Tonehenge Recording

HAL

Tonehenge Recording
« on: 11 Jun 2016, 05:35 pm »
Will be recording a solo grand piano recital today with the HAL recording rig.

Using an MS-3 with an Echo Audio Echo2 ADA and Adobe Audition 1.5 as one of the recording systems.

Mic will be an OSS disk with two Earthworks M550 Omni's and Earthworks 1022 mic preamp with Phantom power into the Echo2 line in.  All balanced connections.

The repertoire has been kept secret, so only get a sound check and then press the GO button.  No stress at all!  :o

HAL

Re: Tonehenge Recording
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2016, 11:25 am »
Well the live recording of a Steinway and Sons Grand Piano with an excellent pianist Baron Fenwick is complete.  Avoosl accompanied me as the second recording system engineer and we did the two system setup.

Two different HiRez recording rigs with three stereo mic systems were recorded for the evening.

The pieces were truly workouts for the pianist and he played them exceedingly well with tremendous feeling. 

My understanding is that a CD will be produced from the live event for the artist.  Waiting to see what happens for release.

Fun time indeed!  :D

HAL

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2016, 09:35 pm »
Had some fun today experimenting with a Blumlein pair stereo mic.   Used two NADY RSM-4 6 micron ribbon mics at 90 degrees to each other. 

Crazy artifacts from the mpeg encoder used to take the 16bit/48KKHz downsampled version to video.

The original 24bit/192KHz recording was done with Adobe Audition running on the HAL MS-3 Music Server.  Being an all solid state machine makes it easy to have where the recording is occurring as in this case.  Just voice, mics and Echo Audio Echo2 ADA into the MS-3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD_4bMKOa-g

*Scotty*

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2016, 10:13 pm »
Was an analogue mixing console used or were you able to do everything in the digital domain? Also was any compression or limiting used in the recording process.
 When you mentioned this project I was hoping to see a 24/96 or 24/192 download for sale. This would be a true Hi-Resolution recording and those thing are kind of scarce.
Scotty

HAL

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2016, 10:21 pm »
Scotty,
I will ask the studio I did the grand piano recording for and see.  He would need to ask the artist and see what his wishes are.  All that has been discussed is the CD.

The OSS Jeklin Disc recording was done directly with balanced connections from the matched pair of Earthworks M550 mics to Earthworks 1022 mic preamp into the Echo Audio Echo 2 ADA without any limiting.  Everything was in the digital domain except the very front end and recorded at 24bit/192KHz.

I will ask permission to demo the tracks at CAF2016 in the GT Audioworks room directly back from the MS-3 that did the recording.  I will use the dspMusik as the DAC for 24bit/192KHz replay. 

Still doing the editing, so will see how it all goes.  So far very good.

*Scotty*

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2016, 11:32 pm »
Thanks, it sounds like there is a lot of potential there. Any idea what your ambient noise level was at the recording location. I was wondering what the quietest passage was on the VU meters, how far below 0dBF.
Scotty

HAL

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2016, 11:37 pm »
The noise floor of the room was around -51dB.  Max peak was around -5dB.  This was with the stereo mic array in the room, not in the piano like the version for the CD. 

HAL

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2016, 11:48 pm »
Pictures of the mic setups.  The main X-Y pair in the piano, a second at the recording position and the OSS Jeklin disc on the organ console.  Sometime you have to get creative!  :o

*Scotty*

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2016, 11:56 pm »
So the recording to be released will only have the sound from the mics inside the piano?
Scotty

HAL

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2016, 03:46 am »
With possibly some of the X-Y room mics added for room reverb.  All depends on what the mastering engineer decides.

Just listened to some of the pieces from the OSS stereo recording on Avoosl's VMPS RM50's.  The piano tone is huge in the lower registers.  The Earthworks mics are Omni's and have response from 2Hz to 50KHz. 

An interesting side.  Once the first two tracks were recorded with the OSS setup, it was stopped at intermission.  I set the sample rate to 192KHz to restart the tracks for the second set, but it decided to record 24bit/44.1KHz instead after looking at each track I cut, so HiRez, but at two different sample rates.  No levels were changed, but the HF extension of the room sound and piano sound are more truncated with the 44.1KHz rate than the 192KHz rate.  Very interesting observation.

The one stand out track is the Beethoven Piano Sonata OP111.  This is a great performance of the piece, even at 24bit/44.1KHz.

The other recorder ran 24bit/96KHz the entire time with the two X-Y stereo pairs.  Will be interesting to hear that in comparison to the OSS disc recoding.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2016, 03:55 am »
Those concert grands have such huge, weighty reverberant sounds that just go on and on.  There aren't many speakers that can get it right.  I''d like to hear it through your new design.

HAL

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2016, 04:04 am »
Scott,
Exactly my plan when the Megaliths crossover design is completed. 

What I heard at Avoosl's tonight was amazing and very different to most stereo recordings, since the OSS disk is almost binaural in nature, but with very extended LF response due to the Omni's.  I would love to hear this stereo mic array record an orchestra with a pipe organ concert!  :o

HAL

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2016, 08:03 pm »
Delivered the master recording files to KMH Studio today for Keith to master them to CD.

I suggested that a SD/MicroSDHC card be done at the same time with the master 24bit/96KHz files just cut to tracks from his recording setup. He will discuss this with the artist for interest. This could fit inside a standard CD case for packaging.  Also let him know that if CD's are done before 7 July, I would be able to bring some to CAF2016 for sale for the artist.

Now the wait begins to see what happens.  My job is complete.

*Scotty*

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2016, 09:39 pm »
I would buy a CD with the HI-Rez copy included.
Scotty

HAL

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jun 2016, 10:05 pm »
I made sure Keith knew that you and others might be interested.

Have no idea what will happen.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2018, 09:52 pm »
Did this recording make it to market?  If so, please post a link. Thanks

HAL

« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2018, 10:07 pm »
When I enquired, the mastered recording was given to the performer and he never released it. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #17 on: 1 Dec 2018, 01:04 am »
When I enquired, the mastered recording was given to the performer and he never released it.
Yeah, but I know a guy that knows a guy that might be able to find a bootleg copy...wink, wink. Whaddaya say there Rich??