Lampizator Level 3 Dac

DavidS

Re: Lampizator Level 3 Dac
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jul 2011, 02:46 pm »
Guy - this seems like a good place to write about your lampizator dac - I look forward to reading your impressions wherever you write them.  Will be particularly interesting given how different your amp / speakers are from mine (would love to hear your speakers!).  Curious about your's being a 3.5 vs a 3 or 4 - didn't know there were 1/2 models. 

I am packing the dac to send off to another listener today...will miss this great sound.  In my system is particularly great with rock music - yesterday ran through Buddy Guy, Giant Sand, Jimmy Buffet, the Eels, and Cheap Trick all best I have ever heard these cds sound in my room. 

playntheblues

• D-Sonic, Mola Mola TamBagui, Tekton DISE
« Reply #21 on: 30 Jul 2011, 04:08 pm »
That's awesome I am really looking forward to the DAC.  I came up with the 3.5 designation, Lukasz told me that mine was almost a 4 and said it was a wolf in sheeps clothing do to all of the upgrades I had him do, hence Level 3.5  :D 

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #22 on: 30 Jul 2011, 04:58 pm »
Will simply spending more $$$ = better sound? It would be interesting having a DAC-off between the Lampizator and some of the hotter but less expensive DACs' such as the Burson DA-160 $950,   db Audio Labs Tranquility Signature Edition $1495, Neko D100 Mk II ($1395) and the Bolder modded Eastern Electric.

avta

playntheblues

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2011, 07:58 pm »
"Will spending more money = a better DAC?". You know that is a rude and condensending question.  There are better ways to get the same point across that would be kinder!  My other DAC is much more expensive it is a Berkeley.  I don,t see these comments when talking about
DCS, Zanden, Berkeley etc., I am curious as to why the LampizatOr DAC invokes this rudeness.

Will spending more money get you a better car, house, speakers etc.?  Come on now be nice, in most cases yes, are there exceptions ,yes.  Are they common place no.  We will see but my motivation with every piece of gear I
have purchased was to get GREAT value.  I have not purchased 20,000. Or 30,000. Equipment, not that there is anything wrong with that I just feel there is a point of deminishing returns.

Enjoy your sub 1,000.00 DACs there are truly some great ones and some true giant killers.

Kind Regards,

Guy
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2011, 10:57 pm by playntheblues »

DavidS

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jul 2011, 11:45 pm »
I think there are a couple of things at work here:

1.  with dacs there is this sense that with technology rapidly evolving and flavour of the week dacs that a 1K dac can compete with the 5k dac.  I read this on the 6 moons site this morning - as Srajan starts his review of the new 1K Burson dac (I believe its predecessor was competitive with a 5k Weiss dac).  My sense is that this belief is not as much the same with speakers or amplifiers where high quality parts are just plain expensive and most of us intuitively understand that expensive drivers produce better quality sound.  Everyone wants great value - I have to be honest this is one the reasons I still have a $400 dacmagic feeding my 7k Audio Note speakers - I haven't found the sweet spot yet.  That said the Lampizator compared to my dacmagic is like comparing my Audio Note HE's to the Paradigm Audio monitors I used to have (great value that they were).

2.  I once spent 35k on a sailboat - used it a lot less and probably got less enjoyment than I get from my 7k speakers.  A buddy has easily 40K worth of motorcycles that he just loves and consumes large volumes of his free time.  My son loves his Mustang Shelby - and it is so much more fun to drive than my Toyota Matrix.  His computer speakers are crap though and he is constantly amazed at how good his music sounds on my system...  I think it is great that there is cheap and cheerful audio gear but also love that there is the high end that really pushes the envelope of live music re-creation.  There is no hobby that I know of that has so many different flavours and no one way of enjoying the hobby.

Yikes...probably too much from the pulpit apologies if this strikes that cord for you...but don't short change yourself if you get a chance to listen to the Lampizator, it is an amazing source particularly for computer based music.

playntheblues

« Reply #26 on: 31 Jul 2011, 12:22 am »
Cheap and Cheerful is everywhere, lightspeed attenuators, Tekton speakers etc.  Digital is changing quicker than anything right now but does not have a monopoly on cheap and cheerful. 

My point is why rain on other peoples excitement.  If I caN find better gear at a better price I will buy it.  That is a big part of this hobby for me.  right down to my anti cables.

