Coffee

ZLS

Coffee
« on: 3 Mar 2016, 05:07 pm »
    I have been drinking Hawaiian Coffee (best that I have ever tried)
    and am wondering if anyone can recommend a Gourmet Coffee Site where I can learn (and order)
    other types of Coffee.
    Any and all input is welcome. 

Thank You 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Coffee
« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2016, 05:18 pm »
Get a decent grinder, a small roaster, and check out Burman Coffee- decent prices for green coffee beans.  Also check out Sweet Maria's... better info but higher prices.
Fresh roasted is like getting a good vinyl cleaning system; it's a game changer.

rbbert

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2016, 05:34 pm »
Most of the major Kona growers will sell their product direct.  If you sign up for regular shipments you get a discount as well as access to special sales prices scattered throughout the year.  Mountain Thunder, Greenwell Farms, Kona Coffee and Tea Company are a few of them.  There is also Kauai Coffee, not as good but much less expensive, and growers on Maui and Oahu.

randytsuch

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2016, 05:52 pm »
Like Clark said, you have to get fresh roasted coffee. 
You have to find coffee roasters who put the roast date on their coffee, so you know when it was roasted.
Coffee should be used within a couple weeks of the roast date, a month at the very most.

I use http://redbirdcoffee.com/
I buy their five pound bags (good deal for fresh coffee). 
When the coffee arrives, I will vacuum pack them in about 1/2 pound bags.  The size of the bag depends on your usage, I aim for a bag to last around a week.  All the bags are stuck in the freezer, and pulled out when needed.  Let them defrost before breaking the seal, so you don't get moisture on the beans.

Grind just before you're ready to use.

Randy

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2016, 06:04 pm »
This place has the best espresso beans I have ever tried:

http://espressovivace.com/index.php/category/shop/

Agree that you need a good grinder to get the most out of your coffee. A burr grinder is worth the expense. And if you get into espresso at home, be sure to get a grinder capable of an appropriately fine espresso grind.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2016, 06:12 pm »
Great topic ZLS.

Whats your guys's preferred method of brewing? Since I started using the Aeropress I haven't tried anything else. No cream, no sugar, just delicious black coffee.

roscoe65

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2016, 06:14 pm »
While fresh roasted is best, there are a couple of things to keep in mind:

1.  Roasting is a skill that takes time to learn.  You'll mess up much more than you do it right.
2.  You have to wait 24 - 48 hours before you can use your fresh roasted coffee.  It needs time for chemical reactions to occur.
3.  While vacuum packing is great, freezing or refrigerating is not.  It kills some of the coffee aromatics.

If you live in an area with coffee shops that roast their own, can and should get beans from them.  Alternatively, you can order coffee from reputable roasters who will ship fresh roasted coffee.  I have a particular fondness for Bluebottle Coffee.  Most of your benefits will derive from properly making the coffee itself.  My personal favorite method is the pour over method.  This takes some investment.  My setup includes:

1.  Hario Woodneck Pour Over http://www.amazon.com/Hario-DPW-1-Drip-Pot-240ml/dp/B0006HINCE
2.  Baratza Conical Burr Grinder http://www.amazon.com/Baratza-Encore-Conical-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B00LW8122Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1457028548&sr=1-1&keywords=baratza&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011
3.  Bona Vita Electric Kettle http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-Variable-Temperature-Electric-Gooseneck/dp/B005YR0F40/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457028616&sr=8-2&keywords=hario+electric+kettle

You'll note we're up to about $250 in equipment before buying beans.  You can do this cheaper, using a hand burr grinder, Aeropress and heating water on the stove for a total of $50 in equipment, but I have found the better equipment makes making good coffee easier and more predictable.  Like most hobbies, you can spend a little or spend a lot.

electricbear

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2016, 06:17 pm »
I used Barnies Coffee Kitchen just before Christmas to get presents for people. They have a good selection and all different price levels.
www.barniescoffeekitchen.com

mick wolfe

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2016, 06:19 pm »
Get a decent grinder, a small roaster, and check out Burman Coffee- decent prices for green coffee beans.  Also check out Sweet Maria's... better info but higher prices.
Fresh roasted is like getting a good vinyl cleaning system; it's a game changer.

Agreed. Roasting your own guarantees you're not getting a bag of roasted beans that's been sitting for 2 or 3 weeks. Sweet Maria's is my go to choice for green beans as well.

GentleBender

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2016, 07:14 pm »
I've enjoyed quite a few different coffees from Nuts.com. I was scared to type it into the browser's address bar the first time, but they have some great stuff.  :lol: https://nuts.com/coffeesteas/coffees/

Mocha Java is a great blend.

stlrman

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2016, 07:21 pm »
I only drink one cup a day, and I must admit, I use PODS :oops: :duh:
Are there any rich ,bold tasting pods? (lets say from Sams Club or others)   I use bold flavor.
Thanks

jaywills

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2016, 07:24 pm »
Ah, welcome to one of my favorite bad habits, coffee!  Since you mentioned Hawaiian coffee, I have some suggestions to offer.

