Dac 10H, beginner questions

eljr

Dac 10H, beginner questions
« on: 27 Jan 2022, 07:01 pm »
Two quick questions.

1) Why does my Dac 10H only show 44.1 no mater what I put into it?

2) What is the headphone icon for?

rustydoglim

Re: Dac 10H, beginner questions
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2022, 05:59 am »
https://nuprimeaudio.com/ufaqs/how-does-nuprime-determine-the-displayed-sampling-rate/
DAC-10/10H display of sampling rate is obtained from the source and if most sources don't have that info, it won't be able to display. But decoding is fine (otherwise you will hear noise if it can't decode).

The headphone icon is for cycling through the gain control, see the setting on the product page:
https://nuprimeaudio.com/product/dac-10/

eljr

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2022, 10:04 pm »
What does that mean?

What is cycling through the gain control?

What does it do? When is it used?

jonbee

« Reply #3 on: 3 Feb 2022, 05:20 am »
What does that mean?

What is cycling through the gain control?

What does it do? When is it used?
It allows you to match the gain of the hp amp to the users phones.
It doesn't affect the non-hp operation.

eljr

« Reply #4 on: 3 Feb 2022, 02:33 pm »
It allows you to match the gain of the hp amp to the users phones.
It doesn't affect the non-hp operation.

Thanks

Now how does one know if it is better to set it on H or L?

It is not at all clear how it should be set to me. What headphones would use H, which L? How would I find this out?

Also, I was told this amp could power any headphones when I bought it yet when I went to but the Stax SR-007 MK2 I was told the amp could not drive them. What's the story? Did Nuprime mislead me?

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2022, 09:04 am »
Thanks

Now how does one know if it is better to set it on H or L?

It is not at all clear how it should be set to me. What headphones would use H, which L? How would I find this out?

Also, I was told this amp could power any headphones when I bought it yet when I went to but the Stax SR-007 MK2 I was told the amp could not drive them. What's the story? Did Nuprime mislead me?

Read the description of Stax closely.  It is a speaker disguised as a headphone :).  This type of headphone has to be powered by audio amplifier, not headphone amp.  For gain setting, start with the lowest and go up from there until you find the setting that sounded the best for you. If you can't tell the difference, then just stay with L. 

eljr

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2022, 02:59 pm »
Read the description of Stax closely.  It is a speaker disguised as a headphone :).  This type of headphone has to be powered by audio amplifier, not headphone amp.  For gain setting, start with the lowest and go up from there until you find the setting that sounded the best for you. If you can't tell the difference, then just stay with L.

Thank you again, this is very helpful.

The gain only has L or H. You suggest it has more setting, am I simply unaware of how to use the feature.

----------------------

So I need a headphone amp designed for STAX headphones. I wish I knew this before I got the 10H.

rustydoglim

« Reply #7 on: 10 Feb 2022, 05:30 pm »
Thank you again, this is very helpful.

The gain only has L or H. You suggest it has more setting, am I simply unaware of how to use the feature.

----------------------

So I need a headphone amp designed for STAX headphones. I wish I knew this before I got the 10H.

I don't think there is any headphone amp designed for STAX, it needs an amplifier.  But give it a try anyway, the DAC-10H at high gain and high volume might be able to drive the STAX.

John Ransley

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 10 Feb 2022, 11:32 pm »
Hi eljr,

I can help you out with this because I have both the Stax 700Mk2s and NuPrime here. The Stax are almost unique in that they need a 580 volt power supply to work. So they have various models of 'Driver' that you'll match with the Ear Speakers. Most are strictly analogue devices and don't have an in-built DAC like the NuPrime DAC 10 does. So  to get the very best sound you combine the NuPrime AND a Stax Driver. The results you'll get from doing this are far better than any conventional system you could build for the same cost. You are on the right track.

John from Totally Wired.