IDA-8 ($995) features and spec

well

Re: IDA-8 ($995) features and spec
« Reply #620 on: 30 Mar 2020, 08:31 am »
Hi everyone! last week i buy the ida-8 and gamut phi-3 speakers. This combination is great! I am very happy. Just as happy with my headphone setup DAC-9 / HPA-9.  Great job Nuprime. Thanks a lot. Sorry for my english, i'm from Ukraine

iulian

« Reply #621 on: 1 Apr 2020, 08:07 am »
nice, what cables are the green ones.

well

« Reply #622 on: 9 Apr 2020, 02:21 pm »
nice, what cables are the green ones.
Audio Magic Trinium XL

iulian

« Reply #623 on: 9 Apr 2020, 03:13 pm »
thank you

JAC_ZAR

« Reply #624 on: 25 May 2020, 04:37 pm »
Hi,
I own IDA-8, KEF LS50, REL T/7i
What should I do to upgrade my system/sound ?
Will IDA-16 be significantly better than IDA-8 or should I go for ST-10+DAC-10 ?
I'm also considering Hegel H190

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #625 on: 25 May 2020, 08:41 pm »
Hello, JAC_ZAR,

The IDA-8 and IDA-16 have a very different sound. The IDA-8 (with the right speakers) can sound almost tube-like. It is - in my opinion - a great product offered at a steal of a price. I owned one of the first units until about 6 months ago because I gave it to my son as a house warming gift. I replaced it with an IDA-16 because I wanted more power. The IDA-16 is clearer sounding and definitely more analytical. I went through a phase a few years ago during which I thought I liked analytical, but after about 18 months realized I do not. I really like the tube-like sound - regardless of whether it's from a SS amp or a tube amp.

Once I had burned the IDA-16 in and listened to many different songs and three different pairs of speakers, I discovered that what I really wanted was an IDA-8 with a 200 watt amplifier. Apparently, that is not possible.  :( 

There are plenty of people who own an IDA-16 and love what it does and how it sounds in their systems, so don't take my criticisms as representative of the market. I have owned an ST-10. I prefer its sound to that of the IDA-16. I haven't heard the DAC-10 in so many years that I can't possibly tell you how it sounds.

Enjoy your audio journey.

Michael

JackD

« Reply #626 on: 25 May 2020, 10:22 pm »
The DAC-10 is a great piece and pretty much neutral unlike many Sabre based DAC's. To get a half sized combo that gets a sound similar to the IDA-8 with power that my be possible with the ST-10 and the new Alita DAC. The combo side by side would be less than an inch wider than the IDA-16.

John Casler

« Reply #627 on: 25 May 2020, 11:11 pm »
Hi,
I own IDA-8, KEF LS50, REL T/7i
What should I do to upgrade my system/sound ?
Will IDA-16 be significantly better than IDA-8 or should I go for ST-10+DAC-10 ?
I'm also considering Hegel H190

If you don't need digital inputs, then you might consider the new AMG PRA.  It is spectacular

Mated with the AMG STA amp (or a pair in mono) should offer some of the IDA-8 sonic qualities except much better.

Check with your dealer and if you go with that pairing there my be room to trade the IDA-8 in.

If you do need digital inputs, just mix the DAC-10 and the AMG STA or 2.

Let me know if you have questions.

JAC_ZAR

« Reply #628 on: 6 Feb 2021, 12:48 pm »
Recently I listened to the NAD M10 and the Hegel H190
The sound stage and resolution were a little better than the IDA-8 but there was no warmth in the music and their price does not reflect the quality of the sound
So I am waiting for the IDA-32
« Last Edit: 7 Feb 2021, 12:16 pm by JAC_ZAR »

jonbee

« Reply #629 on: 6 Feb 2021, 04:40 pm »
For a few $ the TDSS mods significantly improve the clarity of the IDA-8 and DAC-10. It does not increase the power, however. I have modded Nuprimes (IDA-8 and 2 DAC10-h) in my 3 systems and to me they are permanent fixtures. After 53 years of swapping around that is saying something. Unbeatable values and features in their niches, with or without mods.

rustydoglim

« Reply #630 on: 8 Feb 2021, 09:59 pm »
IDA-8 has achieved the perfect balance for an entry level audiophile integrated at unbeatable price for the sound quality.
To be honest, we don't know how to make it sound better or more powerful without increasing the price by more than 50%.
It is kind of like the Dad's personal music system whereas Omnia A300 is for the whole family.
Cultural and geographical preferences are also quite different. So we do have some people that prefer the A300 sound over IDA-8.

What the IDA-8 lacks is a very good but low cost streaming transport (Stream 9 Mini).
But we have to release the incredible Stream 9 transport first.  :thumb:
If budget allows, go for the Stream 9 (less than $1K, exact price available end of Feb), you will not regret it.  For the same music, ie same 16-bit/44.1kHz music from CDT-10 versus same file streamed from network NAS, the performance of Stream 9 rival that of CDT-10.

a2o

« Reply #631 on: 16 Aug 2021, 10:47 am »
Discovering my new IDA-8  :D, I am also facing new questions as I go...  :?
Unless I have missed it in the manual and scanning through this very extensive thread, I didn't find the answers to the following ones:

-> What is the maximum section of speaker cables (diameter [mm] of area [mm²]) that can be used 'bare wire' (through the hole in the IDA8's terminals)?
I had borrowed some speaker cables (Van den Hul CS122, with a cross-section area of 2.96 mm² according to its specs) to test my new setup, but it seems the cable is too wide/thick to fit well 'bare wire' into the speaker terminals (through the holes transversal to the terminals). (I know I could use banana-plugs (or spades), but I would prefer not to, as I don't need to switch cables regularly, would prefer a solid connection, and this would save me some costs and also space in case of banana-plugs etc.)

