BDP-2 Digital Player

ishmael010

Re: BDP-2 Digital Player
« Reply #1380 on: 4 Mar 2016, 08:05 pm »
James-
The playback when using the BOT-1 as a CD transport through the BDP-2 to my DAC is just fine.  As soon as the "Audio CD Ready" message shows up on the BDP, the CD is ready to play.  BOT-1 for ripping was taking anywhere from 12-15 minutes to an hour, and the last one had 24 songs on it, I started it at 930pm, and this morning the BDP display read (I believe) "transcoding track 24"-I have the music being saved as FLAC, and the CD had not yet ejected.  Not really acceptable performance.  Hence my question as to whether I need to somehow re-jigger my configuration if I want to get anything accomplished ripping with the BOT-1.

Dane

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1381 on: 5 Mar 2016, 06:07 am »
Is the disc good? If the disc has scratches/errors on it, the time delay could be the drive trying to read through the problem.

ishmael010

« Reply #1382 on: 5 Mar 2016, 06:51 pm »
The disc was perfect, no scratches or any apparent imperfections.  The same thing has happened now on several different discs, with no common link other than that the BOT takes hours and never completely resolves the RIP of the CD.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1383 on: 6 Mar 2016, 08:39 am »
This probably seems unlikely, but try swapping the USB cable. If the discs are good and you eliminate the data cable, that just leaves the lens/drive (if the problem is the BOT).

bjski

« Reply #1384 on: 6 Mar 2016, 03:35 pm »
James-
The playback when using the BOT-1 as a CD transport through the BDP-2 to my DAC is just fine.  As soon as the "Audio CD Ready" message shows up on the BDP, the CD is ready to play.  BOT-1 for ripping was taking anywhere from 12-15 minutes to an hour, and the last one had 24 songs on it, I started it at 930pm, and this morning the BDP display read (I believe) "transcoding track 24"-I have the music being saved as FLAC, and the CD had not yet ejected.  Not really acceptable performance.  Hence my question as to whether I need to somehow re-jigger my configuration if I want to get anything accomplished ripping with the BOT-1.

Dane

Email Chris. I had a similar problem.....Chris had me put it in the service mode and set up my BDP-2 and BOT. Now everything works fine.

ishmael010

« Reply #1385 on: 7 Mar 2016, 07:17 pm »
Email Chris. I had a similar problem.....Chris had me put it in the service mode and set up my BDP-2 and BOT. Now everything works fine.
BJ-
What is Chris' email address, I haven't spoken with him. 

ishmael010

« Reply #1386 on: 7 Mar 2016, 07:21 pm »
The list of odd behavior gets larger.  Some CDs won't rip, others will only rip a portion of the tracks, yet others read all, but only convert partially to FLAC or not at all.  Another anomaly, sometimes the cd reads and converts, and tells me the backup is complete, but will not eject the CD.  I'm totally puzzled.

Dane

Fernando

• fernando _at_ -34.899705, -56.158880
« Reply #1387 on: 8 Mar 2016, 02:57 am »
BJ-
What is Chris' email address, I haven't spoken with him.

Dane, I understand BJ (bjski) points to the address at the envelope icon. I have one of these, but  you don't.
You can email Chris through this web interface.
edited: There are both an email and a PM icon, one by side.

Besides, he appears more often at Manic Moose (S2) - BDPs Third  Major Firmware Release, than here.

Good luck, and keep us informed please.
I myself planned to buy a BOT-1, next year or during 2018, not sure ... I still keep my Meridian 508-24 - nonsense selling it where I live.
But planned the same you're trying.

Your (bad) experience is most valuable, for most of us.
I believe it is such for Bryston as well ...  :roll:

Go ahead, please. Remember to post feedback.

Fernando.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1388 on: 8 Mar 2016, 06:13 am »
Starting to sound IIke a problem with the BOT. may need a new drive

Wapiti

« Reply #1389 on: 9 Mar 2016, 02:33 pm »
Or a good cleaning.  A small bit of dust in the wrong location can create remarkable havoc with an optical drive.

AudioEmp

« Reply #1390 on: 9 Mar 2016, 07:17 pm »
Hi Guys!
Had pretty much same issue when setting up a BOT several months ago.
Just a hiccup in the OS of the BDP.

Contact Chris Rice, have him log in and make sure all is good then you may need to do a system reset.