Kona certified coffee is my favorite from the islands, followed by a Maui Mocca (both bought green).  My main supply of Kona beans, is Kona Cloud Coffee (http://www.konacloudcoffee.com/) (no affiliation), which is offline right now.  It's owner was a heart surgeon here in Arkansas who went into it as a tax write-off, but made so much money, he's quit practicing and has moved to Hawaii.  In the meantime,

Sweet Maria's (https://www.sweetmarias.com/) (no affiliation) and Gold Star Coffee (http://goldstarcoffee.com/) (no affiliation) are good sources of island mountain beans, depending upon current pricing.  I've got the FreshRoast 500 roaster Sweet Maria's sells and I have had great success with it out on my screened porch. 

In addition to the two Hawaiian beans I mentioned above, you might consider trying some Jamaca Blue Mountain peaberry, as well as some Costa Rican coffees.  Roasting takes about 6 to 12 minutes per .25 of a pound in the FreshRoast, depending upon ambient temperature.  IMHO, the beans are best when burr ground and brewed from 24-72 hours after roasting.  Of course, don't grind until right before you brew.

Naturally, YMMV.  Best of luck.  Cordially,

Syrah

« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2016, 07:52 pm »
I'm no expert here, but I've never really liked ultra freshly ground coffee.  I find it best a good 48 hours after roasting, and is still pretty good for a few weeks.  I read somewhere that vacuum packed is not ideal because the coffee needs to exhaust, which is why a lot of store coffee has a one way air valve.  Again, no expert though.

Big fan of sumatra mandheling.

roscoe65

« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2016, 07:59 pm »
I'm no expert here, but I've never really liked ultra freshly ground coffee.  I find it best a good 48 hours after roasting, and is still pretty good for a few weeks.  I read somewhere that vacuum packed is not ideal because the coffee needs to exhaust, which is why a lot of store coffee has a one way air valve.  Again, no expert though.

Big fan of sumatra mandheling.

Coffee needs to rest for a couple of days before it is usable, ideally open to the air so the excess CO2 can offgas.

randytsuch

« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2016, 08:28 pm »
I have heard bad things about vacuum packing and freezing, but I also know other people who say the vacuum pack and freeze beans, with minimal bad effects.

IMHO, using beans that are between 2-14 days old is best, it's not always practical.

Based on my experience, vacuum packing freezing has only a slight negative effect, and its definitely better than stale beans.

I can pull good shots, lots of crema, good flavor, with frozen/thawed beans.

You just need to freeze within 2-3 days of roast, and thaw before unsealing.

And home roasting is fun, but it is a lot of work to do it well, at least that was my experience.

Randy

roscoe65

« Reply #15 on: 3 Mar 2016, 08:41 pm »
I agree that home roasting is a lot of fun (hence the hobby aspect) but for me the results are inferior to beans I can buy locally - I have a local roaster 5 minutes from my house.  My SO also doesn't like the smoke and mess of roasting at home using a stovetop roaster or air popper, and I can't justify another $200 machine to make coffee.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #16 on: 4 Mar 2016, 12:31 am »
ZLS,

Oh, coffee.....love it.

Here in Taiwan, there is a coffee shop with two roasters (one large, one small) that roasts coffee daily. Back in Oregon, I bought from a smaller family-run roaster shop that roasts three times each week. The place in Oregon typically has a dozen or so different beans for sale. Our favorite (my wife and I) was Mexico Chiapas, and certain beans from Costa Rica and from Brazil. I typically buy a week's worth of beans at a time, so I know I'm drinking only the freshest beans.

I seek out flavors that are suitable for espresso drinks. We own a Rancillio Silvia II and a Rancillio Rocky burr grinder. If you get serious about your coffee, invest in a good (read: superior) quality grinder. Our first grinder was a $40 burr grinder. I knew within a week that it was a bad choice.

Enjoy your search!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #17 on: 4 Mar 2016, 12:54 am »
I agree that home roasting is a lot of fun (hence the hobby aspect) but for me the results are inferior to beans I can buy locally - I have a local roaster 5 minutes from my house.  My SO also doesn't like the smoke and mess of roasting at home using a stovetop roaster or air popper, and I can't justify another $200 machine to make coffee.
Many(most?) of us don't have a roaster just down the road.  However, roasting can be done with essentially no smoke with a mid level roaster (Behmor 1600) and the hood over your stove.  Will you have a mess to clean? Yep, but not bad.  As to spending $ on your passion for coffee???? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
        Isn't this an Audiofool site????  How many of us spend more than the cost of a roaster just on interconnects???

Philistine

« Reply #18 on: 4 Mar 2016, 03:01 am »
I've been roasting beans for years, but wouldn't bother if I had a good local roaster.  I started with the FreshRoast but found it roasted too quickly for the style I was looking for (too bright) and switched to a Behmor 6 months ago, this gives me a very consistent bolder roast and I can roast a weeks supply at once.  I use Sweet Maria's green beans but love Joshua Malabar Gold for espresso which I get from the Coffee Project:
http://coffeeproject.com/shop/magento/index.php

I have a customer that buys freshly roasted beans from a monastery in New Mexico, when I visit them I snag samples to bring home - they have excellent roasts:http://www.abbeyroast.com/

randytsuch

« Reply #19 on: 4 Mar 2016, 03:05 pm »
I can buy fresh beans locally, intelligentsia and some others have places around me.

But red bird is cheaper, $53 for 5 lbs of redbird espresso (med roast blend), free shipping.
They usually ship on the day of, or day after roast, and it takes a couple days to get it.

So, as soon as it arrives, I vacuum seal and freeze most of it, and it lasts me a few months.

Randy