Omega with PrimaLuna?

lousyreeds1

Omega with PrimaLuna?
« on: 28 Jun 2018, 08:45 pm »
Anyone have experience with this combo?  I love my Decware Super Zen Triode but am always looking for interesting alternatives, particularly at higher power ratings, and Upscale Audio has some of the older models on sale. 

Thoughts welcome from anyone who has heard these together.  Thanks!

RDavidson

Re: Omega with PrimaLuna?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2018, 12:34 am »
If you're not just looking at tube amps (with more power), I'd suggest First Watt or Pass Labs. I've had MANY through my house over the last 5 years or so. My favorites with Omegas have been the F3, J2, and XA25. What Omegas do you have?

lousyreeds1

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2018, 04:43 am »
I’d love to try First Watt at some point, but Primaluna is available at great prices right now and I’m just wondering if anyone has heard them with Omegas. I have the Super 6 XRS Alnico. 

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2018, 02:37 am »
Right on. I wasn't sure if you were shopping for more watts first and happened across the Primaluna deals second or vice versa, so I made another suggestion for the former. :D You might consider Cayin too. A once had an A50t many years ago that I thought was a nice sounding amp. I have fond memories of it. It's essentially the same as Primaluna Prologue 1 or Prologue Classic (made by the same manufacturer), but without the autobias and other bells and whistles....that aren't all that necessary.

rar1

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2018, 02:49 am »
It is a good pairing.  Omegas are quality tube amplifiers, are exceptionally well made, have been very well reviewed for the past 13 years, and have legions of satisfied users. 

The Upscale prices are very good for these amps.

Over the last 12 years, I have paired the PL2 with Omega Super 3i and the PL5 with the Omega Super 7 MKII.  They sound exceptional.

How big a room will you be using the system in?

Rich

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2018, 11:11 am »
I sold my Primaluna Prologue Four after maybe a month. It offered very little in the way of "tube" sound with my Meadowlark Kestrels or Teckton M-Lores. To my ear, it had the sound of a so-so solid state amp. Remember though, the Prologue Four is at the bottom of the Primaluna line. Never used it with Omega speakers.

On the plus side, it was easy to resell.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2018, 11:23 am »
Briefly owned a Prima Luna Dialogue Premium (Stereophile class A rated at the time, but wonder if they ever heard it).  Rolled several output tubes: EL34 were warm (don't like everything colored), a few KT's - no better than my old class D, favorite was 6550 but not much better than the class D and not worth the tube hassle.  Some said the auto bias and protection features robbed the amp of the 'glory' of earlier amps.  Auditioned with large high-end single driver speakers.

lousyreeds1

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2018, 12:54 pm »
Thanks, guys.  First Watt has been on my radar for a long time; maybe I'll wait for a J2, etc to pop up used.

mrvco

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2018, 02:41 am »
I was on the cusp of buying a PrimaLuna integrated, but there weren't any local dealers and it's a big and heavy amp, so I couldn't pull the trigger.  I ended up with a First Watt J2 based on recommendations from this forum.  I couldn't be happier.  Check with Mark at Reno Hifi, he sells new and used First Watt gear.  He's a great guy to work with and he stands behind what he sells.

peckjed

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2018, 02:05 pm »
I very recently owned a PrimaLuna Dialogue 4 (that I bought from upscale), paired with my Red Wine Audio Isabella and Ginevra. It was a good sounding combination. I tried a few different EL34's, 6l6G's, KT120 and KT88's. KT120s were my favorite. The triode mode dulled everything WAY too much, not very triode sounding and the UL side sounded sterile - clear, but not very musical, if that makes any sense.

That being said... I sold it after I tried Dennis Had's 20(ish) watt SEP power amp. The Dennis Had poweramp blew the PrimaLuna away in every category except power - even with the same tubes I had in my PrimaLuna. In terms of Omega speakers I have SAM HO monitors and a dual 8" up and downward facing sub. Honestly, I think I am at a point stereo wise where I don't desire anything else.

Skip the PrimaLuna and take a look at Dennis Had!

roscoe65

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2018, 03:05 pm »
I very recently owned a PrimaLuna Dialogue 4 (that I bought from upscale), paired with my Red Wine Audio Isabella and Ginevra. It was a good sounding combination. I tried a few different EL34's, 6l6G's, KT120 and KT88's. KT120s were my favorite. The triode mode dulled everything WAY too much, not very triode sounding and the UL side sounded sterile - clear, but not very musical, if that makes any sense.

That being said... I sold it after I tried Dennis Had's 20(ish) watt SEP power amp. The Dennis Had poweramp blew the PrimaLuna away in every category except power - even with the same tubes I had in my PrimaLuna. In terms of Omega speakers I have SAM HO monitors and a dual 8" up and downward facing sub. Honestly, I think I am at a point stereo wise where I don't desire anything else.

Skip the PrimaLuna and take a look at Dennis Had!

I have no experience with Primaluna, but the Dennis had preamp/amp combo (think of it as an integrated) can be had that will give your 2.5 to 25wpc.  The combo price on this amp/preamp would be about $3,000-$4,500, depending on options.

peckjed

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2018, 03:41 pm »
I have no experience with Primaluna, but the Dennis had preamp/amp combo (think of it as an integrated) can be had that will give your 2.5 to 25wpc.  The combo price on this amp/preamp would be about $3,000-$4,500, depending on options.

I completely forgot to factor price in my previous posts suggestion. The PrimaLuna from Upscale is much less expensive, but the quality from Dennis is well worth it. You're correct, Roscoe, in your price range for the power/pre combo, you might be able to save a bit of money if you reach out to him directly and not go through eBay.

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2018, 04:16 pm »

roscoe65

« Reply #13 on: 9 Jul 2018, 08:08 pm »
I completely forgot to factor price in my previous posts suggestion. The PrimaLuna from Upscale is much less expensive, but the quality from Dennis is well worth it. You're correct, Roscoe, in your price range for the power/pre combo, you might be able to save a bit of money if you reach out to him directly and not go through eBay.

I've gotten "friend prices" from Dennis before.  I don't like to nickel and dime a legend over his work though.  He generally gives combo or frequent flyer discounts.

Generally speaking, his preamp will run about $1,500, as will his current "Universal" triode-connected amp (probably a SEP as well).  The larger PSE runs about $2,500 or so.  But you'll find a level of parts quality in these that far exceeds any retail product at its price point.