I’ve never grilled a steak! Until tomorrow!!

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
Re: I’ve never grilled a steak! Until tomorrow!!
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2020, 04:33 pm »
Rib eye, bring to room temp. Kosher or sea salt and fresh ground black pepper rubbed in on both sides. Place on HOT grill 5 minutes per side = medium.
Cover steak with Sauteed sliced Cremini mushrooms in butter with finely chopped garlic.
Fresh Asparagus coated with olive oil sprinkle with Kosher or sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, place directly on the grill till done.
That's how we do it.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2020, 04:39 pm »

I suspect that one reason for the explosion in the use of spicing and other flavours in cooking, has been the relatively tasteless standard of meat today. People here who might have been raised on a farm where they produced their own meat would no doubt be aware of this.
We raised our own beef for the first 45 years of my life.  Store bought is certainly more tender, but not as flavorful.  My favorite cut was the club steak from the front of the short loin area. A good T bone is similar.  Salt, pepper, and perhaps a bit of garlic, a hot grill and plenty of smoke.  KISS method is best. 
A choice cut is the best flavor/$, and prime can sometimes be too fatty for my taste. 

stlrman

« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2020, 04:59 pm »
Thanks again for all the awesome tips and advice !!!!!

Picked her up today already built .  :thumb: Running her for 15 minutes as per instructions.
Costco order coming tomorrow.  3 choice Ribeye! :P
Here is a couple of pics . BBQ is perfect size for my needs . 7 raised garden beds . I moved about 4 thousand pounds of dirt by wheel barrel . My wife helped .
The temp said 650* after 15 minutes of all three burners going high and lid closed.
Should I shoot for 375-425 cooking temp?

sunnydaze

« Reply #23 on: 22 May 2020, 05:07 pm »
I like Ribeye.

Bring steak to room temp and sprinkle both sides with my home-made rub and kosher salt to taste.  Then employ the usual simple cook method of quick sear both sides on super hot grill (or cast iron pan) to medium rare, and rest under foil.

Rub:  dry mustard powder, dried oregano, chili powder,  black pepper in a ratio of 4/3/2/1 respectively.  Don't forget salt to taste.

I previously used Canadian / Montreal rub but I much prefer the above.

Mag

« Reply #24 on: 22 May 2020, 05:21 pm »
425 degrees, with steak you want a fast cook.

S Clark

« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2020, 05:42 pm »
425 degrees, with steak you want a fast cook.
Agree, sort of.  I start hot, and choke the fire to get more smoke.  Depending on the steak, 8-10 minutes per side.  When cooking over wood, you can't just pick a number- got to be flexible.  With your rig  you'll have fewer variables, and you'll finally get a feel for what works.  Patience.  It may take several attempts. 

twitch54

« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2020, 05:46 pm »
Thanks again for all the awesome tips and advice !!!!!

Picked her up today already built .  :thumb: Running her for 15 minutes as per instructions.
Costco order coming tomorrow.  3 choice Ribeye! :P
Here is a couple of pics . BBQ is perfect size for my needs . 7 raised garden beds . I moved about 4 thousand pounds of dirt by wheel barrel . My wife helped .
The temp said 650* after 15 minutes of all three burners going high and lid closed.
Should I shoot for 375-425 cooking temp?

Todd, congrats on the new 'toy' !

IMO and what works best for me is grill at a high heat to get good sear and maintain juicy 'innards' !. On my Weber Genesis a typical NY Strip or Ribeye (1 1/2-1 3/4" thick) it's 5 min on one side and 4 min on the other, resulting in a nice 'Pittsburg med/rare'. My pre cooking routine is to take the steaks out of the frig an hour beforehand, light coating of olive oil with Montreal Steak seasoning.

twitch54

« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2020, 05:50 pm »
Agree, sort of.  I start hot, and choke the fire to get more smoke.  Depending on the steak, 8-10 minutes per side.  When cooking over wood, you can't just pick a number- got to be flexible.  With your rig  you'll have fewer variables, and you'll finally get a feel for what works.  Patience.  It may take several attempts.

interesting, at 8-10 min a side are you cooking the whole herd of cattle !

mcgsxr

« Reply #28 on: 22 May 2020, 06:14 pm »
Black Angus is my preferred.

