somewhat overlooked artists?

1000a

somewhat overlooked artists?
« on: 5 Jun 2007, 10:30 pm »
anybody ever listened to or listening to any of these substantial talents:  :drool:

Steve Forbert
Shelby Lynne
Paul Weller (ridiculous covers allot of ground; blues rock, pop all excellent)
John Wesley Harding
Ian Mathews
Terrence Boylan
Ryan Adams
Trift Merritt
Pete Yorn

For really rare, anybody have the LP: Fanny Adams (their first & only)
much more known:  Haircut 100 (their first & only)

Atomic Rooster, Captian Beyond, Soft Machine, Tranquility to name a few older bands 60s70s

nathanm

Re: somewhat overlooked artists?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2007, 11:48 pm »
Didn't Atomic Rooster have a "hit" song of some kind? There's that creepy tune about the airplane crash but I can't remember if that is Atomic Rooster or not.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2007, 11:51 pm »
Steve Forbert
Shelby Lynne
Paul Weller (ridiculous covers allot of ground; blues rock, pop all excellent)
John Wesley Harding
Ian Mathews
Terrence Boylan
Ryan Adams
Trift Merritt
Pete Yorn
Atomic Rooster, Captian Beyond, Soft Machine, Tranquility to name a few older bands 60s70s

I haven't heard of any of them but Pete Yorn and Ryan Adams....but I am not sure Ryan Adams is underappreciated or overlooked.  I think he is a fairly big hit in his respective genre.  His relatively recent release, Cold Roses is a fantastic release!!

ohenry

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jun 2007, 11:54 pm »
Didn't Atomic Rooster have a "hit" song of some kind? There's that creepy tune about the airplane crash but I can't remember if that is Atomic Rooster or not.

Are you thinking of Bloodrock's "DOA"?  That was a creepy song for sure.

Papajin

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2007, 12:01 am »
I have, like, and occasionally listen to Shelby Lynne: Identity Crisis.  It's quite good.  Very good sound quality as well.  I'd certainly recommend it for anyone that likes the type of music.

I also recognize the name Paul Weller as well, but had to look it up to see from where... The Jam and The Style Council... That explains it.  I have vinyl or cd's of both of his earlier bands.

1000a

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2007, 03:30 am »
I just got my only Style Counsel CD, Confessions of a pop group today and Weller's first solo CD I believe post Style Counsel yesterday.  Whats really strange is a guitar buddy of mine was trying to get me to listen to him a few years back, it was all blues stuff which I like but I had no clue he was behind SC, worlds apart in genres.  and he is really good at both :scratch:  worth a amazon check, I'll see if I can find some links on these artists.

Bloodrock: DOA now that was a twisted one, I was young and thought that thing was too cool but a lot creepy.

Yeah Ryan Adams is pretty well know I just got Cold Roes awhile back really grows on me.   :D I saw  :D Trift Merritt on Austin City Limits the same time as Adams she was incredible live, kinda like a cross between Janis Joplin and I am not shure but maybe Bonnie Rait, Emmylou Harris.

:D :D Shelby Lynne is a really interesting artist can't really pin her down genre wize, pretty headstrong.  Her latest 2 I know of are: Identity Crisis and Suit Yourself they are both roots and excellent, soundwize also.  If you really like Identity you should love Suit Yourself I think its stronger.  The 2 prior to these were called I am Shelby and Love Shelby both have more of a pop feel but still that sultry soulful vocal. All 4 of these are her best IMHO.

Prior to these there must be maybe 6 that have a much more pure country thing going, not my cup of tea but are scattered with some other really good stuff IMO.  She evidently came out of the Nashville seen but has been hard to "Market" you know those guys cause shes a little all over the map.  Fine with me I don't like my music artists being marketed and pushed narrowly I think its really unfair to them and many times labels are brutal in their controll of the artists music, a real shame.

:D :D :D Another somewhat unknown band in the finest bar band tradition is Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, this guy's got one soulful soulful voice for a white traditional R&B singer or any for that matter.  Look for the vinyl, can't vouch for Cd's the only one I have has a 4'; soundstage flat as a pancake. I have the vinyl and am starting my search for good Cd's of them. Can't fail with the first 3 LPs great stuff, horn and guitar driven.  some of the early stuff is written by Springsteen and Van Zant.  John Lyon (southside is a walking encyclopedia of American blues, especially R&B and occasionally does covers of master pieces that fry my brain, Tom Waits "New Coat of Paint " comes to mind.

I have found a source for the first 3 Cd's remastered,  http://www.bgo-records.com

they also have a nice but small selection running the gamut style wise of Cd's that are great but have been given lack luster treatment or attention by the major labels, it seems they were 10 euro dollars.

