For Japanese knife enthusiasts....

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: For Japanese knife enthusiasts....
« Reply #340 on: 13 Jul 2020, 11:51 pm »
Excellent! Sounds like you guys approve of my choice. That makes me happy!   :lol:

kenreau

« Reply #341 on: 14 Jul 2020, 07:54 pm »
Looking for recommendations for a knife type that works really well on tomatoes and onions (in 1" up to 3" diameter range)

I've had a Shun Classic Serrated Utility Knife, 6" for nearly 5 years now. Their description reads; "slim, serrated blade cuts cleanly and efficiently without tearing or squashing delicate foods like tomatoes and baked goods"  It does work great on Tomatoes, Limes, Lemons in the 1"-3" range.  Any larger diameter and I'll use one of my Chefs knifes.

The Shun has worked great over the past 5 years, but the serrations are nearly worn away and Shun does not sharpen the serrated knives.  My notion is much of this knives success has to do with the serrations getting through the skins of tomatoes and onions.  I've done my best to tune them up over the years, but its time to move on to try something else, or just get the current equivalent replacement.

In some quick reading, I wonder if a Nakiris type works well on tomatoes? (since designed specifically for working with vegetables)  I didn't read any notes, or reviews on the Nakiris
working with tomatoes so I am not certain if its a good fit.

Knife types I'm currently considering (in 165mm range);
>Nakiris
>Kiritsuke
>Slicing knife
>another Serrated utility knife (replacement)

Other knives on hand in the stable include;
Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Petty 150mm
Itto-Ryu Hammered White #2 Santoku 165mm
Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Gyuto 210mm
Shun Classic paring 4"
Shun Classic Chef's 10"

I had high hopes the Itto-Ryu Santoku would work well on the tomatoes and onions, but the hammered blade seems to be too thick and interferes with thin slicing, as well as penetrating the tomatoes skins.

Any task specific favorite recommendations out there?

Thanks in advance
Kenreau

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #342 on: 14 Jul 2020, 10:44 pm »
You already have several knives that should handle tomatoes with ease. The chef knives and the larger petty should do the job.  What is your sharpening routine?
As far as nakiris, they do a great job both slicing and dicing.  One of my least expensive knives is a Tojiro White #2 nakiri... it gets screaming sharp and works very well.   
This knife will do any of the one handed trick cuts you can pull up on youtube.  I think they're fifty bucks. Takes a great edge, but doesn't hold it long- needs stropping if you use it all day. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #343 on: 15 Jul 2020, 12:21 am »
That looks like fun!

kenreau

« Reply #344 on: 15 Jul 2020, 01:49 am »
Thanks, that Nakiri looks like something low risk to try out.  I use an EdgePro sharpening system and just ran all the knives through it. They were getting dull and that sharpening certainly did wonders.  I need to do that more often.

You already have several knives that should handle tomatoes with ease. The chef knives and the larger petty should do the job.  What is your sharpening routine?
As far as nakiris, they do a great job both slicing and dicing.  One of my least expensive knives is a Tojiro White #2 nakiri... it gets screaming sharp and works very well.   
This knife will do any of the one handed trick cuts you can pull up on youtube.  I think they're fifty bucks. Takes a great edge, but doesn't hold it long- needs stropping if you use it all day. 

S Clark

« Reply #345 on: 15 Jul 2020, 02:39 am »
Your EdgePro takes all the guesswork out of it.  If you can go to up to 4000 grit, all your knives will slice tomatoes.  Take it up to 8000K and they cut to the touch.  Strop with leather and diamond spray and they just fall into little bits when the tomato sees the knife coming.  :thumb:
I also use an EdgePro when the knives get dull, but I touch up with a 5000 Shapton to a 15K Shapton, or strop on leather.... and tomatoes are usually what tell me it's time to touch up.. 

kenreau

« Reply #346 on: 17 Jul 2020, 07:06 pm »
Ok, thanks, I'll try out those polishing levels. To date I've used the 2000 tape, but nothing finer.  Those must be like a mirror finish level.

Thanks again
Kenreau

Your EdgePro takes all the guesswork out of it.  If you can go to up to 4000 grit, all your knives will slice tomatoes.  Take it up to 8000K and they cut to the touch.  Strop with leather and diamond spray and they just fall into little bits when the tomato sees the knife coming.  :thumb:
I also use an EdgePro when the knives get dull, but I touch up with a 5000 Shapton to a 15K Shapton, or strop on leather.... and tomatoes are usually what tell me it's time to touch up..

S Clark

« Reply #347 on: 17 Jul 2020, 11:00 pm »
A 2000 tape is certainly fine enough to easily cut tomatoes.  What is your starting stone? Could you have moved up to quickly????
Most sharpeners feel for a burr before moving up.  I usually don't- I count strokes instead... 8,5,3,2,1 on a side.

Philistine

« Reply #348 on: 21 Aug 2020, 04:52 pm »
Late to the game on this one, but just bought my first entry level knife from chefknivestogo: Tojiro DP Gyuto 210mm.
I've had Wusthof's for years but recently broke one so thought I'd explore this alternate option.  Chefknivestogo are great to deal with, and I'm impressed with the first purchase - one of the reviews on their website says 'the knife is so sharp I can shave with it' and I concur, I thought my Wusthof was sharp but this takes it to the next level (hifi speak).

So thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Also interesting that the same guys that are into hifi are also into grilling, coffee etc etc....must be the OCD traits coming out  :icon_lol:

S Clark

« Reply #349 on: 21 Aug 2020, 05:21 pm »
The Tojiro DP line will cut much more easily and keep an edge much longer than your Wusthof.  But be aware there is a trade off.  It will also not handle abuse as well.  The Japanese push the VG 10 steel much harder than their European competitors.  The higher Rockwell rating comes with a greater tendency to chip, so be aware you have a more delicate blade.  No throwing it into the sink, no cutting up to bones.  Hard squash require a firm hand as you don't want the blade to twist during the cut.  If you have used a steel to bring back your edge on your German knives, you may find stropping on leather to be more gentle-although I've not heard others mention it, I've chipped edges with a steel. 
But, your new knife will cut sooo much more easily, and will take a much more refined edge.  I think the DP line is sharpened to 15* per side compared to the Wusthof 22*, so you'll need to modify your sharpening a bit. 
Overall, the Tojiro DP 210 Gyuto is a great introduction into Japanese knives.  Congrats on your purchase.  :thumb:

Philistine

« Reply #350 on: 21 Aug 2020, 06:46 pm »
I haven't ventured down the path of sharpening - I'm intimidated by it and looks like it requires a skill set I don't have.  I bought the Tojiro Pro sharpener  :oops:

S Clark

« Reply #351 on: 21 Aug 2020, 07:27 pm »
I haven't ventured down the path of sharpening - I'm intimidated by it and looks like it requires a skill set I don't have.  I bought the Tojiro Pro sharpener  :oops:
Not a problem.  Will sharpen for vinyl.   :thumb:

The Tojiro sharpener seems to get good reviews, so it may be exactly what you need.  And there is a lot to be said about keeping things easy and simple. 
Looking at that sharpener, it has a #320 grit wheel ( coarse) and a #1000 grit wheel (medium).  I would use a 320 to reprofile a blade, as in having to reshape the blade to take out a bad chip, but not what you'd want to use in regular sharpening. Use your 1000 grit for most touch ups and stay away from the 320 until it just won't sharpen with the 1000.  I can't find at what angle the wheels are set-- I'd hope it matches your knife.  If you find that you can't keep it sharp to you liking, just pay the shipping and I'll sharpen it for you.  Or I think Rob sharpens professionally. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #352 on: 21 Aug 2020, 11:59 pm »
I wonder what his knife is sharpened to at this point. Meaning, if they shipped it sharped to 5k, and he sharpens it to 1k, he's going to become frustrated.
Anyway, enjoy the knife, looks like a dandy!

jules

« Reply #353 on: 24 Aug 2020, 04:08 pm »
What is it with tomatoes and knives? They look so innocent and yet they're demons at juuuust taking the edge off  :lol:

nature boy

« Reply #354 on: 13 Sep 2023, 11:56 am »
Incoming. Purchased a set of Kochi knives from John Broida @ Japanese Knife Imports in LA. Looking forward to wet stone knife sharpening on these high quality knives. They'll be replacing my aging Tojori stainless knife set.

NB

Ericus Rex

« Reply #355 on: 13 Sep 2023, 12:25 pm »
My friend is making some really awesome pattern-steel knives.  Yes, she forges the billets herself!

https://eatingtools.com/blogs/eliane-leblanc-massachusetts

S Clark

« Reply #356 on: 13 Sep 2023, 06:46 pm »
Incoming. Purchased a set of Kochi knives from John Broida @ Japanese Knife Imports in LA. Looking forward to wet stone knife sharpening on these high quality knives. They'll be replacing my aging Tojori stainless knife set.

NB
I looked over those knives... only saw one comment about chipping.  Most simply say "carbon" steel.  I'm guessing they are White #2 as it's a common knife steel in Japan, easy to sharpen to extremely sharp edges.  There are steels that hold an edge longer, but not many that sharpen as well.   
But who knows.  Japanese knives come in probably 10-12 carbon steels, each with their particular character.     
Let us know how you like them after several months and a couple of sharpening sessions go by.   New knives are like Christmas morning.  :thumb:

kmmd

« Reply #357 on: 21 Sep 2023, 02:18 pm »
My wife and I just returned from a wonderful 3-week vacation to Japan.  Of course on my list of must buy things are Japanese knives.  We ended up buying a santoku and nakiri.  I had my list of stores that I wanted to visit including Seisuke, Shun, Kamata and Tsubaya. On our second day in Tokyo we visited the Senso-ji temple in Asakusa and little did I know that Seisuke has a large store there.  The first knife purchased is a Yoshimi Kato R2/SG2 Damascus bunka 165mm.

We returned to Tokyo for our final 4 nights in Japan and visited Tsukiji.  I still don’t know why I ate some of things there.  Anyway, we visited the Tsukiji branch Seisuke and purchased our Yu Kurosaki Fujin SPG2 (R2) 165mm nakiri with olive tree and turquoise ferrule handle.  We are excited to use these knives, and I’m sure they’ll last for many years to come.

Both knives

S Clark

« Reply #358 on: 21 Sep 2023, 05:21 pm »
Wow. Those are nice knives.  I've got a Santoku by Yu Kurosaki's brother.... one of his early, basic offerings.  It's so balanced and light. Just a joy.   
And I'm a big fan of nakiris every time I chop veggies.   
Sounds like a great trip.     :thumb: