Schiit audio

Charles Calkins

Schiit audio
« on: 5 Feb 2019, 07:37 pm »

Hi Guys:
           Anybody know anything about Schiit audio?
           I just ran across them this morning. They are based in SoCal.

Cheers
                                              Charlie

ricmon

Re: Schiit audio
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2019, 07:58 pm »
That's funny.....  Everyone on here has heard of Schiit Audio  :lol:

walkern

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2019, 08:04 pm »
Their manufacturing location is 15 minutes from my place here in the L.A. suburbs, and their listening room is even closer.  I've got a Schiit Bifrost Multi DAC that I dearly love.  For a good laugh read the history of the company on their website.  The owners really are amusing, and put together high quality gear at very affordable prices.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2019, 08:23 pm »
Their manufacturing location is 15 minutes from my place here in the L.A. suburbs, and their listening room is even closer.  I've got a Schiit Bifrost Multi DAC that I dearly love.  For a good laugh read the history of the company on their website.  The owners really are amusing, and put together high quality gear at very affordable prices.

I see that on their website they sell low priced preamps. Are they good or okay or lousy?

Charlie

ricmon

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2019, 08:27 pm »
I think most folks would designate them hi-fidelity but not hi-end.  That is you get all the great sound without the cost of "hi-end".

hope that helps
Ric

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #5 on: 5 Feb 2019, 08:34 pm »
I have the Saga preamp and really like it for its performance and simplicity. Changing or rolling the 6sn7 makes a subtle but noticeable difference. Not sure how much I'd have to spend to do better.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 5 Feb 2019, 08:38 pm »
That's funny.....  Everyone on here has heard of Schiit Audio  :lol:
I also hear talk of Schiit Audio.

artur9

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2019, 11:47 pm »
I have a Schiit Bifrost Uber, a Gungnir MultiBit (Gumby) and a Fulla 3.  I also used to have a Magni 2 and a Wyrd.  The sound of their stuff I like.

The customer service has always been very very good.  A few weeks ago the knob of the Fulla broke off.  I sent them a picture, they said "Oh, wow!" and sent me an RMA.  Similarly when I chose to upgrade the Bifrost from the base model to an Uber.

I sold the Magni and Wyrd because I did not need them anymore.  The buyers were delighted.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #8 on: 5 Feb 2019, 11:56 pm »
I've got the Schiit Mjolnir2 headphone amp/pre. It's got both XLR/SE inputs/outputs as well as balanced HP jacks. I use it for my HP's or as a pre for listening to music from my laptop. Very satisfied.

Gene

mick wolfe

« Reply #9 on: 6 Feb 2019, 12:44 am »
I have the Saga preamp and really like it for its performance and simplicity. Changing or rolling the 6sn7 makes a subtle but noticeable difference. Not sure how much I'd have to spend to do better.

Same here on the Saga for the reasons you've already mentioned. Plus I've got 19 ANOS 6SN7's waiting in the wings to roll. Recently added the Loki as well... basically to make some of my poorer recordings a bit more listenable.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 6 Feb 2019, 12:55 pm »
Tried Gungnir Multi-Bit and Freya but sent them back.  Added very nice NOS tubes for the Freya.  Compared to a $900 DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core the pair made 10% of my library (the best recordings) sound better but 30% (the poorest recordings) sound worse - not worth the $2200 total invested.  So paid the return shipping and restocking fees.  Now have PS Audio DirectStream Junior (paid $2600) with and everything sounds better with no tube hassle (note one of those expensive tubes blew during the audition period - have never had good experiences with tubes).  Also note that Gungnir is hardware upgradable and DirectStream Junior is firmware upgradable. 

For what it's worth, if you look at audiosciencereview.com you'll find that the Schiit DACs measure particularly poorly.  That said, there's much to like about Schiit gear and the company.  But keep in mind that they will probably never do DSD or MQA.

MttBsh

« Reply #11 on: 6 Feb 2019, 05:10 pm »
Tried Gungnir Multi-Bit and Freya but sent them back.  Added very nice NOS tubes for the Freya.  Compared to a $900 DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core the pair made 10% of my library (the best recordings) sound better but 30% (the poorest recordings) sound worse - not worth the $2200 total invested.  So paid the return shipping and restocking fees.  Now have PS Audio DirectStream Junior (paid $2600) with and everything sounds better with no tube hassle (note one of those expensive tubes blew during the audition period - have never had good experiences with tubes).  Also note that Gungnir is hardware upgradable and DirectStream Junior is firmware upgradable. 

For what it's worth, if you look at audiosciencereview.com you'll find that the Schiit DACs measure particularly poorly.  That said, there's much to like about Schiit gear and the company.  But keep in mind that they will probably never do DSD or MQA.

I've owned a number of good quality DACs over the years and the Schiit Yggdrasil is stunning in comparison to them all. Many reviews acknowledge that the Yggy is one of the best DACs you can buy at any price. I know this thread is not about Schiit DACs but since it's been stated that they measure "particularly poorly" I wanted to state that in actual listening they perform "particularly well".

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2019, 05:25 pm »
I sold the Mimby I had after a few weeks. I wasn't until much more recently that I saw any measurements of it.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #13 on: 6 Feb 2019, 05:38 pm »
Same here on the Saga for the reasons you've already mentioned. Plus I've got 19 ANOS 6SN7's waiting in the wings to roll. Recently added the Loki as well... basically to make some of my poorer recordings a bit more listenable.

Hi Mick,
Any thoughts to share on the Loki? Does it do what you thought it would do?
Cheers,
Lester

Samoyed

« Reply #14 on: 6 Feb 2019, 05:40 pm »
Nib Loki mini if interested. I’m in Seattle.

ajzepp

« Reply #15 on: 14 Feb 2019, 06:17 am »
I recently picked up a Saga to play around with, as I found out it can be used in an HT bypass configuration. For the price, it's quite nice.

MttBsh

« Reply #16 on: 14 Feb 2019, 07:50 am »
Damned by faint praise....

yardbird

« Reply #17 on: 14 Feb 2019, 12:29 pm »
I currently have the Freya, Mimby and Eitr. I have been very happy. i preferred the Mimby/Eitr over the Wadia 121 that I had before. The Wadia is also a pre and a HP amp so not apples to apples, but there is a wide margin in cost ($400 vs $1200). I have been happy with the Freya. I needed more  gain than the Saga would provide. Upgraded 2 of the tubes for a decent upgrade. Not sure of other balanced, tube, remote-controlled preamps for this price point. FWIW, I'm using with a DIY Pass F6. I am a happy customer and would consider more. i suspect the Vidar is nice for the price. Some reviews have liked the Saga more than the Freya. Do you need the extra gain or balanced config? Not sure about the Eitr. i probably need to take it out and listen a bit. I am using a win 10 PC USB out so I suspect it helps.
Jeff

mick wolfe

« Reply #18 on: 14 Feb 2019, 05:35 pm »
Hi Mick,
Any thoughts to share on the Loki? Does it do what you thought it would do?
Cheers,
Lester

Sorry for the late response. Just discovered it. Yes, a perfect solution for me in my HT/casual set-up. Open architecture floorplan, so there's only so much I could do with room treatments. Perfect for trimming the bass a bit with my Zu DW's or trimming the highs/upper mids a bit with my JBL Studio 580's. A great addition without a doubt. Use it between my Saga and Latino ST70. If you have an integrated, will probably have to add a Schitt SYS and additional IC's of course.

Twinsfan85

« Reply #19 on: 25 Feb 2019, 01:41 am »
LOL. I thought everyone knew about Schiit. :D. I currently have a mimby and a moljnir and am very happy.