Modwright vs Van Alstine

Pjetrof

Modwright vs Van Alstine
« on: 20 Apr 2020, 10:37 pm »
Hello,

Can people offer some experiences from both manufacturers?
Intrested in poweramp for harbeth 30.2

Thx

WGH

Re: Modwright vs Van Alstine
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2020, 12:55 am »
Reading the Stereophile review the Harbeth 30.2 sensitivity was 87.3dB(B)/2.83V/m, which is usefully higher than the specified 85dB. My Salk speakers have a 88dB. With the Harbeth's I would say more power the better, 100w - 225w per channel unless you listen nearfield, small room, apartment, etc. I have heard the AVA Ultravalve Vacuum Tube Amplifier ($1599) many times, great sound when used with efficient speakers but you will eventually be disappointed if used to drive the Harbeth's.

I really like and use the AVA SET 400 ($2199), the amp paired with the Fet Valve CFR Preamplifier is the best I have ever owned. Never heard the Modwright KWA 100 ($3595) which would be the closest price wise.

But which amp sounds best to your ears depends on the mysterious synergy with your pre-amp, DAC, phono setup and cables. AVA has a 30 day trial so you can listen for almost free.

Pjetrof

« Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2020, 07:53 am »
Thx for reply.
I m building complete new set.
Just have the speakers.
Source, Dac cables all need to buy.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2020, 10:07 am »
I've heard Modwright components in a show system that generally ran AVA gear and was struck by, "oh, there's the music".  Too many years ago to remember what models.  Very limited experience for sure, but the impression has stayed with me a decade or so later each time I've heard each company's products. 

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2020, 12:56 pm »
I've heard Modwright components in a show system that generally ran AVA gear and was struck by, "oh, there's the music". 
:scratch:  Are you saying that both companies sounded great?

WGH

« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2020, 02:42 pm »
Too many years ago to remember what models.

Van Alstine electronics have evolved quite nicely and consistently starting with the 2008 Insight series. The Burr Brown OPA627AP linear IC replacement in early 2009 started AVA's move to a more balanced and musical sound. Each subsequent model has refined the sound where the current SET 400 and Fet Valve CFR Preamplifier can (finally) be compared to other well known and far more expensive electronics.

A couple of months ago I brought my amp to a friends and we compared it to a slightly more expensive amp (long standing member with an AC manufacturer's circle) and I preferred the SET 400. The other amp had slightly brighter highs, a more "rock and roll" presentation, the AVA amp had a better ability to see into the music without being flashy. It's always a matter of taste.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2020, 03:44 pm »
  I would suggest you find out the character of the speaker and then the amps considered. Synergy rules, not Manf. My choice Modwright with Harbeth. Application is the Key not a particular Manf.

charles

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2020, 08:03 pm »
:scratch:  Are you saying that both companies sounded great?

Well, yes, but the Modwright was superior in this totally unfair and decidedly unscientific comparison.  Throughout the intervening years I've heard the same sonic signature in several systems.  AVA gear always sounds great, smooth and coherent, well worth the money.  Modwright has that certain "it-ness" that seems to sing with the music, generally much more expensive.  Just my very humble opinion.  I agree completely that AVA has improved dramatically with every new product line.  And that Charles is dead right, sinergy is key.