WTB: TBI Magellan Sub

Abby356

WTB: TBI Magellan Sub
« on: 8 Oct 2009, 02:00 pm »
Interested in a single or possibly a pair of TBI Magellan subs. Both passive and active models considered. Thanks all, Daniel.

Edit: I've decided that I prefer the passive models. Please PM me if you have any you want to part with.
« Last Edit: 31 Oct 2009, 02:15 pm by Abby356 »

Abby356

Re: WTB: TBI Magellan Sub
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2009, 02:16 pm »
Bump for the passive models ...thanks

Daniel

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2009, 05:31 pm »
I looked up the website, TBI and the subs are interesting to say the least, cause they are so small! We've seen stuff like this before but perhaps the designer, Jan Plummer is on to something who knows? I don't think you can defeat the basic laws of physics, but he does have a number of pending patents, see here. Emphasis on pending patents of course. Good luck on your search. I know you have the Nathans from Geddes so it will be interesting to see what you think of the integration, and overall sub bass performance of the TBI's.

Best,
Anand.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2009, 12:22 am »

Hi Abby:

I once owned this sub.

If you play at any volume you most likely will need two.

I was not impressed with it and sold mine in mint condition.

You would do much better to get a sub from GR Research, or his supplier.

Just my humble advice.

Rocket_Ronny

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 2 Nov 2009, 01:43 am »

Hi Abby:

I once owned this sub.

If you play at any volume you most likely will need two.

I was not impressed with it and sold mine in mint condition.

You would do much better to get a sub from GR Research, or his supplier.

Just my humble advice.

Rocket_Ronny

Ron,

Confirmed my suspicion. And I respect your opinion, knowing what speakers you own. There is no replacement for displacement. Other contenders include Exodus Audio, Rhythmik Audio, and a DIY design using AE speakers, etc...there are also commercial fellas like Epik subwoofers, or of course the subs Earl Geddes is selling himself.

Best,
Anand.

Abby356

« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2009, 10:31 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. I think Anand knows where i'm headed with this one. The most important part of adding a sub, or should i say multiple subs, for me will be integration. I plan on using a couple of these Magellans for their reputed speed and ease of integration. Later if necessary i will add a "ULF" type sub for the "slam" factor. I'm one of those folks that has a real sensitivity to single note bass, especially when i can localize the source. I would rather do without a sub at all than have the typical "boom" factory in the corner.

Daniel

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2009, 11:34 pm »
If you are going with multiple subs as you say, then IMO they are a good choice.  Unlike the Sunfire subs I have heard, they are not boom box bass modules. The TBI's are clean and crisp.

Quality trumps quantity.

RichardS

« Reply #7 on: 3 Nov 2009, 01:46 am »
My experience:
I used a pair of Magellan VIIIs in my main system a few years back. I thought they were quite good, but ultimately I wanted more air movement and replaced them with a pair of RBH 1010s. The RBH have more slam and move more air, but are a little slower than the Magellans, and maybe a little more one-notey, but just a little. For me, it was a good trade, though occasionally I regret it. I still use a Magellan in my Home Theater set-up, which may seem counter-intuitive, but movies have so much more deep (and sloppy) bass and the Magellans ameliorate the shortcomings with their tightness and quickness.

Regalma

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2024, 07:55 pm »
I have a TBI Magellan VIII SU that I am about offer for sale. It is a bit scratched and scuffed. Easy enough to repaint. If you are interested I'll let it go for $200 plus shipping. I live in the Santa Cruz, CA area.