The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #880 on: 18 May 2020, 02:56 am »
So can I feed the mono signal into one RCA in or do I need a Y adaptor?

You can feed it into one. If for some reason, you can't get enough gain on the sealed sub with one input, You can use a Y adapter into two of the subs inputs and get an additional 6dB of gain.

Mike

mikeeastman

« Reply #881 on: 18 May 2020, 03:05 am »
Thanks, mlundy57

AKLegal

« Reply #882 on: 18 May 2020, 11:18 am »
OK, here's my quick assessment -- 

I lifted the rear of my speakers about one-half inch and used Barbra Streisand's, "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" as my test track. Immediately, the imaging was improved, and when Neil Diamond cuts in, his voice is much deeper. No question about it. I said to myself, "that's gotta be all in my head." So I went back and forth. The difference was clear. Then I put on a few tracks that I'm more familiar with and can't say definitively it made a difference, but I didn't go back and forth with those songs.  I heard enough to keep the rear of the speakers slightly elevated.

Cool.  I didnt realize your speakers were that tall either.  I think their lack of an upper woofer threw me off a bit.

Captainhemo

« Reply #883 on: 23 May 2020, 07:19 pm »
Thanks, mlundy57

Also IIRC,   only  one of the   inputs  has the auto on circuitry.  This may have changed as the amps have evolved.

jay

mikeeastman

« Reply #884 on: 23 May 2020, 07:36 pm »
As my amps are on 24/7 it shouldn't matter.

Zitoun

« Reply #885 on: 6 Jun 2020, 06:12 am »
Hey Guys,

Still WIP, the newborn starts looking like a S7.

Looking at the NX MTM dimensions for the top section, if one of you can help with that I will greatly appreciate.

bernardo

« Reply #886 on: 23 Jul 2020, 08:00 pm »
Super 7 owners who have rebuilt their passive crossovers -  I am working on building new crossovers for my speakers. Mine are all original parts. Wanted to ask what type and gauge wire you used for your build on both midrange and treble circuits.

Thanks
Ben

Captainhemo

« Reply #887 on: 23 Jul 2020, 08:36 pm »
I used  Neotech UPOCC solid core 16 awg   in teflon.  Used it right from  tube connectors  all the way through and  up to drivers.

I know  a couple others  who  done similar  with the   Neotech Silver/Gold blend.   I have not had the chance to compare them  though

jay

emailtim

« Reply #888 on: 15 May 2021, 07:39 pm »
Give me a couple of months and I might be able to get you the same wax film on a four 9's pure Copper foil made in the USA. All in the works right now.

Hi Danny,

Did these USA 4-9 copper wax foil inductor coils ever materialize ? 

Thanks much.

Danny Richie

« Reply #889 on: 19 May 2021, 01:46 am »
They did.

A pretty good production run of them were made. Here are the values left of that production run.

4.56, 4.63, 5.62, 5.72, 5.86, 5.95, 6.33, 6.49, 6.51, 6.6, 7.76, 7.94, 10.81, 10.82, 10.84, 13.98, 16.08, 16.15, 16.21, 19.55, 21.35

And they are now priced at close out prices.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #890 on: 13 Jun 2022, 03:47 pm »

Finally got around to installing the Jantzen copper wax foil inductors.  I got the 12awg version for the main signal path choke on the midrange circuit.  I also took this opportunity to redo the board which the crossovers would be mounted to.  I previously used an 1/8” melamine board which was a little too thin and occasionally vibrated with the music.  Putting some vibration absorbing pads under the board helped some but still wasn’t ideal.

I wanted to make something sturdier and with vibration control built in.  I found some 12”x12”x3/16” cork tiles on Amazon for around $10.  I also picked up a 2’x2’x1/4” plywood panel at Home Depot for $8.  I cut the plywood into two 12”x12” squares and basically made a sandwich with a cork tile on top and underneath the plywood piece.  To keep it from sliding around I also put a few pieces of strong double sided tape under the crossover. 

I also took this time to properly mount my tube connectors rather than having them float freely.  I just used some 1”x1” wood for that. 

The verdict is that the copper wax coil is a big winner in my book!  The first thing I noticed was percussion was more precise and tactile.  Wood instruments resonated more.  Bass in general was greatly improved.  The overall presentation was a bit warmer but without reducing detail.

I’m so glad I jumped on these kits when I had the chance!
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2022, 09:21 pm by corndog71 »

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #891 on: 13 Jun 2022, 07:59 pm »
I think we still have 1-2 kits available actually, reach out to Captainhemo if interested.

