New DHT Line Stage

Vinnie R.

Re: New DHT Line Stage
« Reply #320 on: 8 Sep 2016, 02:49 am »
Quote from: hubi
Now, I can not believe what kind of music comes out the Lio. I use the LIO with dac, DHT PRE and active speakers. In addition I regularly use the LIO headphone amplifier and my desription applies to both setups.

Hi hubi,

Thanks for your post!

The whole DHT PRE circuit, NUDE RVC, as well as the new tubes all need time to open up and sound their best (like any other component).  The best way to do it is by just playing music through them and enjoying it.  8)

There is also a lot of flexibility in tuning the sound with different DHTs.  I will be writing more on that soon enough, as will those
who have tried a few different tube in the Tube Tour.

I havent’t been in the hifi hobby for almost 20 years , comeback with LIO is joy beyond compare :guitar: :drums: :violin:

Thank you! 

Hi Kishore,

Good luck with the installation, and don't forgot to go slowly and carefully read the manual.  :rules:   :wink:

Keep us posted, and feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Vinnie

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #321 on: 8 Sep 2016, 03:01 am »
I'm so looking forward to the future developments of the LIO and other offerings like the stand alone Ultracapacitor supply mentioned here.

magnuska

« Reply #322 on: 8 Sep 2016, 11:34 am »
So I have my DHT Pre quite a while ... .
My first impressions were mixed. -Although Vinnie's description of the sound was quite accurate, in comparison to the AVC-tube module everything was a bit too laid back. S. Ebaen‘s description in the first part of his DHT PRE review shows it well and coincides with my experience.
But after 2 weeks regular use the sound changed clearly, I haven't changed my setup. Suddenly speed and punch was back in my setup.

Now, I can not believe what kind of music comes out the Lio. I use the LIO with dac, DHT PRE and active speakers. In addition I regularly use the LIO headphone amplifier and my desription applies to both setups.

I am now looking forward to the experience from the tube tour and maybe I will experiment with other tubes (unfortunately I can’t participate the tour). But it's hard to imagine that  music enjoyment can be increased considerably in a Hifi setup (with similar expenses).

The second thing I will mention, is the expandable concept of LIO – exceptional! Sure some upgrades will not come cheap but you have the choice!!!

Closing remarks: I havent’t been in the hifi hobby for almost 20 years , comeback with LIO is joy beyond compare :guitar: :drums: :violin:

Thank you very much Vinnie !

Can one say that the sound is more laidback or was that restored now after burn in. Are there any differences at all in that aspect compared between DHT and AVC/Tubestage?

For me I am very happy with the LIO but I HOPE that maybe a last veil especially in the mid will be removed with the DHT? If this happens I guess the sound will be a bit more direct as if you are seated  closer to
the stage perhaps?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Magnus

Vinnie R.

« Reply #323 on: 8 Sep 2016, 06:23 pm »
All,

I previously posted this in the Tube Tour thread, but it is important info and I'll post it here as well:

I also want to mention something to all LIO DHT PRE owners:

Regarding tube pins and tube sockets, it is very important to make sure you are getting a good connection.
I have found DHT tubes have some level variation in the diameter of the tube pins (even from batch to batch of
the same tube... it's not *that* uncommon it seems). 

So if you use a tube with a larger pin diameter, it can stretch the tube socket pins to accommodate the tube pin.  However,
when you go back to use a tube with pin(s) of a smaller diameter, the connection might not be as good as it was previously
due to the stretched out socket pin. 

No problem - here is what you do about it:

The Yammamoto Teflon UX4 tube sockets used in the DHT PRE have female pins with a slit in the middle, and
this allows you to push the two halves of the socket pin together (closing the diameter of the female socket and making
a better connection with the tube pin).  See:

If you use a very small flat head screwdriver (e.g. google "jewlers screwdriver," or "eyeglass screwdriver"), you can
easily tighten them up if/as needed.  Just be careful as you do each socket pin.

- Does this need to be done often?   
Not necessarily, but if you are getting an intermittent connection (could be noise, popping, crackling, or any noise that was not there before) with a particular tube, doing what I mention above will take care of it.  It's good to do this if you are tube rolling often, and as I mention in the DHT PRE Owner's Manual, you want to make sure the pins of the tubes that you install are clean *before* installing them!  This is especially important with NOS tubes that might have dirt and oxidation on them.  And you want to make sure your tube socket pins are also clean and free of dust and other contaminants.   

A clean, secure connection is going to provide best results (best sound, lowest noise). 