Solved my issue  :D

davidtgoh

« Reply #1391 on: 12 Mar 2016, 02:36 pm »
My BDP-2 with 1TB SSD will arrive next week, and my BDA-3 arrives a few weeks after that.  I have a couple of TB's of AIFF files ripped by iTunes from my CD collection.  Its primarily classical, some jazz, some rock/pop.  I've been playing back via PureMusic, which allows me to keep my extensive iTunes Playlists.  I plan to attach via USB or eSATA an external HD that contains a copy of my entire iTunes music folder with the above files.  HERE'S the question - Should I reorganize the various current folders in iTunes Media/Music on my MacMini in some way to make it more easily recognizable and manipulable into "playlists" when they becomes a source for the BDP-2? (And is there any way to import iTunes playlists so they become the playlist in Bryston's MM or MAX?).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1392 on: 12 Mar 2016, 04:53 pm »
My BDP-2 with 1TB SSD will arrive next week, and my BDA-3 arrives a few weeks after that.  I have a couple of TB's of AIFF files ripped by iTunes from my CD collection.  Its primarily classical, some jazz, some rock/pop.  I've been playing back via PureMusic, which allows me to keep my extensive iTunes Playlists.  I plan to attach via USB or eSATA an external HD that contains a copy of my entire iTunes music folder with the above files.  HERE'S the question - Should I reorganize the various current folders in iTunes Media/Music on my MacMini in some way to make it more easily recognizable and manipulable into "playlists" when they becomes a source for the BDP-2? (And is there any way to import iTunes playlists so they become the playlist in Bryston's MM or MAX?).

Hi David

That's a Chris Rice question for sure - will let him answer.

james

Dave Jameson

« Reply #1393 on: 12 Mar 2016, 05:28 pm »

Hi David,

I'll leave the importing of iTunes Playlists to Chris, as I don't know how to do it. But as for the rest of your iTunes library:

The BDP reads your files based on folder heirarchy. So if you go to Finder and take a look at how your iTunes Music folders are organized, that's how the BDP will see and play them. If it all looks intuitive and organized the way you want it, yeah simply copy the entire Music folder over to another hard drive. But if your music Classical was ripped via iTunes then you may have issue with how or if iTunes set the albums as "compilations" and who iTunes listed as the Album Artist vs performing artist. This can get pretty messy. You can edit the ID tags for each album by right clicking the album and choosing "Get Info".

What I did, and this took a while, is generated folders based on Composer followed by Piece/Album, then Performing Artist. This makes it pretty easy to use the BDP's Manic Moose interface.

That said, if all your files are tagged as you like, you can always use the MPAD interface with you iPad. MPAD supports album artwork via AIFF files and is pretty intuitive, though it is no longer supported by the developer. But currently works fine.

I hope that helps in some way!
DJ

davidtgoh

« Reply #1394 on: 12 Mar 2016, 06:05 pm »
Thanks DJ.  If you do classical, you know classical albums are difficult, because one album may contain numerous pieces by various composers, and the artists on the same album can be an orchestra alone, or an orchestra with soloists.  Still not quite sure what to do.  The reason I need to keep things iTunes friendly is to sync up my iPhone and iPad with music.  I was hoping to actually do an NAS drive with the iTunes music folder that could be read by both the BDP-2 and iTunes, so I would not actually have to copy the ripped file of a new cd to two places (iTunes and Bryston HD).  Additionally, I work out of my home office - what's the best way to control the BDP-2 from your Mac destop?  And of course, Roon sounds like a great possibility - anyone know how to structure files ripped into iTunes to work with Roon?  Any help is appreciate!

Krutsch

« Reply #1395 on: 12 Mar 2016, 07:58 pm »
Thanks DJ.  If you do classical, you know classical albums are difficult, because one album may contain numerous pieces by various composers, and the artists on the same album can be an orchestra alone, or an orchestra with soloists.  Still not quite sure what to do.  The reason I need to keep things iTunes friendly is to sync up my iPhone and iPad with music.  I was hoping to actually do an NAS drive with the iTunes music folder that could be read by both the BDP-2 and iTunes, so I would not actually have to copy the ripped file of a new cd to two places (iTunes and Bryston HD).  Additionally, I work out of my home office - what's the best way to control the BDP-2 from your Mac destop?  And of course, Roon sounds like a great possibility - anyone know how to structure files ripped into iTunes to work with Roon?  Any help is appreciate!