Don

mkrawcz

« Reply #892 on: 13 Jun 2022, 09:27 pm »
I’m so glad I jumped on these kits when I had the chance!
I'm jealous!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #893 on: 14 Jun 2022, 01:52 am »
If anyone is interested in a good deal on Jupiter copper foil caps for the Super 7's, mine are on sale for half retail here - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=182212.msg1913759#msg1913759

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #894 on: 12 Jul 2022, 11:05 pm »
Well, I'm back, not that it matters.  :?

In the last couple years, I've calmed my audiofoolia nersova and have been most of the time just listening, altho I've bought a pair of PS Audio M1200 poweramps.. Those drove the Quad 2905s, and I've been very happy with the results.

BUT...all good things apparently must come to an end, and last WE one of the Quads starting popping, getting louder and louder, so I removed them and reinstalled the Super-7s*.. I used, initially, the M1200s, and the system sounded plenty good--the S7s hadn't been used for maybe 1-1/2 years--but those all-triode, output-transformerless Atma-Sphere M-160s called to me and I soon had those running with only 3 pairs (of the original 7 pairs) in each amp.

The system has maybe 20 hours on it thru last night, and it sounds VERY good, maybe better than the Quad system at its best.. But since bass quality is easier for me to discern, probably my observations are 'slanted' by the S7s' much-superior bass definition and extention.

In spite of my many notes here about rebuilding the crossovers for the third time, I've yet to do that, with them still playing music thru the mostly Sonicap-Platinum caps.. I still have the big MYFLEX KPCU caps, a pair of small inductors, and the custom-made-by-SonicCraft wiring loom.. The latter is made with Neotec UPOCC-silver and Mundorf silver-gold conductors so certainly will be an improvement over my cobbled-together stuff.. This time Sonic Craft will be building the crossovers on the granite tiles...

I'm really impressed with the overall-high-quality of the music, especially with all the 'new' pieces not yet broken in.   :D

* With my younger, stronger, fellow-audiofool goodbuddy in the hospital, it was a lot of work wrestling all of this around, but this 78-year-old chubby guy managed.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2022, 11:22 pm by jeffreybehr »

bernardo

« Reply #895 on: 13 Jul 2022, 04:40 pm »
Jeffrey-

Good to hear from this thread's originator.

I am working on improving the bass in my system and room. Did you make any further changes to improve your bass since you posted in 2016?

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #896 on: 13 Jul 2022, 07:29 pm »
Jeffrey-

Good to hear from this thread's originator.

I am working on improving the bass in my system and room. Did you make any further changes to improve your bass since you posted in 2016?

TYVM.

No, no changes to the bass end of the S7s.. I installed longer wiring to the bass drivers years ago but used inexpensive 16g.-times-4 stranded wire.. If I have ANY ambition left after installing the new x-overs and new wiring, maybe I'll do that.  And now that I think about it, the 5-1/2"-thick acoustic panels behind the speakers (where the SuperSubs are in the original-post pics) are somewhat new.. When swung away from the walls about 6", they absorb some bass and lots of MR and treble back wave.. Oops--you didn't ask about S7 bass, you asked about bass...I've added two huge bass traps, one at the upper left-hand wall and one at the upper-rear wall.

bernardo

« Reply #897 on: 13 Jul 2022, 07:54 pm »
Did you find installing the large bass traps in the upper left-hand wall and upper rear wall to be worth the cost and effort?

Asking as I am strongly considering large bass traps.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #898 on: 13 Jul 2022, 08:00 pm »
Since the woofers play so high up in the signal (well over 100hz), a good upgrade is to:

• use silver interconnects from your preamp to the sub amps
  • Use heavy gauge silver speaker wire from the sub amp to the bass section of the speakers
  • open up the sub amp and re-wire it with silver wire

It won't add any brightness to the mids/highs, but it will clean up the bass quite a bit. 

bernardo

« Reply #899 on: 13 Jul 2022, 08:16 pm »
I have already optimized everything I can think of to do to the servo-amps including wiring, isolation, and control adjustments. I am convinced the highest likely hood of bass improvement lies with either passive or active bass traps or EQ unit instead of the PEQ controls, which I find only slightly effective.

And as long as we are discussing improvements for the Super-7s the number one improvement I have made for the speakers is hands down installing Townshend Seismic Bars under the speakers. Better improvement than all the upgraded crossover components, rewiring the servo-amps, etc. that I have done.