:scratch: can't vouch for quality yet but will know soon, but worth a look + they have a mailing list.  God save the good music ruined by the dolts in record land!   :evil:

Hi George,
All BGO Titles are RE-Mastered.
Regards,
Andy

rave959

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2007, 03:37 am »
I used to listen to the Style Council back then.  I used to love "You're The Best Thing".  A song that kinda belongs to the likes of Matt Bianco and Everything But The Girl - my New Wave days.  Jazzy and yet kind catchy pop.

I don't mean to alter your thread or what-not, but anybody listen to Indie (Interpol and such) or New Wave here in the NYC area?

Cheers and thanks,
Ian

1000a

« Reply #7 on: 6 Jun 2007, 03:46 am »
:D no let it rip (to much wires not enough music talk- too much good stuff never gets heard), I enjoy the kinda English pop stuff for lack of better description just never have bought much of it, doing catch up on that.  evidently Weller is super well known and respected over there for all his various output and kinda unknown here.   the blues stuff is also excellent.  Now don't tell Greg Allman to do pop or I'll croak.  :bomb:

Funny I am such a dinosaur, seen alternative, progressive change its meaning 2-3 times and so on I just throw it all in rock, country, blues, jazz, classical, folk or other on my SB categories.  It frustrates me this weeks genre can be next years rock.  Talk about a genre jumper Joe Jackson now he is everywhere. Alt country, country rock (ie Poco, buffalo springfield and so on), Progressive, progressive rock, alternative, rock, rock and roll, rockabilly (there is a whole very edgy spin off of this cat. with a punk feel raggedy roots feel sorta like Chris Whitley but not really like Whitley), ska (was English beat ska or pre-ska, roots music, retro garage, grunge, metal, speed metal, (I guess it was heavy metal was for me Deep Purple, Sabbith, Blue Oyster Cult and Uriah Heep) blues, blues rock, singer songwriter, pop psychedelia, pop rock, cross genre, I've got a new category for some of the stuff the major labels push; Suck-o-Rama.

Sorry I do have a cynic I try to cage.  I am so frackin old now I remember new wave as some Joe Jackson stuff, spinning off of punk and punk rock, after the years go speeding by I have forgotten.
I do not mean harm I am just trying to be funny, we get old scary fast.  Or it could just be my iqnorance of keeping abraest of ever changing stuff.  Wheres my friggin ensure :lol:
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2007, 04:13 am by 1000a »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jun 2007, 04:04 am »
I loved Iain Mathews back in the early Seventies with his "if You Saw Thru My Eyes" and "Tigers Will Survive" and "Plainsong" albums.  Classic.  Da Do Ron Ron and I'll Fly Away were early audiophile faves before there were audiphiles.

I saw Atomic Rooster at the Akron Civic Theater, probably 1971 or 1972.  That same week I saw Audience there (remember "indian Summer" "House on the Hill"?).

An overlooked fave of mine from the Seventies is Head Hands and Feet.  Produced by Eddie Offord, it was an Albert Lee/Tony Coulton/Chas Hodges group that combined some tight Brit rock sounds with almost a country/blues flavor.  Their "Tracks" album is great.  Albert Lee is incredible here.

My new "overlooked" artist fave is Spoon.  Found them through the Stranger Than Fiction movie, and love their stuff. 
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2007, 04:30 am by ted_b »

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jun 2007, 04:24 am »
Paul Weller... very prolific but not a fan of the bluesy stuff he's been churning out. Just bought his cd the other day and I can say with certainty that I'll never listen to it again. Shame, cuz I'm a huge fan of the Jam and the Style Council.

Funny that New Wave was brought up. I've been on a big New Wave buying binge as of late. Just picked up all of Heaven 17's remastered cd's, Pete Shelley, Missing Persons, Ultravox, Cabaret Voltaire, Art Of Noise, Gary Numan and few others. Makes me want to go to my 20yr high school reunion. Like, totally.

1000a

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jun 2007, 04:27 am »
Mathews Stealin Home is the one I have very good, but I lost touch with his stuff.  Now Steve Forbert is really a must be heard guy, laid to waist by the record industry for about 6 yrs. a real gem, incredible song writer (think springsteen, sting, suzanne vega, dylan definitely dylan I mean this guy is superb,  Cd's sound very good - much to my surprise. Got his earliest vinyl catching up on recent years now on CD, the Geffen years covers his first 2 Lps after rec. comp fiasco.  Albert Lee now he's a guitar players player.  like the poorly marketed genus, Danny Gatton.  :drool:  OK memory lane gets me a cold pizza, I got so excited.

