ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!

Wayne1

Re: ModWright Transporter Tube Rolling Thread.....!
« Reply #760 on: 11 Feb 2009, 07:06 pm »
Thanks for the confidence, guys.

v2.3 adaptors should ship to ted_b, rydenfan and zybar today or tomorrow.

If the three of them concur with quality of workmanship, I will start making them available for orders.

I would be looking at roughly $125.00 for the pair plus shipping.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #761 on: 11 Feb 2009, 07:10 pm »

If the three of them concur with quality of workmanship, I will start making them available for orders.

Wayne,

If they are equal to or better than the pairs I have seen, get ready to sell a lot of them!

Absolutely worth every penny and highly recommended if you want to unlock the full potential of your Modwright TP.

George

George

rydenfan

« Reply #762 on: 11 Feb 2009, 07:39 pm »

Cant wait to try them out!  :thumb: got some NOS Tung Sol Black Glass round pplate 6SN7's ready to go into them  :drool:

Once the EML's get back into stock within the next few days I should be all set for awhile  :wink:

Berto

« Reply #763 on: 11 Feb 2009, 08:55 pm »
  Hey guys been a HUGE fan of this thread, ever since I got a transporter 2months ago, and now come thurs nite, my second transporter, the full-monty modwright.  Gonna sell stock unit after I A B it for shits and giggles
   Want to thank rydenfan for turning me onto Ipeng, since I happened to have a itouch, that App is just amazing.  Hooked already
   Got AA capitole amp and it was like a new amp after installing Sylvania 6sn7 badboys, so will try to scoop up another pair to try with the octal adaptors when ready.  And the EML seems like the conclusive choice for a rectifier so hopefully by 400 hours I will have what seems to be from this thread "the ideal setup"
   Keep up the good work guys and hopefully I will be able to add some good info to this site after my break-in period. Damn gotta wait another 24hrs for this thing..lol

rydenfan

« Reply #764 on: 11 Feb 2009, 09:20 pm »
Berto, welcome and congrats  :thumb: I am sure you will be very pleased  aa

And yes, the ipeng native app is absolutely amazing. My hunch is that Ted will have something to say about ipeng soon as well  :wink:

Philistine

« Reply #765 on: 11 Feb 2009, 10:24 pm »
  Hey guys been a HUGE fan of this thread, ever since I got a transporter 2months ago, and now come thurs nite, my second transporter, the full-monty modwright.  Gonna sell stock unit after I A B it for shits and giggles
   Want to thank rydenfan for turning me onto Ipeng, since I happened to have a itouch, that App is just amazing.  Hooked already
   Got AA capitole amp and it was like a new amp after installing Sylvania 6sn7 badboys, so will try to scoop up another pair to try with the octal adaptors when ready.  And the EML seems like the conclusive choice for a rectifier so hopefully by 400 hours I will have what seems to be from this thread "the ideal setup"
   Keep up the good work guys and hopefully I will be able to add some good info to this site after my break-in period. Damn gotta wait another 24hrs for this thing..lol

Hi Berto, glad you find the thread fun - I've found it expensive :bawl:, I've got more money tied up in tubes than I've got tied up in Wall St  :(  Maybe they've got more value though today :thumb:
Anyway, not many have AB'd the stock and Modwright TP, it'll be interesting to get your feedback.

Philistine

« Reply #766 on: 11 Feb 2009, 10:32 pm »
Berto, welcome and congrats  :thumb: I am sure you will be very pleased  aa

And yes, the ipeng native app is absolutely amazing. My hunch is that Ted will have something to say about ipeng soon as well  :wink:

David, I bought a Nokia 800 for a remote - love it so much that it's replaced my laptop when I travel (you can't imagine how satisfying it is to disappoint the TSA guys when you tell they find out you don't have a laptop).  Then bought a Controller but this has now become a bedroom player as the built in DAC allows you to output via headphones etc.  Bottom line - I need a new remote so I'm interested in the ipeng application also.  It's not tube rolling, should we continue here, start a new thread or join an existing one?
Phil

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #767 on: 11 Feb 2009, 10:48 pm »
There's an existing "what's your favorite iPhone App" thread.  But let me just say, although I've used the Nokia skin on my Nokia 710, and used the Slimpronto apo for my Pronto 9400 (my go-to remtoe for my music room/HT), the ipeng app on my newly acquired (thanks David) iTouch is very very slick, and it finds the server immediately.  Very nice.

Audioclyde

« Reply #768 on: 12 Feb 2009, 11:06 pm »
My MW Transporter burn in is continuing--has about 60 hours or so on it now (had to be out of town the 1st part of the week, so had to shut the system down a few days).  The sound has become much nicer; the detail and music/information cue aspect is outstanding.  The mids/lower mids & bass are beginning to fill out a bit more; I'm certainly hoping the sound continues to get more rich/fuller (for want of better terms) as burn in continues.  Soundstage is good, already comparable to what I was experiencing with my CD player.

