One listening location.

And another

Speakers that were compared to.

-Paul Hilgeman

PaulHilgeman

Re: Nomad Audio : Ronins in Oklahoma *pics*
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2006, 08:41 pm »
And some comments from Carl V:

"There were quite a few designs with a Wave guide, Coaxial drivers & open Baffles (dipole)...or combinations.  Auditory memory is not infallible & show conditions are very unique...but nonetheless your Ronin design held up well.

First of all it should come as no surprise to you, but the Ronin's are darned good.  The 8" midrange has impact & dynamics. Whereas some 150mm drivers are "OK' but do not have the midrange presence or dynamics.  The SEAS design is top notch, distortion artifacts or lack thereof are superior to some of the other drivers.  Tweeters seem to have a good deal of influence on the tone & musical harmonics.  I can't recall which soft dome you choose to utilize (vifa) but from Founteks, BG neo3PDR, Compression drivers, AC ribbons et. al., they all have a sound characteristic.  I heard an open baffle desing MTM with 150mm Accuton flanking a Neo3 Open backed & augmented with a W22E sealed woofer.  It was great from 70Hz on up...maybe 60 Hz.  But it was not even close to your 10" driver or Rick's 10" Aurosound...obviously.  Nor do 4 150mm midwoofers compare.

So in closing thanks for letting me audition the Ronins.
Everyone who heard them thought they were world class.
They liked the smaller footprint.  They really liked the Detail & resolution.  Dynamics & Impact were great.  They were Room Friendly.
I'd like them to be raised up for 42-45" ear height.  I'd like
darker wood...& perhaps a different grain pattern/specie."

Thanks for the comments, As to the tweeter, it also is a Seas design, but I modify and hand assemble each coax driver myself.

Veneered speakers coming soon!!  It will still be bamboo underneath.

-Paul Hilgeman