This adjusting of the socket pins and cleaning them and the tube pins are all part of "normal maintenance" that goes along with tube rolling.  If you confirm a tight connection and don't tube roll often, you probably won't need to do this that often (if ever).

I hope this tip helps!

Vinnie

mirekti

« Reply #324 on: 3 Oct 2016, 10:39 pm »
I think I read about it somewhere, but cannot find it with the search again.
Could you tell me the difference between Nude RVC and Autoformer, what one does better than the other, please?

Oh, and there was supposed to be a photo of DHT PRE with a cover on top of the tubes. Is there one you could share?

Thanks.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #325 on: 3 Oct 2016, 10:52 pm »
I think I read about it somewhere, but cannot find it with the search again.
Could you tell me the difference between Nude RVC and Autoformer, what one does better than the other, please?

Oh, and there was supposed to be a photo of DHT PRE with a cover on top of the tubes. Is there one you could share?

Thanks.

Lots of great pics on Vinnie's website!

George

mirekti

« Reply #326 on: 3 Oct 2016, 11:24 pm »
Lots of great pics on Vinnie's website!

George

Thanks, George, but none with the cover on the tubes. At least I couldn't find one.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #327 on: 3 Oct 2016, 11:37 pm »
Thanks, George, but none with the cover on the tubes. At least I couldn't find one.

Sorry, misread your post.

I haven't seen any pics of the tube covers.  I know mine are in the box and that's where they will stay.

George

Vinnie R.

« Reply #328 on: 4 Oct 2016, 12:38 am »

Hi mirekti,

See: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/vinnierossi2/5.html

The NUDE RVC is the volume control module used with the DHT PRE.  It is an RVC module, but the resistors used are the Vishay nude
Z-Foil by Texas Components ($15 - $20 per resistor!).  They are extremely transparent and do not add or take away from the DHT PRE
stage that follows.

The AVC's would not fit on the DHT PRE module, and the AVC's that we currently use for the LIO AVC/Tubestage add gain (7dB), and the DHT PRE already adds gain in the 6 - 9dB range (depending on the DHT).  So for these reasons, I decided to use a special version of the RVC just for the DHT PRE - and that is the NUDE RVC mentioned above.  8)

Vinnie

mirekti

« Reply #329 on: 4 Oct 2016, 01:02 am »
Vinnie, thank you very much for the detailed answer.
So do both, AVC/Tubestage and DHT PRE, serve as a preamp? I understand one can choose either or.

TomS

« Reply #330 on: 4 Oct 2016, 01:10 am »
So do both, AVC/Tubestage and DHT PRE, serve as a preamp? I understand one can choose either or.
Yes, both are line stages. The AVC/TS is passive with a tube buffer and can provide +7db gain due to the autoformer. The DHT is an active gain stage and provides 6-9db of gain.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #331 on: 5 Oct 2016, 05:00 pm »

Hi mirekti,

With LIO, you have 3 linestage choices (Level 1, 2, and 3):

Level 1 >> RVC + Tubestage.  The RVC does the volume / balance control, and the Tubestage is a buffer that follows
it. 

More info on RVC + Tubestage:  http://www.vinnierossi.com/modules/rvc-tubestage/

Level 2 >> AVC/Tubestage.  This is a module that combines Dave Slagle Autoformers (volume/balance control, with 7dB of gain) and the Tubestage (buffer).

More info on the AVC/Tubestage:  http://www.vinnierossi.com/modules/avctubestage-combo/

Level 3 >> DHT PRE.   This includes the NUDE RVC (volume/balance control), DHT PRE (active linestage with 6 - 9dB of gain), as well as the DHT Power Supply (linear supply that replaces the stock supply to charge LIO, and provides power to the DHT tube filaments).

More info on the DHT PRE:  http://www.vinnierossi.com/dht_pre/

So no matter if you are building a LIO Preamplifier, LIO Integrated Amp, or a custom LIO configuration, you can choose from
the above 3 levels for the linestage section.  On our webpage for these configurations, there is a drop down list so you can choose
the linestage as well as other options (dac, phonostage, headphone amp, etc) and it updates the total cost for you.

You can always upgrade later (e.g. swap AVC/Tubestage for DHT PRE, at 100% trade-in credit!) and add modules later.  That's
what LIO is all about!   

Quote from: TomS
Yes, both are line stages. The AVC/TS is passive with a tube buffer and can provide +7db gain due to the autoformer. The DHT is an active gain stage and provides 6-9db of gain.

Correct!  See you at RMAF, TomS - and hope to see many more of you there as well! 