I'm looking forward to more improvement as burn in continues, and eagerly anticipating getting the chance to buy a pair of Wayne's adaptors and roll some 6SN7's in.  I like a really rich, organic sound, with a touch of warmth, so the descriptions a number of you have provided regarding your experience with the 6SN7's have me very hopeful  :D.

Randy

Mr P

« Reply #769 on: 13 Feb 2009, 12:12 am »
Yes, the Chimera Labs write-up seems to be the 6SN7 gospel.  The no. 1 ranked tube, the Tung Sol round plate, is the tube George loaned to David and I, and is the real deal.  It's expensive ($450/pair).  No 2 on the list is the VT-231 RCA (aka JAN CRC) and I recently bought a pair of those from an Ebay seller for $70/pair shipped.  They are warming up in my TP currently.  I saw a pair of No.3 (VT-231 Sylvanias, aka JAN-CHS) for about $160/pair.   So, the esoteric tubes in this family aren't all ridiculous money, and some other nice ones down the list are $40-50/pair.

A question for you lucky guys with the 6SN7 adaptors.  :drool: :drool: In general, how does the transparency with the 6SN7s compare to the transparency using the RCA Cleartops?  I am still having a major love affair with the EML/RCA Cleartop combination and am trying to decide if I want to go on another tube rolling expedition.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mark

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #770 on: 13 Feb 2009, 12:40 am »
Yes, the Chimera Labs write-up seems to be the 6SN7 gospel.  The no. 1 ranked tube, the Tung Sol round plate, is the tube George loaned to David and I, and is the real deal.  It's expensive ($450/pair).  No 2 on the list is the VT-231 RCA (aka JAN CRC) and I recently bought a pair of those from an Ebay seller for $70/pair shipped.  They are warming up in my TP currently.  I saw a pair of No.3 (VT-231 Sylvanias, aka JAN-CHS) for about $160/pair.   So, the esoteric tubes in this family aren't all ridiculous money, and some other nice ones down the list are $40-50/pair.

A question for you lucky guys with the 6SN7 adaptors.  :drool: :drool: In general, how does the transparency with the 6SN7s compare to the transparency using the RCA Cleartops?  I am still having a major love affair with the EML/RCA Cleartop combination and am trying to decide if I want to go on another tube rolling expedition.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mark

Transparency?  Let me see.  Hmm....  :)  Ok, I'll first compare transparency on the RCA clear tops vs the Tung Sol round plates 6Sn7's with black glass.  The clear tops are a cleanly washed screened window, that if you sit far enough you can't see the screen effect, but it's there.  Most of the outdoor details comes through just fine.  The round plates are when the screens are taken down to be cleaned and you are looking out of the hole left in the window frame......no screen, no glass pane....I can hear the edges of the soundstage so much better; everything is delineated.  OK, so great.  Those are $400/pair.  How about my recent buy, the VT-231 RCA (JAN CRC) with greyed out glass? $70/pair.  Now we're talking...Well, put the glass pane back in, but the glass is Corning optical glass with zero defects.  All you get is a slight reflection when the sun is at a certain angle, otherwise no difference from zero glass.  The transparency adds to the richness, too.  To keep with the same analog, the flowers out the window are much more full of colors and hues and textures without the screen in.

Please note that these silly analogs are courtesy of the EML as recitifer, too, so I have to restate that the combo is the king.....although I heard a few good 6Sn7's with my fat base Mullard, the real transparency, detail and wide bandwidth listening sessions of the past week have been due to the arrival and break-in of the EML and the top-of-the-class 6SN7/VT-231 family of octals. 

rydenfan

« Reply #771 on: 13 Feb 2009, 01:16 am »
Ted's analogy is quite good. Also, I am eagerly awaiting the EML's to come back into stock so I am in a place to comment strictly on 6CG7's to 6SN7's. For me, it is pretty simple; the 6SN7's are easily a more detailed tube than my previous detail favorite RCA Cleartop 6CG7's. The Cleartops now sound a bit muddy and smeared in comparison so if you let more of the music flow/letting as much signal through as possible and more micro and macro details than I would consider the 6SN7's the more transparent tube.

