New Super 8 XRS owner

Angus2112

New Super 8 XRS owner
« on: 17 Feb 2019, 05:04 pm »
I'll be taking delivery of a pair of Super 8 XRS in Macassar Ebony next week. I'm downsizing from a vintage pair of Cornwall II's in my audio room. The room is 14ft wide and as close to the golden ratio as the physical limitations of my basement allowed. The rear (14ft) wall is stone and the other walls and corners have acoustic treatments. No windows. The Cornwalls are currently approx. 3ft from the stone wall and 18" in from the sides. They are toed in slightly toward the center. This position produces a clean well imaged stereo listening field with the Cornwalls.
Any thoughts on distances for a starting point? I actually had the 100lb Cornwalls on dolleys for a while until I finally settled on a position.
Any other Super 8 XRS owners out there? Experiences? Opinions?
How about the Nerf ball? In or out?
Thanks

peckjed

Re: New Super 8 XRS owner
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2019, 04:22 pm »
Personally, I would start with the position where your current speakers are to see how they compared and then tweak accordingly. When I had mine they liked being away from the wall a bit - mine were out a few feet. I also would definitely toe the speakers in towards your listening position. Those RS8 speakers might be my favorite of Louis current offerings!

mrvco

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2019, 07:48 pm »
The critical bit I found when setting up my Super 7 XRS mk2 speakers was toe-in.  Without enough toe-in the soundstage was huge, but lacked definition.  I ended up toeing them in radically, basically where they were crossing over well in front of my listening chair and then incrementally decreased the toe-in until everything snapped into place.

Angus2112

« Reply #3 on: 25 Feb 2019, 12:55 pm »
After lots of moving around I settled on 3ft from the rear wall and 2ft from the sides. They sounded muddy closer than this. I have them toed in slightly. The stage got more narrow and focused the more I angled them in. My media room is in the basement- so carpet, underlay over concrete. I didn't like the spikes in the carpet. Stable but almost buried. I left the spikes on and put 14" x 18" white quartz slabs under them. Bass is now tight and well defined.

Slam

« Reply #4 on: 29 Dec 2019, 12:55 pm »
How are they holding up for you?

AvsFan

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jul 2020, 08:57 pm »
How are they holding up for you?

Resurrecting this thread!

Yes! Please tell us. How are they holding up?

AvsFan

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jul 2020, 09:05 pm »
Personally, I would start with the position where your current speakers are to see how they compared and then tweak accordingly. When I had mine they liked being away from the wall a bit - mine were out a few feet. I also would definitely toe the speakers in towards your listening position. Those RS8 speakers might be my favorite of Louis current offerings!

PLEASE elaborate. I just spoke with Louis today and gave him the green light on a dual RS8 driver floorstanding speaker.
So of course I am VERY much interested in opinions on this specific driver and speaker.

seikosha

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jul 2020, 09:10 pm »
PLEASE elaborate. I just spoke with Louis today and gave him the green light on a dual RS8 driver floorstanding speaker.
So of course I am VERY much interested in opinions on this specific driver and speaker.

Ha!  Congrats.   I was surprised that you didn't get this one to begin with.  Out of all of Louis' speakers, it would've been the one I recommended to you.  The 8 inch driver sounds like a bigger 3 and throws a really nice deep wide soundstage.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #8 on: 9 Jul 2020, 09:22 pm »
OP has not been on for over a year.

AvsFan

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jul 2020, 10:36 pm »
Ha!  Congrats.   I was surprised that you didn't get this one to begin with.  Out of all of Louis' speakers, it would've been the one I recommended to you.  The 8 inch driver sounds like a bigger 3 and throws a really nice deep wide soundstage.

Hey buddy! Yeah, I think you've got to know my tastes over the years.  :D

The dual RS5 driver in monitor form is one sweet sounding speaker but it's simply not doing it for me on the large scale big soundstage and pure muscle and power front. There is an energy and a way sound fills the room that larger drivers do and small drivers do not. It's a simple matter of physics.

And I am super excited if the 8", RS8 drivers sound is similar to the 4" RS5 driver. I for sure need slam and muscle. I told Louis that I want an "audiophile" rock and roll speaker! LOL  :D
Similar to what I have with my Zu's but obviously even better, or what's the point? The ZU's can rock, but man they sound great doing it. I play all types of music and want it all to sound great. I don't want a one trick pony speaker.
Hope the dual RS8 gets me to where I want to be. I have high hopes. 

AvsFan

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jul 2020, 10:52 pm »
OP has not been on for over a year.

Well... I'll start a new thread on the dual RS8 driver speaker,  because I will have a pair in 8 weeks.