-> Can the 'extension port', which is of physical USB-format, be used to power my Chromecast audio (which sends its signal back to the IDA-8 via the optical input)?
(That would save me space and power-socket space.) I don't know if there is any risk in doing so, e.g. if one would inadvertently select that extension port as input while the Chromecast is connected to it. I know Nuprime has other, more feature-rich streamers too, but for the moment I'm quite happy with the limited Chromecast functionality and already own one.

rustydoglim

« Reply #632 on: 17 Aug 2021, 02:44 pm »
-> Can the 'extension port', which is of physical USB-format, be used to power my Chromecast audio (which sends its signal back to the IDA-8 via the optical input)?

Yes, but check the pins compatibility on the Chromecast audio power supply (they should be, but you better check).

jonbee

« Reply #633 on: 17 Aug 2021, 05:30 pm »
IDA-8 has achieved the perfect balance for an entry level audiophile integrated at unbeatable price for the sound quality.
To be honest, we don't know how to make it sound better or more powerful without increasing the price by more than 50%.
I'd agree with that. I can't think of a real competitor at this price where massive drive power is not required. I use mine to drive my inefficient but hi-rez class A Revel Gems in a 10x12 room and it is vey satisfying.
Ultimately it has less slam and fine detail resolution than my far more expensive Cherry Maraschinos or my IDA-16, but it is always musically satisfying in the right system environment.
The IDA-16 is a good choice for a move up in power, slam and resolution. It works great with my Avalons, which are a tough load. Not the best I've used, but diminishing returns come in steeply above this level.

a2o

« Reply #634 on: 20 Aug 2021, 07:31 am »
Yes, but check the pins compatibility on the Chromecast audio power supply (they should be, but you better check).

Thanks!  :D
I cannot find the details about the Chromecast Audio pins (which is used or not and for what).  :(
However, as the Chromecast works with any USB-power outlets, I assume it follows USB-protocol at least for charging (power pins +&- correct), and I understand from your answer that the Nuprime extension ports also does. My concern (not being familiar with those protocols), is if there is any risk of using them together that way if the pins are correct (data versus power): could there still be a risk due to some signal exchanges via the data-pins, for any of the equipments (creating a bug or any other thing)?
I guess that what should without without any risk is looking for a USB-cable that only has the two power-pins connected (charging-only cable).
Could I be forgetting anything here?
Maybe the maximum power that can be drawn from the Nuprime extension port? Are there some specs available for that, does it follow some standard or include a safety which, in case the attached item tries to draw more current, would just limit the current output safeguarding all internals of the Nuprime's?

orfeo_monteverdi

• Demanding music lover and audiophile
« Reply #635 on: 9 Jan 2022, 02:03 pm »
If you don't need digital inputs, then you might consider the new AMG PRA.  It is spectacular

[please excuse my bad English]

I agree.
The AMG-PRA (preamp) & AMG-STA (power amp, 130w) delivers an amazingly good sound, under a compact size.
The Absolute Sound "highly recommended" (review)
Hifi-advice "highly recommended" (review)

That combo drives at my place, in a very good and silent room, one of the finest-sounding 2-ways speakers I know: the Harbeth M30.2 Anniversary. I listen to classical music, wich is very, very demanding regarding timbres. I attended countless of live, unamplified performances.
The result that the AMG combo delivers is very good (and I am very demanding).

AMG thread here.

Just one pic (for the sake of teasing ;-)
(here the SMG-PRA preamp is compared to a Swiss CH-Precision preamp)

Orfeo

bosly

« Reply #636 on: 12 Jan 2022, 07:40 pm »
Hi, what is the optimal volume setting if I am using the IDA-8 as a preamp?

monster7

« Reply #637 on: 28 Feb 2022, 06:30 pm »
First of all, thanks for Nuprime for making this lovely little amp, it is so good for this price that many users has reviewed so I don't need to repeat. As a new user, I have 2 small questions.

1: I can only set 24 or 32 bit in PC (Win 10), no 16 bit as mentioned in manual, does anyone face the same problem?
2: Can any user share which digital input sound the best? I don't have any hi-res file so the better spec in USB input is not relevant to me.

Thanks for your helping.

rustydoglim

« Reply #638 on: 28 Feb 2022, 09:22 pm »
Since you are using PC with USB audio, you should be able to set input in higher bit rate but that will depend on your music file.
If your files are all 16-bit, then IDA-8 will only decode them as 16-bit.
You should be using USB audio if you are connecting the PC to IDA-8, even if your PC has optical or coaxial outputs.

Johlke

« Reply #639 on: 12 Mar 2022, 06:43 pm »
The remote control on my IDA-8 has quit working.  Does anyone know how I can get a replacement?  I was able to speak to the guy who distributes Nuprime products and he asked me to email him and he'd get back to me but he never did.  I'd be open to buying a used remote or even a universal remote if those options are available.  Thanks!