SPATIAL AUDIO - X1 UNIWAVE INTRODUCTION

targa02

Re: SPATIAL AUDIO - X1 UNIWAVE INTRODUCTION
« Reply #160 on: 7 Jan 2017, 10:59 pm »
How far from Pacifica are you?
I am just a few miles from Pacifica.  A 20 minute drive.  Are you close by?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #161 on: 7 Jan 2017, 11:01 pm »
I am just a few miles from Pacifica.  A 20 minute drive.  Are you close by?
No but my brother lives there.  Perhaps I'll bring my LIO with the X1 amp module at some point.   ;)

targa02

« Reply #162 on: 8 Jan 2017, 12:55 am »
Hi Jason.  That would be great!  Even if you don't bring the LIO, please let me know when you are in town.  I would like to meet you.  Gary

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #163 on: 15 Jan 2017, 02:15 pm »
Hi Jason.  That would be great!  Even if you don't bring the LIO, please let me know when you are in town.  I would like to meet you.  Gary
Sounds good!   :thumb:

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #164 on: 23 Jan 2017, 02:25 am »
Clayton,

Can you please comment on the differences between the X1 and the Lumina?  Clearly, there are design differences so discussion of that as well as sound and presentation differences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

jpm

« Reply #165 on: 23 Jan 2017, 03:39 pm »
Saddened to see the price of these continues to jump. From the initial estimate of $10k, we're now at $14k ... :(

roscoeiii

« Reply #166 on: 23 Jan 2017, 06:34 pm »
Saddened to see the price of these continues to jump. From the initial estimate of $10k, we're now at $14k ... :(

Hasn't this already been addressed in this thread or the other X1 thread? Or was a change in price mentioned somewhere that I didn't see? There was a difference in domestic vs. internationally pricing that was mentioned, but I think that the take-home from that discussion was that the US price is still ~$10,000 + processing solution of your choice.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #167 on: 23 Jan 2017, 07:31 pm »
Hasn't this already been addressed in this thread or the other X1 thread? Or was a change in price mentioned somewhere that I didn't see? There was a difference in domestic vs. internationally pricing that was mentioned, but I think that the take-home from that discussion was that the US price is still ~$10,000 + processing solution of your choice.

The price has not actually gone up. The production version is finished in such a way that the surface is not painted MDF now, so the option for a utility flat black version is not possible. The world list price for the gloss finishes was always planned to be $14K, with the utility version originally planned at a world list price of $12K as discussed in prior posts. USA customers can call for factory delivered pricing in the lower 48 states. Sorry if that caused some confusion. We have done everything possible to keep the price reasonable including a serial production line for high volume and quick turnaround times. We have set up a dedicated facility that produces only X1s. The X1 easily competes with speakers at $50K and above, so it a relative bargain.

Clayton Shaw
Spatial Audio
www.spatialaudio.us

jpm

« Reply #168 on: 23 Jan 2017, 07:47 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, Clayton.  Definitely an exciting product that's high on my aspiration list.

TimS

« Reply #169 on: 23 Jan 2017, 10:48 pm »
Apologies if this has been asked before:  Clayton, when do you see the X1's coming off the production line and shipping to USA customers?
Thanks

Spatial Audio

« Reply #170 on: 23 Jan 2017, 11:29 pm »
Apologies if this has been asked before:  Clayton, when do you see the X1's coming off the production line and shipping to USA customers?
Thanks

We will start shipping in February.

Clayton

Spatial Audio

« Reply #171 on: 23 Jan 2017, 11:35 pm »
Here is a shot of the X1 in White with Black trim.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #172 on: 23 Jan 2017, 11:40 pm »
Clayton,

Perhaps the question about the price which was posted just after my question caused it to be overlooked so I would like to ask you to review that and give your thoughts.   

Thanks,
James

Spatial Audio

« Reply #173 on: 24 Jan 2017, 04:44 am »
Clayton,

Can you please comment on the differences between the X1 and the Lumina?  Clearly, there are design differences so discussion of that as well as sound and presentation differences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Hi James,

The Lumina and the X1 differ somewhat in terms of hardware, but are based on the same theory. The Lumina is a 3-way design with coaxial mid/treble and a powered, servo bass system. It works and sounds extremely good and was developed in 2014.

