Mains Leads

davidw

• http://www.wnaudio.com
Mains Leads
« on: 11 Feb 2004, 12:36 pm »
Over the past couple of years I've made up mains leads for customers on an ad hoc basis, and they seem to go down pretty well. I've decided to offer mains leads as a standard product. These leads are not hewn from single crystals of the philosophers stone, they do not violate the laws of quantum physics, they aren't justified with lengthy pseudo scientific prose, and they don't stand up and whistle Dixie. The leads are intended to provide the lowest resistance mating with their respective plugs and sockets, they have low resistance, capacitance and inductance, they're screened to prevent the ingress and egress of interference, and they're constructed from high quality wires and components.
The cables are made from 3way plaited, silver plated, ptfe insulated, ofc wire. This is then covered with a dense braided screen of silver plated ofc wire. Finally an outer layer of braided nylon is added for abrasion resistance. The standard cable is 2m long with a nickel plated IEC 320 connector on one end and a MK 13A Safetyplug on the other. It costs £35 The premium cable is also 2m long, with the same wires as the standard cable, but using heavy silver plated IEC and 13A plugs on each end. It costs £65. A six way socket strip with heavy silver plated 13A sockets, a 2m cable and a heavy silver plated 13A plug costs £95. Heavy silver plated IEC mains inlet plugs, and 2way 13A sockets for replacing existing domestic wall sockets will also be available.
Full details in the catalogue in 2-3 weeks time.

andyr

Re: Mains Leads
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jun 2005, 10:10 am »
Quote from: davidw
... The leads are intended to provide the lowest resistance mating with their respective plugs and sockets, they have low resistance, capacitance and inductance, they're screened to prevent the ingress and egress of interference ...
Hi, David,

I'm interested in understanding why you think the benefits of using a screen (ie. shield) for a power cable is worth the resultant increased active-to-ground and neutral-to-ground capacitance ... which I understood was a bad thing for a PC?

Also, plaiting (braiding) the 3 wires produces a much higher active-to-ground and neutral-to-ground capacitance than, say, simply making a twisted pair from the active and neutral (for low L), and counter-spiralling the earth wire ... or better still, making a (twisted) quad-star of 2 actives and 2 neutrals and then counter-spiraling a thick earth wire.

I'm afraid, being in Oz, I am not a likely buyer of your PCs (as I'd have to remove the Safetyplug) but I was intrigued by your PC description.

Regards,

Andy