New BePure 2's for Pacific Audio Fest

jsalk

New BePure 2's for Pacific Audio Fest
« on: 7 Jul 2022, 07:50 pm »
We'll be headed to the Pacific Audio Fest this July 29th - 31st.

We'll be in room 1357 with McGary Audio and Anticables and will be showing the new BePure 2's. 

I thought that perhaps we should build a special pair for this show and ran across some unique veneer that kind of reminded me of driftwood on the Pacific Coast.  Here are some pictures...

And a close-up...

By the way, Mike McGary will not be able to attend, so Mary and I will be the only ones running the room.  If there is anyone in the Seattle area that would like to volunteer to help run the room, let me know.

Since this is the first audio show in Seattle, we're looking forward to meeting our friends from the Portland, Seattle and Vancouver area.  Should be a fun time.

See you there...

- Jim

whitey019

Re: New BePure 2's for Pacific Audio Fest
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2022, 11:42 pm »
Very Nice!

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2022, 01:35 am »
Those came out great.  Love the look of those.

bajaed

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2022, 02:59 am »
Beautiful! What wood is that?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2022, 04:50 am »
Sweet! I’m very much looking forward to hearing these speakers.

rmdtexas

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2022, 02:57 pm »
Jim,

love the veneer. 

But curious, since the Exogal is up for sale, what DAC will you be using this time?

jsalk

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2022, 03:38 pm »
Beautiful! What wood is that?

It's actually poplar.  But the Italians have a way of dyeing the sheets with a grain pattern.  Even though poplar does not have the darker grain this veneer has, you would never know it is not natural.  It is a form of "manufactured" veneer.  I just thought it looked very unique.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2022, 03:41 pm »
Jim,

love the veneer. 

But curious, since the Exogal is up for sale, what DAC will you be using this time?

We'll be using a Holo Spring 3 DAC with a preamp built in.  It is an R2R DAC that uses no DAC chips, just banks of precision resistors.  Sounds great and is well built. 

We used a version without a preamp at AXPONA this year and loved the results.  So I talked them into building a preamp version and they moved us up the production schedule to made sure we got it on time for the show.

- Jim

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2022, 05:03 pm »
We'll be using a Holo Spring 3 DAC with a preamp built in.  It is an R2R DAC that uses no DAC chips, just banks of precision resistors.  Sounds great and is well built. 

We used a version without a preamp at AXPONA this year and loved the results.  So I talked them into building a preamp version and they moved us up the production schedule to made sure we got it on time for the show.

- Jim

The Holo will be a treat for everyone to hear.

I have had the May for only a month and love the R2R NOS sound with the AVA Vision SET 400 and the HT2-TL.

When you get a couple of days free, check out the HQplayer by Signalyst. The Holo R2R DAC and HQplayer are a perfect pairing. I'm upsampling all PCM to 384kHz, the results have to be heard to be believed, 44.1 has never sounded so good. I was ready to dump HQplayer until I lowered the sampling rate and found the right filter/dither combo. A steep learning curve. I'll be posting a review with info and links in a week or two.

GoldenSound on youtube has the most thorough reviews of the Spring and May using HQplayer and his Discord site has the best explanation of all HQplayer's settings with recommendations.

Demo of the Month: Parov Stelar - Moonlight Love Affair
(don't blow the woofers  :) )

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2022, 10:09 pm »
…Demo of the Month: Parov Stelar - Moonlight Love Affair
(don't blow the woofers  :) )

Any particular track?

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2022, 10:34 pm »
Any particular track?

Candy Girl and Black Bird are examples of their range of styles. "Moonlight Love Affair" is more varied than "Voodoo Sonic", everyone will have their favorite.
Dance/Party music. I can imagine all the chairs in the Salk room moved out of the way and a big after hours dance party. And the neighbors yelling "TURN IT DOWN!"

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 8 Jul 2022, 10:37 pm »
Candy Girl and Black Bird are examples of their range of styles. "Moonlight Love Affair" is more varied than "Voodoo Sonic", everyone will have their favorite.
Dance/Party music. I can imagine all the chairs in the Salk room moved out of the way and a big after hours dance party. And the neighbors yelling "TURN IT DOWN!"

Thanks.  I’ll give it a listen. 🙂

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jul 2022, 10:44 pm »
A Parov Stelar concert. They haven't been discovered in the US yet. 100% fun!
"Austria’s internationally most successful artists and often called the founder of Electro Swing."

Saturn94

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jul 2022, 03:08 am »

Listening now on headphones (I’ll listen again on the main system at a more appropriate hour).  There’s some fun stuff in there.  :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2022, 07:05 pm »
NOTE:  This pair of speakers in the first post will be available at the show for the "Introductory Price" of $6295 (no charge for the custom veneer).  After the show, the official price will be $6895 per pair. 

- Jim

Bubba12

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jul 2022, 11:51 pm »
The Holo Spring Dac is fantastic. Curious to know how good it is with the preamp module. Good looking speaker.

mresseguie

« Reply #16 on: 30 Jul 2022, 09:35 pm »
I’m sitting in the Salk room now…beautiful music washing over me. The room is untreated, yet it still sounds so good; so clear; so effortless.

newzooreview

« Reply #17 on: 30 Jul 2022, 10:05 pm »
A Youtube channel, Audiophile Junkie, posted a visit to the Salk room yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IChimOVZin8

Mudslide

« Reply #18 on: 30 Jul 2022, 10:40 pm »
I’m sitting in the Salk room now…beautiful music washing over me. The room is untreated, yet it still sounds so good; so clear; so effortless.

Agh, Michael...you know I am SO jealous!   :(  Buy that pair of Salks.  Now.   :D

Have a good time, Jim and Mary.  Sorry to miss your visit to our lovely northwest.

mresseguie

« Reply #19 on: 31 Jul 2022, 01:20 am »
Agh, Michael...you know I am SO jealous!   :(  Buy that pair of Salks.  Now.   :D

Have a good time, Jim and Mary.  Sorry to miss your visit to our lovely northwest.

Mary mentioned you and your Lincoln City audio show today!  :thumb:

I tried to slip one of the room cards into my pocket, but Jim's got eagle eyes, so I didn't succeed. It's just as well. He may have suspected me if I had succeeded in sneaking the speakers out in the middle of the night. Darn it!  :green: