Tube Preamp withe Bryston Amps

Eric

« on: 12 Jan 2005, 03:58 pm »
Has any one used a tubed preamp with any of the Bryston Amps? What have you tried and what has been your experience?

Crimson

« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2005, 05:24 pm »
I've used the following with the 7B-ST:

Cary SLP-50B
Cary SLP-2002
Cary SLP-88
Cary SLP-98L
CJ PV-14LSII
CJ Premier-17LS
AR LS-16
AR LS-25
Bottlehead Foreplay with Sweet Whispers and C4S.

and am currently using an AVA T-7ECR hybrid.  IMHO, mating a tubed pre with a SS amp(s) gets the music just right. Just need to be a little careful matching tubed pre's with high bandwidth amps like the Brystons. Even the smallest bit of DC on the pre's outputs isn't pretty. My current pre beats the others mentioned above in terms of dynamics and extension with just the right amount of mid-range warmth.

perose

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2005, 09:42 pm »
Sonic Frontiers Line-3 SE here with 7B-STs. :thumb:

KKM

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2005, 04:17 pm »
Have used the Marsh p2000t and ARC LS1 with 4B-ST, both with excellent results. Prefer the Marsh match better. Great detail and dynamics with Tung Sol tube.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2005, 04:35 pm »
KEM:

Does the Marsh P2000t Come with Tung Sol tubes or did you install them?
  I'm thinking going to a tube preamp and I'm reading just about everything I can about tube preamps.

Cheers
                Charlie

Ron D

« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2005, 05:37 pm »
With a 4B-ST - Rogue 66 and 66 Magnum, very nice match-up, good value on the Rogue

With 4B-SST - Rogue 66 Magnum ok but when I went to the 99 Magnum thats a whole different experience. Superb value for Magnum 99 when bought used in the $1300 range.

With 14B-SST - Magnun 99 and then a Hovland HP-100, now we are talking a new path to enlightenment!  The only preamp (in a price range that I can live within) that I would consider trying after inserting the Hovland is the new BP-26 with built in DAC and it would be more for the DAC then anything else.

Bryston amps obviously work extremely well with their own SS preamps but many people have had good success with tubes just ahead of their Bryston amps...

You might do a search over at AA or A-gon

KKM

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2005, 04:21 pm »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
KEM:

Does the Marsh P2000t Come with Tung Sol tubes or did you install them?
  I'm thinking going to a tube preamp and I'm reading just about everything I can about tube preamps.

Cheers
                Charlie

I installed them myself after researching which brands would sound their best with the 5687, and these fit the bill perfectly. They originally came with National. What's great about tube hybrids is that you can change the sound of pre for the better (or worse) with minimal investment with a change of a tube or two.

Allezvite

Toobz with Bryston
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2005, 10:10 pm »
I use a VTL TL2.5 pre in front of my 3BSST.  This combo makes music.  There are not freq response issues that I can hear or other anomalies.

Local dealer has sold a few of this combo (VTL 2.5 & 5.5 Pre with Bryston 3B & 4BSST's power) and reports all his customers are happy with the "mixed marriage".

TeeJay

Rogue is a favorite choice, mine as well
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2005, 01:17 am »
Rogue 66 Magnum with Bryston 4B is a match made in heaven.