Ronins in the House

Tubes 4 Ever

Ronins in the House
« on: 21 Dec 2006, 01:36 am »
Got the Road Trip Ronins at my place today. I look forward to posting my impressions. But I will tell everyone from day one, these are some beautiful speakers  :drool:, a real work of art. The build quality is fantastic, my only regret will be putting them back in the boxes  :duh:
Tim

PaulHilgeman

Re: Ronins in the House
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2006, 03:45 pm »
Thanks for the post Tim.

I am ashamed to admit that those are the worst looking things that have come out of my shop yet.  Thats why they are continuously subject to the evils known as FedEx, DHL and UPS. 

There are a few 'mistakes' on them, and when I had them back for a few days last week, it appears that 5000 miles on the road in the cases has 'scuffed' the finish a bit.  I didn't have time to disassemble and buff them out again, but the finish should be glossier than that.

Acoustically however, they are perfect, as I took a listen when I had them back.  I also added a contour switch that leaves the treble where I designed it and then has two steps of very subtle reduction for those with brighter rooms or systems. 

Keep us posted on the progress and listening experience.

Have a good one,
Paul

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2006, 03:47 pm »
Oh, and thanks for the 'work of art' comment.

Trust me, it is REALLY hard to design speakers that use open baffle midranges that look good.

A testament to that is my utter frustration with the Sentinel design.  It got trashed and re-designed, pictures soon!  I think it actually looks pretty good now, but is a departure from the Ronin looks-wise, as for a stand-mount, I think that was holding it back a bit, as there was new territory to explore.

-Paul

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2006, 04:11 pm »
Paul,

Glad to hear they're back on the road.  Hopefully the issue I had was minor to deal with. 

I have to say after seeing these at my house that they sure didn't look like "beaters" to me - still very beautiful after all those miles.

Tom

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2006, 04:28 pm »
When inductors weigh 5 lbs, and the shippers are probably dropping things from a foot or more off the ground the force exerted on the attachment method is HUGE.

Do you want them next?  It is a short trip back to you before they head off to the west coast.

-Paul

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2006, 05:24 pm »
They are welcome at my house any time.  They really spruce up the place.  Just let me know.  Tom

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2006, 06:17 pm »
I see you are sticking with the Sonic Euphoria.

How are you liking it?

-Paul

Occam

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2006, 06:36 pm »
Tom - and those Bels monoblocked ain't too shoddy either. The Bels are one of the few amps I've head that improve when monoblocked. Which version 1001s?
Although I'm overjoyed with my present amplification, an Aspen LifeForce 100, it sure would have been simpler if I'd just coughed up the cash for the Bel 18yrs ago. I'd imagine the Bels will drive the dipoles wonderfully; when they drove my Alons it was quite magical. A well implemented dipole mid speaker shines with great amplification.

Sorry for the OT,
Paul

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2006, 06:52 pm »
I don't care at all.  This whole forums is dedicated to enjoying music and your post falls into that category.

-Paul

RoadTripper

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2006, 10:00 pm »
What is the efficiency rating on the Ronin? I must be missing something 'cause I can't find it. Thanks.

PaulHilgeman

« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2006, 10:34 pm »
Sorry, I don't know why, but it got lost when I updated the website.  I will re-add it with the next update.  They are 87.5dB / 1W.

-Paul

TomS

« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2006, 10:36 pm »
Paul,

I do love these BEL's.  I also have Joule VZN100 OTL's if I have the hankerin' for tubes on the Ronins.   This is the second time I have owned the BEL and they are staying.  Right now I actually have a MK II and a MK III, as I was thinking about getting a third for a run at the Orions (on hold).  They are on the upgrade queue for MK V's, which takes months.  I don't like to rave about the BEL's too much and you'll notice most owners do not, mainly because they are scarce enough and nobody wants to create too much buzz on them.  I first heard them as mono's on Vandy 5A's and was shocked at the time at how good it sounded.  Then we tried a pair of MG3.6's which are notoriously power hungry too, with great results.  Elegantly simple design, yeoman parts, but a magic transformer of some sort that makes it all work.  I have no idea why they sound so much better as mono's, but they indeed do exactly that.

Tom

Tubes 4 Ever

« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2006, 12:32 am »
Hey all;
I hope as my time with the Ronins goes forward i can write some observations that make sense to most here. I am not an engineer or professional just a old dude that like good sound. Thusfar I can say "wonderful". I am not a bass loving window shaking lover, so some of my observations and music selection will be noticeably void of bass notes. But they will not be forgotten. I gave the Ronins my ultimate bass test with a round of Orbital Blue Album and they handled it very well. If you are not familiar with this album, get it, a real good test for bottom end. And I also have listened to my season favorite White Christmas Bing Crosby, ole Bing never sounded so good. In a day or two I will post what gear I am using and the details. I look forward to helping Paul sell a couple pairs  :D .
Tim

TomS

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jan 2007, 08:26 pm »
Just a couple of pix from the Ronin demo tour's stop at my house.  Others in my gallery.  Thanks Paul!