Vinnie

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #332 on: 5 Oct 2016, 05:05 pm »
You can always upgrade later (e.g. swap AVC/Tubestage for DHT PRE, at 100% trade-in credit!) and add modules later.  That's
what LIO is all about!   

Vinnie
This is one of the biggest things I LOVE about the LIO.  Buy however to fit your budget today and add modules as you can.  Further, as the modules get improvements you can upgrade them too to the latest generation for full credit and just pay the difference.  LIO, honest audio.   :D

sfox7076

« Reply #333 on: 14 Oct 2016, 01:51 pm »
Can someone post a picture of the tube shields.  I would be interested in seeing them. 

Vinnie, another tube to look at is the 112A.  It is akin to a cross between an 01A and a 26 to my ears.

schw06

« Reply #334 on: 14 Oct 2016, 01:57 pm »
There are several pictures of them in Srajan Ebean's review here: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/vinnierossi2/5.html

mcanaday

« Reply #335 on: 27 Oct 2016, 03:20 pm »
Hi all-  just wanted to report in after a little more than two weeks with my LIO integrated with DHT Pre.  I'm using it with Kef LS50s speakers, a Line Magnetic 515 cd player, a Rega RP6 turntable, and all cables and interconnects from Triode Wire Labs.

I upgraded from the AVC tubestage, which I loved, but yes, this is better.  I'm too new at this to know all the right words to say, but I noticed immediately a much bigger sound stage, more detail, and above all, more feeling in the music.  So I am really happy with my decision to try this.

I also did the silent switching upgrade at the same time, and I am also really enjoying the absence of clicks.  (I notice them more now that I don't hear them!)

As for the tubes, I've just tried the stock tubes and the Svetlana 811-10s.  I like them both but I think I give the edge to the stock tubes.   The Svetlanas are definitely more romantic but I think the soundstage and bass are both better with the stock tubes.  But I could see going back and forth depending on mood.  And I want to try at some point the EML mesh plates that so many here seem to think are also a great match.

I'm also hoping before too long to try out my system attached to a pair of Harbeth Monitor 30.1s and see how they do in my room.  But I could also happily stay where I am for a long time!

cheers,  Margot

Vinnie R.

« Reply #336 on: 27 Oct 2016, 07:29 pm »
Hi Margot,

Thanks for your post, and glad you are diggin' the DHT PRE and silent switching in your LIO!  8)

I'm also hoping before too long to try out my system attached to a pair of Harbeth Monitor 30.1s and see how they do in my room.  But I could also happily stay where I am for a long time!

Please keep us posted on this as well!

All the best,

Vinnie

TimS

« Reply #337 on: 7 Jan 2019, 09:23 pm »
Hi Vinnie

I recently moved my stereo to a new cabinet and fiddling around with some cables yesterday I noticed that somehow that the switch at the back of the Ultracap/DHT LPS had been flicked down to the 2A3 position.
I'm not sure when this happened or even if I have actually used the LIO with the 2A3 switch activated.  I have KR PX4 tubes; would I have damaged the LIO or tubes if I had used it with the 2A3 switch activated?
Also, with my KR tubes, would the LIO even work with the switch on?

Thanks

Vinnie R.

« Reply #338 on: 7 Jan 2019, 09:30 pm »
Hi Vinnie

I recently moved my stereo to a new cabinet and fiddling around with some cables yesterday I noticed that somehow that the switch at the back of the Ultracap/DHT LPS had been flicked down to the 2A3 position.
I'm not sure when this happened or even if I have actually used the LIO with the 2A3 switch activated.  I have KR PX4 tubes; would I have damaged the LIO or tubes if I had used it with the 2A3 switch activated?
Also, with my KR tubes, would the LIO even work with the switch on?

Thanks

Hi TimS,

It would not have damaged anything, and yes it would still work, but you are not getting the correct voltage to the PX4s. 

- Make sure that switch is "UP" when using any tube other than the 2A3s. 

- And for PX4's, make sure you have the 4V setting on each of the filament switches (next to the tube sockets).

If you have any questions or need a copy of the manual, please email me.

Thanks,

Vinnie

TimS

« Reply #339 on: 7 Jan 2019, 11:03 pm »
Whew, that's a relief!
Kind-of on the same subject, I've been searching for topics related to LIO DHT's and found this from over a year ago:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143241.msg1612915#msg1612915 where someone asked possibly trying out a VR Mini to feed the filament current of the KR PX4 instead of the supplied LPS and you mentioned you might be able to try it. 
Did you get a chance to do this?
Anything to squeeze the last ounce of goodness out of the already superb LIO DHT!