For Music:

To copy your iTunes library to your BDP, here is what *I* have done... your mileage may vary. I will give you the abbreviated version and feel free to ask questions, if any of the below seems too technical.

1. Create Track #1 / Album Smart Playlist - in iTunes, create a SmartPlaylist that selects the first track from each album, automatically.

2. Go to DougScripts.com and download the script: Save Album Art JPEG. Then, go into the playlist you created above, select all and run the script. This will place a folder.jpg file into each album folder.

3. I use a tool called GoodSync to copy from /Volumes/Macintosh HD/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music —> MUSIC-1TB/Music (use the options to ignore bdp_front_*.jpg, bdp_front_*.png, System, Hidden files). This step assumes you are using a USB-attached hard drive for your BDP music, called MUSIC-1TB, which I recommend (name it whatever you want).

4. Search/Find all M4V (music videos) and delete (MUSIC-1TB/Music), using the Finder.

5. Run an app called: BlueHarvest to clear Apple file system data form your FAT32 or exFAT USB HDD for your BDP-1 (MUSIC-1TB);

6. Disconnect your USB HDD and connect it to your BDP-1. Reboot the BDP-1, etc... and let the BDP discover your music.

6. Search/Find all folder.jpg files and delete them using the Mac Finder (/Volumes/Macintosh HD/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music). You want to do this, otherwise when you rename or remove albums from iTunes, it will leave an empty folder.

*Note: you don't need to do ANYTHING to prepare your music for the BDP; leave it as you have it organized, today. You may have some issues with Manic Moose parsing the meta data and creating artwork thumbnails, but we will leave that alone for now.

For Playlists:

1. Download an app called: Playlist Export (Apple app store).

2. Use Playlist Export to export your iTunes playlists (all of them, if you like, but I skip the Smart playlists) to a folder on your Mac HDD.

3. When setting up for export, replace the leading paths for playlist entries to match your BDP. In my case, this means replacing:

/Volumes/Macintosh HD/iTunes/iTunes Media --> MUSIC-1TB

4. You will end up with a collection of *.m3u playlists that exactly match your iTunes playlist collection.

5. Activate the Samba service on your BDP (see the Services tab on the Manic Moose dashboard.

6. Sync or copy the playlists into the USER/playlists

7. Again, make sure you have BlueHarvest running and you add the USER/playlists share to it to avoid creating a lot of hidden Mac system files in the playlists folder on your BDP (these annoyingly show up when browsing playlists in MPaD).

8. Update MPD (i.e. the Update link on the upper-left corner of the Manic Moose web app.

Voila, you have iTunes in your BDP. It looks/sounds like a lot, but it goes quickly once you've gone through it. The nice part about using a syncing tool is you can update the USB HDD for your BDP without copying everything over from the beginning.

davidtgoh

« Reply #1396 on: 12 Mar 2016, 10:46 pm »
I will try this, Krutsch.  Thank you.  Is it possible to use a NAS drive that connects to a BPD-2 via eSATA that also serves as the iTunes Music folder for a Mac - so you only have one HD shared by both the Bryston and Mac?  Anyone want to revisit the question of whether the sound quality of a Ethernet connected NAS is same or worse than a USB connected HD?  I will be running USB out to connect to a BDA-3.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1397 on: 14 Mar 2016, 02:40 pm »
I will try this, Krutsch.  Thank you.  Is it possible to use a NAS drive that connects to a BPD-2 via eSATA that also serves as the iTunes Music folder for a Mac - so you only have one HD shared by both the Bryston and Mac?  Anyone want to revisit the question of whether the sound quality of a Ethernet connected NAS is same or worse than a USB connected HD?  I will be running USB out to connect to a BDA-3.

Depending on how big your collection is you may want to store your music in more then one location in the even of either hardware or software failure so that you don't have to either re-rip or download all your music again.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1398 on: 16 Mar 2016, 10:46 am »
James,

I just got my BDP-2 today.  Hooked it up via usb temporarily into a CEntrace miniDAC.  WOW

Clarity, timbre, decay, touch, bass extension - all the usual audiophile words. 

Can’t wait for the BDA-3 to arrive.

Thanks again for a another truly great product.

David

davidtgoh

« Reply #1399 on: 16 Mar 2016, 12:45 pm »
Sorry if this has been asked before: is there any problem leaving the BDP-2 or BDA-3 always on, so long as there is good ventilation?