Michael Jackson "The King of Pop" dies at 50.

cryoparts

Re: Michael Jackson "The King of Pop" dies at 50.
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jun 2009, 05:24 pm »
Anyone know how truly involved MJ was in the creative side of things?

He was very involved, indeed.  There are many documentaries and such about what a perfectionist he was.

Lee

mfsoa

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jun 2009, 06:40 pm »
Cool, Lee. Thanks

hotroady

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jun 2009, 06:46 pm »
He touched alot of people.
                                                                                                      He touched a lot of people.

PhilNYC

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jun 2009, 06:50 pm »
Anyone know how truly involved MJ was in the creative side of things?

He was very involved, indeed.  There are many documentaries and such about what a perfectionist he was.

Lee

Yeah, I remember reading stuff about him particularly with how he wanted his concerts/live performances to sound.  Not sure if this continued to be true, but when he went on tour for BAD, he was adamant that everything had to be played live....no computers/sequencers, recordings, etc were allowed.  For his bands, he definitely surrounded himself with top-tier musicians...

rockadanny

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jun 2009, 11:53 pm »
No one else bothered by his yelps, hoops, and hiccups, and his seeming infatuation with his own crotch (incessantly grabbing it)? :scratch: I found him annoying.

srb

« Reply #25 on: 27 Jun 2009, 12:14 am »
No one else bothered by his yelps, hoops, and hiccups, and his seeming infatuation with his own crotch (incessantly grabbing it)? :scratch: I found him annoying.

I found him quite annoying also.

Then, later in time, found him quite bizzare and repulsive (to me, but hey, no one was putting a gun to my head to buy his records).

But then he crossed the line with his love of young boys.  Even after he bought off several pedophile lawsuits with millions of dollars, he had the audacity to participate in a documentary and proudly proclaim that sharing a bed with young children (not his own) was "the most beautiful and loving thing you can do".

I wonder what they'll say about O.J. Simpson when he dies?

Steve

hotroady

« Reply #26 on: 27 Jun 2009, 12:32 am »
just eat it

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #27 on: 27 Jun 2009, 03:38 am »
Can't please all the people all the time. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #28 on: 27 Jun 2009, 03:52 am »
just eat it
Touche.  Good show.  I think Quincy Jones is responsible for Thriller.  And MJ had a main songwriter during this period, I believe.  His on stage acrobatics may not have been all his.  I read where Britney Spears has used a guy that choreographed for Jackson.  But that energy he exuded, stage presence and voice were his and were spectacular.  He thrilled a lot of kids. 

mcrespo71

« Reply #29 on: 28 Jun 2009, 03:15 pm »
I always enjoyed his music, but was sad to see him deteriorate into his own world over the past 20 years or see.  At this point, I'll focus on the positive and how his music touched many, including myself.

PhilNYC

« Reply #30 on: 28 Jun 2009, 03:25 pm »
just eat it
Touche.  Good show.  I think Quincy Jones is responsible for Thriller.  And MJ had a main songwriter during this period, I believe.  His on stage acrobatics may not have been all his.  I read where Britney Spears has used a guy that choreographed for Jackson.  But that energy he exuded, stage presence and voice were his and were spectacular.  He thrilled a lot of kids.

Jones and Jackson met while both worked on the movie version of The Wiz, and Jackson asked Jones if he would with him.  Quincy agreed and produced Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad...3 of Jackson's most successful albums. 

I'm pretty sure Britney Spears used Janet Jackson's former choreographer, not Michael's.  Michael did have a choreographer for his videos and shows (the guy was actually in the Beat It video as one of the two main knife-fight guys), but Jackson was defnitely responsible for creating his unique style.

Why do I know all of this...? :scratch:

mcgsxr

« Reply #31 on: 28 Jun 2009, 03:43 pm »
I can understand the difficulties people have with his character (I share those, I troubled by the issues with children etc), but there are tunes of his that I absolutely love.

From his early days (ABC 123), through the still early days (Starting Something, I am the One, Thriller) there is some fun music there.

The later stuff just did not resonate with me, but there are tunes of his that I will continue to enjoy.

rave959

« Reply #32 on: 28 Jun 2009, 04:15 pm »
I always enjoyed his music, but was sad to see him deteriorate into his own world over the past 20 years or see.  At this point, I'll focus on the positive and how his music touched many, including myself.

x2
Nicely said! 
 :thumb:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #33 on: 29 Jun 2009, 12:00 am »
Bruce Swedien, who recorded Thriller had this to say:
"Michael was, in my estimation, the greatest musical talent I have ever worked with," engineer/producer Bruce Swedien told Pro Sound News. "And I have recorded all the major artists over the years. Michael was in a class by himself."

In addition to recording and/or mixing many of Jackson's albums including Thriller, Bad, Dangerous and Invincible, Swedien has worked with legends including Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Nat King Cole, Sarah Vaughn, Dinah Washington, Quincy Jones, Muddy Waters, Paul McCartney, B.B. King, George Benson and John Lee Hooker.