I believe just as you have 1000. DACs that can out pro form 5k DACs you also have 5 and 6k DACs that can out pro form 20 to 40k DACs.  Or the very best gear (for you listening tastes) available, and this is my quest.
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2011, 01:00 am by playntheblues »

playntheblues

« Reply #27 on: 3 Aug 2011, 01:02 am »
A brief update...My LampizatOr DAC has been delayed one week.  It will now ship next Monday.  :evil:

playntheblues

« Reply #28 on: 5 Aug 2011, 01:23 pm »
Lukasz just sent me a note, he will be sending pictures of the completed DAC this evening.  With a little luck I will be able to figure out how to post them here.

playntheblues

« Reply #29 on: 21 Aug 2011, 08:29 pm »
Ok the LampizatOr has arrived and is burning in.  Rigth now as I type it has 54 hours and counting.  It is a Level 4, my DACs in order have been, Bel Canto 2, Audio logic MXL 34, Dodson 218, Accustic arts MK4, Berkeley and Now the LampizatOr L4.

While every DAC has out proformed it,s predessor this is by far the biggest jump in sonics.  After I get 200 hours on the DAC I will post some detailed thoughts.

For all of the na Sayers ( negitive folks) out there.  My thoughts are just that
and they reflect my tastes, my room, my gear and my hearing loss ( we all have some hearing loss).

I will mention this, when I find myself trying to analyze the sound I keep getting lost in the music and give up on trying to be so anal. 

If anyone has ant questions please feel free to ask.

Guy

playntheblues

« Reply #30 on: 22 Aug 2011, 10:33 am »

HT cOz

« Reply #31 on: 22 Aug 2011, 05:43 pm »
I wonder if he would ever reconsider the Level 1 kit for the USA? :scratch:

playntheblues

« Reply #32 on: 9 Sep 2011, 11:18 pm »
Just ordered a Level 5 LampizatOr should be here in Oct.  If the natives don't get rude, again I will try to post some thoughts.
Kind Regards,
Guy

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 9 Sep 2011, 11:33 pm »
Just ordered a Level 5 LampizatOr should be here in Oct.  If the natives don't get rude, again I will try to post some thoughts.
Kind Regards,
Guy

:o  Congrats!  So I know it's a two chassis unit.  What else do you get?  Price is $8200.  Right?

playntheblues

« Reply #34 on: 5 Oct 2011, 01:46 am »
Fed-X has the DAC and it should be on my door step on Friday  :D  Level 5 is on the way!  Yes it is a two box DAC with a tubed power supply.  Here is a brief note I got from Lukasz

"The sound difference is so big that it is Unbelievable.
You will kill those people who are doubtful. This DAC rocks like nothing I ever heard.

Keep handy ONE piece of old nos 6SN7GT with the smoothest sound you can find (not the Red Base please)  (easier to find one good orphan than a pair) and maybe also one rectifier from 5?4?  like GZ34, 5A4Z, Z4 / 5Z4G / CV1863 / 5U4C /  for Nosing your rectifier and power supply stabilizer tube (this is my first ever DAC with tube stabilizer - regulator). I used for both functions the best soviet tubes - 5C4S and 6H8C respectively and they are good but not as great as some Marconi, Mullard, Bendix (for rectifiers) and Tung-Sol, Marconi, GEC - of the 6SN7GT breed.

The playing tubes are Polish pentodes ef80 from TELAM company made in 1963 in preparation for the WW III to nuke you guys.  I will also test briefly the scarce EF800 from Telefunken whichever are best.
I think that this DAC defines a new playing field for this type of product."

I will post an invite for Nov. 5th for the local audio club so it can be heard, also Dave from Raven audio is going to bring over his 150 watt mono blocks.

Kind Regards,
Guy

DavidS

« Reply #35 on: 5 Oct 2011, 02:30 am »
Congrats Guy - wow Level 5!  Wish I was near you and could have a listen ... still have good memories from this summer and the Level 3.  The best sound I have ever heard in my living room.  In fact was listening to Betty Soo last night through my new dac, a JKDac, and the sound is excellent particularly with Pure Music but was thinking fondly of this same album playing on the Lamp 3 - so detailed, fleshy, and quiet quiet background.  Looking for the envious emoticom - I know I can have one for 10k or so.

David

OzarkTom

« Reply #36 on: 6 Nov 2011, 06:12 pm »
Kind Regards,
Guy

Hey Guy, how is that 5 sounding?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #37 on: 8 Nov 2011, 01:27 am »

wisnon

Big Red Machine

« Reply #39 on: 5 Jan 2012, 03:54 pm »
The Lampizator 3 has intrigued me.  I am told by the US rep that the 4 is about 10% better so with the 3 you save a bundle.  After I get my speakers in place this spring, I may be looking at other dacs and this unit is on my list.