Balanced DAC to unbalanced pre-amp? Degraded sound?

AvsFan

So I have a mixture of audio gear, some balanced some unbalanced. My DAC, which is VERY nice, has  only balanced outputs. The pre-amp I am looking at has only RCA unbalanced inputs. So does getting an adapter to take the balanced and turn it into unbalanced defeat the purpose of having a balanced output in the first place? Is it actually degrading the sound or hurting it in anyway due to converting it from one connection to another? Same goes with my amps. My AVR that I am looking at hooking up external amps to has only unbalanced RCA outputs, my external amps have only balanced XLR inputs. What should I do?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Balanced DAC to unbalanced pre-amp? Degraded sound?
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2020, 05:30 am »
I don't have an answer, but this seems like it might be a good question to pose in "The Lab" Circle if no one helps here.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2020, 08:46 am »
Adapters don't cause any more degradation in sound than any other connector does.

jd3

« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2020, 10:17 am »
I’ve used these before from balanced amp/dac outputs to single ended inputs with no degradation.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0321/7609/products/XLR-FM_to_RCA_Ends1x1sm_800x.jpg?v=1538674767

mrhyfy

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2020, 11:15 am »
This item might not cost enough to inspire confidence but I have used it with great results.It "properly" converts balanced to unbalanced with coils.
https://artproaudio.com/product/cleanbox-pro-dual-channel-level-converter/

« Last Edit: 1 May 2020, 12:36 pm by mrhyfy »