB SSD, I can sustain 350-380 MB/s reads/writes - it's significantly faster than the embedded SSD in my MacBook Retina and is the fastest single drive USB 3.0 controller I've ever measured (Blackmagic Disc Speed Test). I've measured the same drive in other enclosures and this one is about 40-50% faster than the others I have.

Something to consider when copying TB-sized libraries.