If the EML has the same profound impact in my system that the 6SN7's have then I would be pretty excited  :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #772 on: 13 Feb 2009, 05:44 pm »
BTW, the fact that my EML tube and the somewhat flimsy but great sounding V1 adapters/6SN7s are so tall and potentially tipsy physically led me to think about whether they would benefit from Herbie's newer ultrasonic tube dampers (size 70 for the EML, size 30 for the pair of 6Sn7's).  I have only a couple of days with them but I detect a subtle tightening of the soundstage and a not so subtle top end control (less sizzle, more shine).  It's not night-n-day but it is worth the investment in my system (plus Herbie has a 90 day no-risk return policy).   His earlier Hal-O versions would often overdamp in some applications (disliked them on my SWL 9.0SE) but the feedback on the tungtsen-based ultrasonics are have been pretty positive....including this one.   :)

I'll experiment with dampers on just the EML and vice versa, and report back, but it may be awhile.  I've got to let everything settle, and listen to some music for once.  :)

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #773 on: 13 Feb 2009, 05:50 pm »
BTW, the fact that my EML tube and the somewhat flimsy but great sounding V1 adapters/6SN7s are so tall and potentially tipsy physically led me to think about whether they would benefit from Herbie's newer ultrasonic tube dampers (size 70 for the EML, size 30 for the pair of 6Sn7's).  I have only a couple of days with them but I detect a subtle tightening of the soundstage and a not so subtle top end control (less sizzle, more shine).  It's not night-n-day but it is worth the investment in my system (plus Herbie has a 90 day no-risk return policy).   His earlier Hal-O versions would often overdamp in some applications (disliked them on my SWL 9.0SE) but the feedback on the tungtsen-based ultrasonics are have been pretty positive....including this one.   :)

Ted,

That is consistent with what I have found using Herbie's latest on the rectifier or 6H30DR tubes. 

I have been so focused on the 6SN7 tubes, that I forgot to mention that I have been using the Herbie's Dampers for months.   :duh:

George 

Tyrro

• 5th note design studio
« Reply #774 on: 13 Feb 2009, 07:34 pm »
If anyone interested I have 6H8C - a Russian military version of 6SN7, I have some from 1952, 53 and 54.
$350 per quad, $180 per a pair, or $95 per single tube.

I have compared them to my Sylvania 6SN7 GTB with chrome tops from 1940's and I preferred 6H8C, much more refined and balanced sound across frequency spectrum.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #775 on: 13 Feb 2009, 07:55 pm »
If anyone interested I have 6H8C - a Russian military version of 6SN7, I have some from 1952, 53 and 54.
$350 per quad, $180 per a pair, or $95 per single tube.

I have compared them to my Sylvania 6SN7 GTB with chrome tops from 1940's and I preferred 6H8C, much more refined and balanced sound across frequency spectrum.

Tyrro,

The Sylvania 6SN7 GTB tubes will run $50-100 a pair for NOS from the 50's or 60's from very reputable dealers (potentially a little less if you go ebay or other sources).

At $180 a pair, your Russian tubes need to compete with the likes of the Raytheon VT-231's, Sylvania VT-231's, Ken-Rad VT-231's, Sylvania 6SN7W (short bottle), etc...

George

Tyrro

• 5th note design studio
« Reply #776 on: 13 Feb 2009, 08:15 pm »
Well, I wasn't imposing with what/which tube it will compete, just offering some tubes for you guys to try - you decide with what it will compete.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #777 on: 13 Feb 2009, 08:18 pm »
Well, I wasn't imposing with what/which tube it will compete, just offering some tubes for you guys to try - you decide with what it will compete.

If you are talking about trying them out, I am sure Ted, David, or me would take a pair to try out.  I can compare them to the best 6SN7's out there.

I thought you were talking about selling them, so that is why I made my previous post.

George

dmatt

« Reply #778 on: 13 Feb 2009, 08:19 pm »
Ted, are those Russian military tubes comparable to the Tung Sol round plates you love (and as you said, you should for the $$)?  Brent Jesse said they were comparable in build to Tung Sol oval plates and sounded like what Telefunken would sound like if they made 6SN7.

http://www.audiotubes.com/6sn7.htm see "6H8C" on the page

Being a tube noob, I have no clue if Mr. Jesse's opinion is valued or if there is a big diff between round and oval plated Tung Sols.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

David

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #779 on: 13 Feb 2009, 08:25 pm »
Ted, are those Russian military tubes comparable to the Tung Sol round plates you love (and as you said, you should for the $$)?  Brent Jesse said they were comparable in build to Tung Sol oval plates and sounded like what Telefunken would sound like if they made 6SN7.

http://www.audiotubes.com/6sn7.htm see "6H8C" on the page

Being a tube noob, I have no clue if Mr. Jesse's opinion is valued or if there is a big diff between round and oval plated Tung Sols.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

David

Brent has an excellent reputation.

FWIW, I haven't heard another 6SN7 that is as good all around as the Tung Sol black glass round plates.  I think Ted and David hold the same opinion after trying out a few different ones these last few weeks.

George