Cartridge for Well Tempered Labs Classic

daveyonthecoast

Cartridge for Well Tempered Labs Classic
« on: 5 Mar 2016, 09:56 am »
Hello Friends
I, looking for a new cartridge, for my well tempered classic, I have been offered a new cartridge, fron Zu audio for about half the price, it is a revamped Dennon DL 103, as a friend, has offered, to me as, a present for my assistance, around $450.00, I'm at the moment on a budget, and would like to take up his offer, I, at the moment am running a shelter MM, entry level cartridge, which is OK. I mean my system sounds great, but I think, switching to the MC, on the phono stage, with 100ohm loading plugs, should do better, the phono stage, (State Vacume), Swiss made, is awesome!!
What I need to know, is the cartridge, weigh's 14 grams, about half of the Zu, although I have two counterweights, for the arm, I can;t see a problem, but will it be to strong to set azamuth, as you all know the arm is in a silcon cup, and will the fishing line, and silcone, be able to handle, the all of the above, another thing will the above be a good compliance, for the well tempered arm??
Any Thoughts
Many Thanks
David

Panelhead1

Re: Cartridge for Well Tempered Labs Classic
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2016, 03:55 pm »
  I never used a cartridge that stiff on my square motor WTT. Do not laugh, a Sumiko Blue Point worked great.
  The compliance of a Denon 103 should not work with a tonearm as low mass as the WTT. Mine came with a Marigo dampening collar for the fluid cup. Not sure if it helped, it looked great.
  Think I used a Goldring Eroica on the table too. And an aging Kiseki Purpleheart. The Denon 103 series need a big, stiff, and heavy tonearm to push against. The 5 compliance is in error. It is 7-8 which is still low.

/mp

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2016, 11:37 pm »
FWIW, I still have my original WTT&T. Used a Denon 103D for many years. Also used <$100 & low hundreds $ Grados vdH 1 & grasshopper.  I liked the 103D a lot. More than the Grados but less then the vdHs. Performance commensurate with price or power of expectation? 

threadkiller

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2016, 01:25 am »
Sorry to butt in, but I read something that simply isn't true. The 103 will work just fine with any WTL.
What you might be leaving out of the equation is the phono stage used. Time and time again these cartridges are mismatched or given a shitty phono stage to work with. Not the table/arm/ or cartridges fault.

I'll leave you to it... happy listening...

Panelhead1

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2016, 01:56 am »
  It may be a loading problem. My combo was not optimal. The original Sumiko Bluepoint worked great. Used an aluminum P-mount adapter.

threadkiller

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2016, 03:34 pm »
You're right, there were so many Blue Points sold with Classics back then. So many Blue Points in general. They seemed like such a huge improvement over the Grados, Shures, and AudioTechnicas that ruled the day. Now it's all those god-awful Ortofons. Bleh.

mick wolfe

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2016, 05:18 pm »
Sorry to butt in, but I read something that simply isn't true. The 103 will work just fine with any WTL.
What you might be leaving out of the equation is the phono stage used. Time and time again these cartridges are mismatched or given a shitty phono stage to work with. Not the table/arm/ or cartridges fault.

I'll leave you to it... happy listening...

Yes indeed, both the Zu103 and Zu103R work extremely well with the Amadeus. You'll need both WTL counterweights or the aftermarket XTC, but it's a superb combination either way. Using a A23 SUT/ Shindo Aurieges MM BTW.

threadkiller

« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2016, 09:40 pm »
Now you're talkin!
Too bad all of you can't snap your fingers and go listen to that rig of Mick's. To experience it is to then have knowledge. Not forum knowledge, but actual factual knowledge. And bring your diapers.  :wink:

My greatest hope is that some of you geniuses who build unnecessary cleaners and cobble broken tables together will design a teleporter system for any forum member to instantly materialize in another member's listening room. It would certainly be the most useful thing one could do for the hobby.