With the development of the X1's Uniwave dipole driver that covers a broader spectrum (300Hz to 20kHz) in a single driver, the 3-way approach was no longer necessary. Along with the non-servo 18inch dipole woofer, I was in a position to create a simpler, 2-way design with tremendous performance.

Both designs achieve a similar end result sonically, but the X1 is less expensive and plays louder. The X1 also has better polar performance because of its waveguide design and is faster and more coherent in the lower midrange region. It has a oneness to the sound that I have only heard in full range electrostatic speakers. Impedance plots are shown here. Frequency response is essentially flat due to external EQ. I will post polar plots of the X1 soon. Note the ultra low inductance of the 18 inch woofer. One coil is measured of the two, which is why the plot indicates an 8Ω impedance. The twin coils are wired in parallel in the X1 for a nominal 4Ω result.

Clayton

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #174 on: 24 Jan 2017, 02:58 pm »
Both designs achieve a similar end result sonically, but the X1 is less expensive and plays louder. The X1 also has better polar performance because of its waveguide design and is faster and more coherent in the lower midrange region. It has a oneness to the sound that I have only heard in full range electrostatic speakers.

I surmised as much! Yes, my money would be on the X1, but I have a tremendous bias for well designed waveguide based designs  :wink:

Very much looking forward to the polar plots Clayton!  :thumb:

Best,
Anand.

5acres

« Reply #175 on: 24 Jan 2017, 06:24 pm »
Hi Clayton

I was talking to a friend in the US a few days ago about the X1 speakers and he told me he was quoted $12,000 for the speakers rather than the $14,000 shown on the Spatial website.
Hope you don't mind me asking but is this because you have an agreement with your overseas distributors that you won' give non US buyers the discounted rate you offer youe US customer's?

Spatial Audio

« Reply #176 on: 24 Jan 2017, 08:40 pm »
Hi Clayton

I was talking to a friend in the US a few days ago about the X1 speakers and he told me he was quoted $12,000 for the speakers rather than the $14,000 shown on the Spatial website.
Hope you don't mind me asking but is this because you have an agreement with your overseas distributors that you won' give non US buyers the discounted rate you offer youe US customer's?

The listed world price is $14K. Shipments outside the US involve all kinds of fees, taxes, import duties and overseas freight. Local freight is the only cost involved for USA customers, so naturally the price is lower for them. Our website clearly states that USA customers can call for local pricing and freight estimates. If you have specific price or purchase questions for your country, please email me directly at claytonshawis@gmail.com

Thanks,
Clayton Shaw
Spatial Audio
www.spatialaudio.us

mirekti

« Reply #177 on: 19 Apr 2017, 08:13 pm »
Here is a shot of the X1 in White with Black trim.

Wow, this is the best looking version so far (if you asked me).
Is this gloss white or satin white?
Also, is there something on the top and the sides? It looks as if there is some gray line on the sides and a gray cover on the top? If there is, I guess this can also be in black.

Is it ok to assume pricing is as follows?

$10 000 - Regular finish US market
$12 000 - Regular finish world market
$12 000 - Gloss finish US market
$14 000 - Gloss finish world market

roscoeiii

« Reply #178 on: 20 Apr 2017, 03:00 pm »
Wow, this is the best looking version so far (if you asked me).
Is this gloss white or satin white?
Also, is there something on the top and the sides? It looks as if there is some gray line on the sides and a gray cover on the top? If there is, I guess this can also be in black.

Is it ok to assume pricing is as follows?

$10 000 - Regular finish US market
$12 000 - Regular finish world market
$12 000 - Gloss finish US market
$14 000 - Gloss finish world market

Why not just call, e-mail or PM directly?

ohmboy

« Reply #179 on: 27 Jun 2017, 04:56 pm »
Agree that the production model is visually stunning... great job on the form factor, Clayton... hearkens back to Evett & Shaw days of the Elan and the gorgeous Flatte amp.  Ken Askew