Gain Issues with Odyssee

Chazz

Gain Issues with Odyssee
« on: 16 Feb 2003, 04:44 pm »
Hi,

I have Odyssey monoblocks and I am trying to mate it with a tube-pre (Consonance Reference 1.1).  

The problem I am having is that:

a)  The noise floor is too high.  I can here a hiss when I put my ears to the speakers and just hear it when I am in my listening position

b)  The gain is too high.  My pre has a stepped attenuator and I find that at the second notch the sound is too low whilst at the third notch the sound is too high.

I've replaced the Consonance with an FT-LW1 and I get no hiss but still the gain is high (around the 9'oclock mark- athough with the volume pot of the LW1,which is not stepped,it is more easier to control the volume.)

My DAC is the smART DIO which according to Wayne has its voltage reduced to around 2.5V.

My proposed solution is getting the Rothwell Inline attenuators and putting it between the pre and the power amp.  

Is this a viable solution that other Odyssey owners have tried.  Any other suggested oslutions?  

Thanks is advance  :mrgreen:

Chazz

Marbles

Gain Issues with Odyssee
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2003, 05:03 pm »
Tube equipment has a higher noise floor than Solid state.

The problem isn't gain on the Stratos, but too large of gains between steps on your pre-amps.

Try to find a pre-amp with smaller gains between steps.

markC

Gain Issues with Odyssee
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2003, 05:28 pm »
If another pre-amp is a thought, check out the ztpre from decware. It has gain settings,(low/high gain). It is a tube pre and I have no problem with gain on the low/normal setting mated with my odyssey stratos. Comfortable listening levels are generally between 10 and 1 o'clock on the stepped attenuators.

Mathew_M

Gain Issues with Odyssee
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2003, 06:04 pm »
Chazz,

I have a similar problem with an Audible Illusions pre and a pair of LeAmps.  Stepped Attenuators are inherently a pain in the ass IMO.  However they do supposedly offer superior sound quality.  I've sort of solved my problem with a pair of voltage split cables that a friend made up for me.  But I decided I didn't care for the sound characteristics that they were imparting me so I switched back to the reg. cables.  I've gotten used to it though.  I listen to a lot of vinyl and have more range with the phono section.  If you want to go the voltage divided cable route, Bolder cable might be able to help you out.  My friend used some cheap wiring to make my cables which might be the problem.  Another solution offered here in my thread:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=1085
is to change the resistors in the stepped attenuator.

My theory was disputed here but I do think amp impedances might have something to do with limited volume control and high gain issues.  Both the LeAmps and  Odyssey have fairly low impedances.  I was doing research on a new amp purchase and found that amps with higher impedances (45k-125 ohms) usually gave the pre more breathing room.  Mind you this conclusion is hypothetical and I have no empirical exp. to back it up.

audiojerry

Gain Issues with Odyssee
« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2003, 07:54 pm »
Chazz, check with Klaus. There may be some dip switches inside the amp that allow you to change the gain of the amp.

cjr888

Gain Issues with Odyssee
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2003, 01:31 am »
Sounds odd -- what speakers are you using with them?

Reason I ask is that you said you still have too much gain with the FW?  Isn't that a passive?

Chazz

Gain Issues with Odyssee
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2003, 01:01 pm »
Hi Thanks for all the replies.

My speakers are Nautilus 805s so they're about average in terms of efficiency.

Yes, the FT Audio LW-1 is a passive but even with that I don't go past the 9 O'clock mark before it gets too loud.

Mind you I have a small room so that's a contributing factor but I really like the sound of my pre so I want to try to keep it.

I hope to order some of those Rothwell attenuators and see if they can help.  The reviews I've read about them say that they haven't noticed any change in sound quality with them.

Cheers
Chazz