New (and interesting) review for the ST-10.

Genez

New (and interesting) review for the ST-10.
« on: 14 Jul 2018, 10:50 pm »
Just stumbled upon the other night.  I do not think this was already posted here.   Forgive if it has been.

A nicely informative review about the NuPrime ST-10....  http://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/analog-reviews/amplifier-reviews/nuprime-st-10-power-amp/

Spenav

Re: New (and interesting) review for the ST-10.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2018, 12:48 am »
Thanks. Someone did mention it some time ago. It's not really new. Good find though. This is the kind of comparative review I would like to read about the Evo One. I agree with his conclusions and think they are right on the money. I only wish he had reviewed an upgraded ST-10, things would have really gotten interesting. I really feel that the upgrade addressed the majority of the limitations he mentions. At least that's my opinion and in my system.  Thanks again for bringing it up.

Genez

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2018, 01:07 am »
Yes... the TDSS upgrade surely addresses some of his nit picks easily... 

JackD

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2018, 02:48 am »
I too completely agree with most of his assessment of the ST-10 but rather than submit the ST-10 to aftermarket upgrades for a comparison to me it would make more sense to compare the Kaluga's in particular to the ST-10 mono's which have been upgraded and refined already.  Even with the mono's you would still be looking at the Kaluga's being over 5 times the cost as in 2016 they were priced at $16,500 and certainly more today.

Spenav

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2018, 03:59 am »
Yep!  That would be an interesting head to head show down., mono a mono  :D

rustydoglim

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2018, 02:13 pm »
The practice of modifying audio equipment comes from the old days where designs were much simpler, or modular. So replacing a power supply, op amps or capacitors can make good improvement. In some extreme, replacing a tube changes the sound completely. But with new generations of products, the integration and designs are much more complex.
So when we introduce a new design, it will be fundamentally different or better depending on the product pricing and position.