Custom Knives

sts9fan

Custom Knives
« on: 20 Jul 2020, 12:53 am »
Seems like some people here like fancy knives. Anyone collect non Japanese style blades?  I have cooking knives by a bunch of amazing makers. Most are American. Here is a pic of a few. 
[

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Custom Knives
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jul 2020, 04:07 am »
Cool!  What are the characteristics that you like best about them?  I have a few old knives, but certainly not a collection.  I have the knife my great grandfather made for my great grandmother somewhere around 1905.  When I was a boy he told me the blade was from a broken two man crosscut saw blade, and the handle looks like it was the butt end  of a broken axe handle.  It isn't a bad kitchen knife. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jul 2020, 04:44 am »
All of my kitchen knives are Japanese except for a couple by CKTG that are American-made copies of J-knives.

sts9fan

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2020, 01:22 pm »
I enjoy them on many levels. They are works of art that you can use daily and enjoy. Most of them are carbon steel which I find easy to keep sharp although that has been less of an issue now what I sharpen many knives from a rough primary bevel. Different makers knives all have different feels and perform differently which is fun. I like a tall chef knife so the middle ones from Nick Rossi I love. Finally I like supporting modern craftsman and I use that inspiration in my hobby knife making.

Sparkeysf

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2020, 05:32 am »
Seems like some people here like fancy knives. Anyone collect non Japanese style blades?  I have cooking knives by a bunch of amazing makers. Most are American. Here is a pic of a few. 
[

Wow, nice! You've got some interesting knives.

I've got quite a large collection of very old Sabatiers. Love these things, but I'm not finding as many as I used to in antique shops and thrift stores. The only newer knives I own are Japanese. I usually pick out one or two from various knife makers on yearly trips visiting family in Japan.