Newbie A/VO build

DeShongh

Newbie A/VO build
« on: 10 Jun 2020, 09:24 pm »
Hello everyone. I came across Danny’s YouTube channel a few months ago and now I’m making the plunge. I just received my A/VO kit with all the upgrades but I have a couple questions and would love to see an example of the components mounted in a sensible layout. Also, I am unsure what part (a where) to get for the speaker connection cutout. The plans show a 3” opening with a larger 4.125” ring recessed .165”. Thanks for the guidance.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Newbie A/VO build
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2020, 01:37 am »
If the upgrades included tube connectors, it probably eliminated the binding post cup that utilizes the holes you're describing. If no tube connectors, it's typical for GR Research to include the cup. If you need one, I imagine Danny could supply the right one.

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2020, 05:50 pm »
Yeah, and like Peter  says, if the upgrades did include  tube connectors, then eliminate the  large cutout and recess, replace with  2 7/16"   holes
There is a tube connector installation  thread in the sticky's   at top of page

jay

jay

DeShongh

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2020, 12:18 am »
Thanks guys! Yeah, I have the tube connectors. I thought I would need the cutout to access the electronics but I talked to Danny and he suggested that I access from the bottom side of the speaker cabinet. So I’m good. I picked out some beautiful striped bloodwood so I’ll be sharing pictures soon!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2020, 03:50 am »
Thanks guys! Yeah, I have the tube connectors. I thought I would need the cutout to access the electronics but I talked to Danny and he suggested that I access from the bottom side of the speaker cabinet. So I’m good. I picked out some beautiful striped bloodwood so I’ll be sharing pictures soon!

That's going to be pretty.  :thumb:

IceBullit

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jun 2020, 01:18 am »
Hello,

I am also building the A/V-O right now. I wanted to share something with you to avoid some possible headache. When measuring to the center of the tweeter from the top, the measurement is 3.25 inches from the top of the speaker with the top piece installed. Originally I thought it was without the top because the top dividing line is missing in the drawing. I emailed Danny to clarify this.

DeShongh

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2020, 05:36 am »
Well I changed from blood wood to Sepele because of the nice stripes but then once I straight-lined the boards they were narrower than 7” and I could only get three sides & 6-1/4”, the fourth side was less. So I had some ebony macassar lying around and decided to run a stripe down the face and top using the narrow Sepele boards... anyway here they are!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2020, 09:44 am »
Those are looking gorgeous! I love the stripe that runs down the middle!

maty

AlexH

« Reply #9 on: 30 Jun 2020, 11:10 am »
Excellent. Nice looking build.  :thumb:

hawkeyejw

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jun 2020, 11:33 am »
Beautiful! How do they sound?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #11 on: 30 Jun 2020, 02:33 pm »
They do look really handsome.

I've never heard the AV/O, but I'm really curious since Ron at NRD called attention to them.

I may have to build a pair. The old woodworker's saying about "can't have too many clamps" seems to translate into "can't have too many speakers" for me.

fasteddieb

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jun 2020, 04:22 pm »
Wow those look great!  Any chance you could snap a few pics of your crossover? I am mid-build and need a little help with how best to arrange the crossover. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 30 Jun 2020, 05:39 pm »
They do look really handsome.

I've never heard the AV/O, but I'm really curious since Ron at NRD called attention to them.

I may have to build a pair. The old woodworker's saying about "can't have too many clamps" seems to translate into "can't have too many speakers" for me.

Peter,

I’d recommend building the X-Omni instead of the A/V-O. The X-Omni uses the same drivers as the X-LS Encore. If Danny had deep back cups, I’d recommend the O-3 as it uses the same drivers as the N3

Mike

DeShongh

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jul 2020, 10:43 pm »
Here’s a better pic of the crossover. A lot to squeeze into a small space. I liked the idea of a upward firing midrange/woofer because I heard a pair of OHM speakers, years ago and was amazed how the sound followed me around the room. These are more directional than I remember the OHM’s to be, but I believe less directional than bookshelf speakers would be. Listening to Ahmad Jamal - At the Pershing, I had the experience of the speakers disappearing and the performers sounded as if they were playing from beyond my TV wall and a bit to the left. Boston was plenty loud and the bass was outstanding but VanHalen definitely needs a subwoofer. I still haven’t made a base to attach my floorspikes too, but soon. They’re heavy speakers and not really moving anywhere as they are.