New DHT Line Stage

Vinnie R.

Re: New DHT Line Stage
« Reply #340 on: 8 Jan 2019, 12:06 am »
Hi TimS,

Good question, but the VR MINI did not have enough continuous output current (especially not enough for a pair of 2A3 or SV811s).

Another thing that I have learned is that a floating supply for the filaments (like a battery, or isolated ultracap bank)
is not the best thing in terms of hum pick up.  Sure, the power itself is very clean, but it's a LOT more complicated with that
in terms of picking up 50/60Hz noise fields with the sensitive direct heated triode tubes themselves. 

With the L2 Preamplifier circuit, the way that I am referencing certain parts of the circuit to AC Ground and with the mesh tube covers in place (they also get tied to AC ground), there is no hum with any of the DHT tubes that I have tried!  It makes a big difference!  Certain tubes that I gave up on in the LIO DHT PRE (e.g. Psvane WE205-D Western Electric Replica) due to excessive hum are quiet in the L2 Preamp.  And the one switch filament selection on the back panel makes rolling tubes of different DHT families much easier.

Anything to squeeze the last ounce of goodness out of the already superb LIO DHT!

I'm investigating and highly considering things for LIO in 2019 - but I just can't go into any of it yet.  Sorry.  :shh:

In the meantime, keep those DHT tube sockets clean and tight - and enjoy it!  :singing:

Vinnie

TimS

« Reply #341 on: 8 Jan 2019, 02:45 am »
Thanks Vinnie, look forward to any LIO upgrades this year.
Due to equipment changes I will soon have a spare output on my PH SR7 that I may try for the LIO DHT supply (@ 7.5v).  I'll update this thread when I've tried it.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #342 on: 13 Jan 2019, 07:05 pm »
Thanks Vinnie, look forward to any LIO upgrades this year.
Due to equipment changes I will soon have a spare output on my PH SR7 that I may try for the LIO DHT supply (@ 7.5v).  I'll update this thread when I've tried it.

Hi TimS,

I do not recommend using an external supply for the DHT Filaments other than the LIO DHT Power Supply (which has an in-rush current limiter circuit to protect the Belleson super regulators used for the filaments.  The reason for this is that at time = 0 when you turn on the LIO, the tubes draw much higher current (in-rush current) than their normal steady-state current draw. 

Best regards,

Vinnie

TimS

« Reply #343 on: 13 Jan 2019, 07:15 pm »
Ah, OK.  Thanks for that information Vinnie.  Don't want to damage the super regs!

dspringham

« Reply #344 on: 13 Mar 2019, 05:19 pm »
Vinnie,

Noticed that your new L2 preamp version has switching that allows the tube to be bypassed in the DHT stage with the signal being fed directly to the FET driver. I assume that this still leaves the volume control in the circuit. Is there a reasonable way to have this mod/feature applied to the LIO DHT stage?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #345 on: 13 Mar 2019, 05:38 pm »
Vinnie,

Noticed that your new L2 preamp version has switching that allows the tube to be bypassed in the DHT stage with the signal being fed directly to the FET driver. I assume that this still leaves the volume control in the circuit. Is there a reasonable way to have this mod/feature applied to the LIO DHT stage?

Hi dspringham,

The L2's DHT linestage design is quite different than LIO DHT PRE, and there is no easy way to implement it into LIO.

There is something *very significant* that I have been working on that will be an option for LIO customers (not an inexpensive one, but it will be far more substantial than previous upgrades).  I cannot post about it here at this time, but I will as soon as I can.  8)

Vinnie

SteveKi

« Reply #346 on: 13 Mar 2019, 11:15 pm »
There is something *very significant* that I have been working on that will be an option for LIO customers (not an inexpensive one, but it will be far more substantial than previous upgrades).  I cannot post about it here at this time, but I will as soon as I can.  8)
Vinnie

Vinnie,
Are you working on a module update or an upgrade to the LIO itself?
Steve

Vinnie R.

