Apexll

Jon Anderson

Apexll
« on: 22 Aug 2007, 06:40 am »
      Hello all!  I just got done with my apex ll's and thought I would share the pics and my thoughts on them.  How bout a shout out to Al for not only being a great guy, but for the incredible service he has provided over the course of the intire project!  ALthough a pretty complicated speaker to build, if you take your time and make sure everything fits right, they go together pretty well.  I had a few problems with the kit not having a few items, but after a phone call to Al, I recieved the items I needed in a timely fashion. Parts are first rate, even in the premium kit, and instructions were well thought out and thourough. One thing that would have been nice would have been to have some gasket material to do the final driver install, but a trip to the hardware store remidied that fairly quickly. I have been building speakers for some time now, and i think these came out pretty darn good, I wanted to do something different, so I opted for a painted finish that I had my cabinet painter take care of. I told him I wanted to do a kind of translucent look, and he more than did a great job I think?  I had a few problems at start up, as i made a couple of bonehead crossover wiring mistakes, and thought I burned up one of my speakers as smoke stated to billow out of the left speaker,,"NEVER GOOD"!  But soon realized a resister connection problem, and ordered a couple of new drivers, and some new mills resisters.  I got everything back together, and Holy S$%T!!  They sounded better than I could have ever imagined.  Midrange focus, and detail was almost electrostatic like thanks to the ribbon tweeter. The speakers project true scale and dynamics in all frequencies, and the bass is clean deep, and incredibly articulate! I could not stop listening to them, as I was hearing things from my music I had never heard before.  I just wanted to say thanks Al,  and raw for allowing me to get closer to where I want to be in this hobby, and for a price that afforded me the oppertunity to buy a speaker I otherwise could not have afforded.  Regards,,Jon

RAW

Re: Apexll
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2007, 05:33 pm »
Well Jon things happen in the DIY.
But glad you got it all sorted out as far as the miss wiring on the crossovers :wink:

Now you are after a pair of Platinum Apex II I sent a email to you for this kit.

Look forward to seeing the completed pairs when you are finished them along with comments between the 2 different crossover parts used in the Platinum and Premium kits.

Talk soon