All music welcomed here to be disscussed too much good stuff dies on the vine, and I can get trapped in my own sometimes limited taste,  

1000a

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2007, 04:32 am »
if I want blues I usually start with all the guys named King first particulary Albert.  I must admit my buddies push for wellers blues yeilded no purchases, but I am thrilled I have rediscovered and discovered this great artists pop stuff.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #12 on: 6 Jun 2007, 04:40 am »

Atomic Rooster..."Death Walks Behind You"...1970. Still have this Lp...had a friend pick it up for me when he was in England back in 1970. And I have it on Cd as well..... :wink:

Great cover....good music... aa

Paul Weller....The Jam.... :rock:

1000a

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2007, 04:45 am »
how is the sound quality on the CD?

they were a cool band, I can not remember the title I had unfortunitly on cassette, will amazon it.  Now if you listened to them you probably stumbled into Bloodwin Pig?
Obvoiously I must also go back some and check out the jam I missed that to.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2007, 04:53 am »
they were a cool band, I can not remember the title I had unfortunitly on cassette, will amazon it.  Now if you listened to them you probably stumbled into Bloodwin Pig?
I stumbled into everybody.... :lol:
Bloodwyn Pig....Ian Dury....String Driven Thing.....Nick Lowe....Wreckless Eric....Coliseum....Dr. Feelgood.....Dave Edmunds....Brinsley Schwarz....etc.....

1000a

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2007, 05:13 am »
Bloodwin Pig, cool- need to get Scott Faller in here I know hes an encyclopedia of music.   Yeah stumbled is right, I do remember passing out and missing a whole friggin CS&Y show what a waist-o, dam shame. did have the good fortune to see them with Neil years before with Elvin Bishop and Jessie Colin Young.  Nick Lowe and Edmonds yep.  New York Rock and Soul Revue with Becker, Fagen and friends is a really nice listen R&B and Dan stuff at the Beacon Theatre.  Threads like these are fun cause I will come back and start checking out the bands people mention that I have not heard yet, make some new purchases.

OK, Root Boy Slim? with titles like My Inflatable Doll  :rotflmao:,  Mrs Paul, very funny lyrics with a great R&B band from northern Rt. corner of US don't know if he made it to CD, passed away.  Jim Carol Band was another good band.  Strange 23 users and like 76 guests on right now, come on guys and gals jump in its fun and we are friendly.  I joined posted twice, lurked a year or so or more, we really do need some more people to think tank and chat with its fun and you will make your tunes sound much better without spending a furtune.  :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2007, 05:32 am »
Jim Carol Band was another good band.
Poet and....junkie... :nono:

Television....XTC....Undertones....Buzz cocks....The Smiths....The Feelies...Camper Van Beethoven....Thin Lizzy....Pat Travers....UFO....MC5....Free......Moun tain....Montrose....Cactus....Tommy Bolin...The Pretty Things....Savoy Brown....Ten Years After.....Elephant's Memory...Genya Ravan and Ten Wheel Drive....Al Kooper.....The Young Rascals....Blues Project..... :thumb:

1000a

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jun 2007, 06:03 am »
yes i forgot those dam torchered souls the artists, Plato had it in for em all along.

Kim S.

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jun 2007, 10:14 am »
I liked Paul Weller in the Jam and Style Council and also think his current work is excellent.  One artist that I really like is Nick Lowe.  His latest release (which is a couple of years old) The Convincer is great.  Their are alot of artist you don't hear alot about that I like.  A partial list: John Prine, Morrissey, Tim Finn (Neil Finns older brother), Dave Davies and Ray Davies, Lloyd Cole, and Steve Forbert.

Scott F.

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jun 2007, 12:13 pm »
Bloodwin Pig, cool- need to get Scott Faller in here I know hes an encyclopedia of music.   Yeah stumbled is right, I do

I was going to jump in on the last page but I couldn't decide on just a "few" to pick. Man, there are so many great bands out there.

Tell you what, Chris' (wolfy) collect runs deeper than mine I think. He's posted a ton of old R&R that was great. Heres just a few that I'd add to the list. These guys put out several albums of good music (relatively speaking) as opposed to the "one hit wonders" of the 60's and 70's. Most of these guys (and girls) didn't get much airplay back then.

Triumvirat ... (Rod) Argent ... Brian Auger ... Budgie ... Battdorf and Rodney ... Cheryl Dilcher ... Les Dudek ... Dust ... Rory Gallagher ... Icehouse ... Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush ... Michael Martin Murphy (I'm going to see him next week) .... Pavlov's Dog ... Rare Bird ... Gypsy ... Renaissance ... Spirit ... the Strawbs ... Status Quo ... Trapeze ... Sea Level ... Wet Willie ... Wishbone Ash ... Uriah Heep ... Erik Johnson ... Level 42 ... Lucifer's Friend (Banquet album)... Oingo Boingo ...

If I were to post the one (or two) hit wonders, boy, that would be a really long list  :D I wish we had a file upload area. If we did, I would upload my Obscure Vinyl Database (in XLS format).

Heres a couple of modern artists that are really good but you don't hear much about.

Allison Moorer ... Beth Waters ... Blue Six ... Chalk Farm ... Esbjorn Svensson Trio ...Indigenous ... John Gorka ... Keb Mo ... Lucy Kaplansky ... Mad at Gravity ... Mark Selby ... Rachelle Farrell ... Robben Ford ... Shane Nicholson ... Tonic ... Weekend Players ... Zero 7 ...