« Reply #347 on: 14 Mar 2019, 12:31 am »
Vinnie,
Are you working on a module update or an upgrade to the LIO itself?
Steve

Hi Steve,

Something even better!  :)

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2019, 01:47 am by Vinnie R. »

Srajan Ebaen

• Industry Participant
L2 tube rolling experience sharing request for 6moons review
« Reply #348 on: 17 Mar 2019, 05:03 pm »
Hiya.

Working up my review on Vinnie's L2 DHT linestage, I would like to invite those who already have theirs to share their experiences relative to tube brand and tube type rolling. I'm only listening to the stock ElectroHarmonix GOld 300B and Vinnie's personal pair of Takatsuki 300B. I'd like to provide our readers with additional data points since that's part of the appeal of this component.

So... if you'd like to become part of my review by contributing some sonic observations on what your various tubes do by comparison (also list the rest of your system), have at it. I'll check here or you can email me directly at 6moons. Your comments will list by either your handle or your real name, whatever you decide to provide.

Cheers. :popcorn:

TimS

« Reply #349 on: 19 Aug 2019, 06:19 pm »
Hi TimS,

Good question, but the VR MINI did not have enough continuous output current (especially not enough for a pair of 2A3 or SV811s).

Another thing that I have learned is that a floating supply for the filaments (like a battery, or isolated ultracap bank)
is not the best thing in terms of hum pick up.  Sure, the power itself is very clean, but it's a LOT more complicated with that
in terms of picking up 50/60Hz noise fields with the sensitive direct heated triode tubes themselves. 

With the L2 Preamplifier circuit, the way that I am referencing certain parts of the circuit to AC Ground and with the mesh tube covers in place (they also get tied to AC ground), there is no hum with any of the DHT tubes that I have tried!  It makes a big difference!  Certain tubes that I gave up on in the LIO DHT PRE (e.g. Psvane WE205-D Western Electric Replica) due to excessive hum are quiet in the L2 Preamp.  And the one switch filament selection on the back panel makes rolling tubes of different DHT families much easier.

I'm investigating and highly considering things for LIO in 2019 - but I just can't go into any of it yet.  Sorry.  :shh:

In the meantime, keep those DHT tube sockets clean and tight - and enjoy it!  :singing:

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie

I know you have stopped production of the LIO but I think you were looking into some upgrades for it earlier this year (above).  Is this still a possibility in the future?

Thanks.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #350 on: 20 Aug 2019, 05:03 am »
Hi Vinnie

I know you have stopped production of the LIO but I think you were looking into some upgrades for it earlier this year (above).  Is this still a possibility in the future?

Thanks.

Hi TimS,

Thank you for your post. 

1) The short answer is:

I highly doubt I will have any time to look into it this year, as I have too many projects in the works, and need to get into production of L2i and L2i-SE next month (right after the RMAF show).

2) The longer answer is:

Any 'significant' upgrade (and it certainly should be significant enough to make it worth pursuing in the first place) to LIO is likely going to involve a considerable amount of development time and cost.  We're talking changes to the chassis, power supply, and even motherboard.

We already have upgrades for:

- DAC 1.0 to DAC 2.0
- RVC/Tubestage to AVC/Tubestage
- AVC/Tubestage to DHT PRE
- LIO Phonostage to L2 Phonostage

(And the ability to add-on modules that one does not currently have installed)

I believe that one would most likely find that trading-in their LIO to the upcoming L2i or L2i-SE Integrated Amplifier, by the end of this year, will not only make more sense financially - but will give you a much higher performing integrated amplifier (in a much higher quality enclosure).  This would, by far, give you the biggest upgrade compared to anything I can ever imagine doing to LIO.   And those who already have LIO DAC 2.0 can have it swapped into the L2i or L2i-SE. 

If this upgrade is not in the cards, then it makes the most sense to simply enjoy your LIO, and if you ever find you need more output power, then use your LIO as  a preamplifier/dac/phonostage and add a higher power amplifier or monoblocks to it (or upgrade to higher sensitivity speakers if you rather keep it as an all-in-one unit). 

And please know that I will continue to support all my LIO customers directly, no matter if you upgrade to L2 or not. 

I hope this response is helpful,

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2019, 03:54 pm by Vinnie R. »