I happen to love Striploins.  Nothing against a rib or filet, I just love the texture of a medium strip.

Strictly Dalmatian rub for me (sea salt and freshly cracked pepper).

I’ve tended to do hot hot sear and then indirect to hit my desired doneness - then rest at the end.

I’m also partial to a pat of butter on top as it rests.

Have fun with the Q!

S Clark

« Reply #29 on: 22 May 2020, 06:32 pm »
interesting, at 8-10 min a side are you cooking the whole herd of cattle !
There are so many factors.  I like 1.25 to 1.50 inch thick steaks as thinner steaks overcook quickly.  I get a solid fire going to heat the expanded metal grill, put on the steak and cut the air until the fire smolders, reducing heat and providing smoke.   7-8 minutes later flip.  My pit is dependent on ambient temp.  Cooking in summer is a couple of minutes faster than winter.  And my pit/grill is bigger than the average gas grill... made from the end of a large propane tank... probably 40" diameter.

twitch54

« Reply #30 on: 22 May 2020, 06:48 pm »
There are so many factors.  I like 1.25 to 1.50 inch thick steaks as thinner steaks overcook quickly.  I get a solid fire going to heat the expanded metal grill, put on the steak and cut the air until the fire smolders, reducing heat and providing smoke.   7-8 minutes later flip.  My pit is dependent on ambient temp.  Cooking in summer is a couple of minutes faster than winter.  And my pit/grill is bigger than the average gas grill... made from the end of a large propane tank... probably 40" diameter.

getting better, your 8-10 is down to 7-8 !

Understand the variables with wood / charcoal cooking. My Weber can maintain 600+ in the summertime (higher propane pressure) As for thickness, agreed anything thinner than what you mentioned is just not a 'real' steak !

twitch54

« Reply #31 on: 22 May 2020, 06:49 pm »

I happen to love Striploins. 

NY or KC ?

Brettio

« Reply #32 on: 22 May 2020, 06:59 pm »
Hanger steaks for me.  My local rancher got me hooked. 

stlrman

« Reply #33 on: 22 May 2020, 07:42 pm »
Montreal seasoning on the way from Amazon...

twitch54

« Reply #34 on: 22 May 2020, 07:50 pm »

You love it and if you ever get to Montreal be sure to treat yourself to where it all began ..........

https://queuedecheval.com

IMO, 'the' best I've ever had.......

sunnydaze

« Reply #35 on: 22 May 2020, 08:09 pm »

I used Montreal for years......

Try the rub I mentioned above.   I much prefer it to Montreal, but YMMV.

twitch54

« Reply #36 on: 22 May 2020, 08:25 pm »
I used Montreal for years......

Try the rub I mentioned above.   I much prefer it to Montreal, but YMMV.

i'll have to give it a try ... :thumb:

S Clark

« Reply #37 on: 24 May 2020, 12:28 am »
Sooo, Stlrman, how did the steak turn out? 
Mine's about to come off the grill as I type.   

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #38 on: 24 May 2020, 12:42 am »
PICTURES..... PLEASE... !!!!   :popcorn:

stlrman

« Reply #39 on: 26 May 2020, 12:52 am »
Ok , tonight was the night !!! :thumb: :thumb:
It was Prime cut Ribeye 🥩. I meant to get choice , but mix up with my wife ordering . Costco 3 pack.
Two are in the freezer.
Well , I’d say I kicked some major butt for my first go round !!!! The steak tasted absolutely glorious!!!!
The Montreal seasoning is the bomb 💣 !!! I heard rosemary salt is incredible from an Argentine guy in an article.  Nothing fancy on the side tonight. A veggie potato medley that comes frozen ready to put on the grill.
It was good actually. We will be doing our own veggies , and from our own garden soon too. Radishes picked today .
I’d say my cooking to medium rare was near perfect . Taste was incredible. Well here you go :

What say ye? Hope everyone had a nice holiday!!!