Audiocircle member RMAF 2010 show coverage.

clearsound

• Industry Participant
  • BMC, Ayon, Clearwave speakers, Acoustic Zen,W4S...
    • ClearSound Audio
Re: Audiocircle member RMAF 2010 show coverage.
« Reply #220 on: 18 Oct 2010, 09:31 pm »
Hi folks, this is some nice show coverage.  --saw a question posted on the price for the Acoustic Zen Crescendo speakers. Currently  at $14,000 msrp.   Glad you enjoyed them  :),  we have them set up here for audition as well.  --Neil

seadogs1

« Reply #221 on: 18 Oct 2010, 09:44 pm »
Sorry to say but OPPO is discontinuing the 83 and 83SE. A new model will be released but without a true stereo output. Dan will have to work his magic again.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #222 on: 18 Oct 2010, 09:45 pm »
Clearly, Big Red Machine needs to get reconstructive surgery done to his ears, so that they are shaped exactly like mine.  That way he can start to "hear right"  :P

And then I can fly :angel:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #223 on: 18 Oct 2010, 09:51 pm »
Hi Laura - Great to meet you finally and talk for a spell.  I'm thinking of asking Dan for a loaner to demo at a few NY audio club meetings.  I thought the modded OppO produced a warmer sound than his modded Sony.  I was impressed with the modded OppO in his room and in Fritzspeakers' room.
Same here Paul. I would have liked to have more time to chat. I told Peggy I would try to coordinate one of my DC trips with a Rave. I agree with your assessment of the modded Oppo in both of those rooms.

zane9

« Reply #224 on: 18 Oct 2010, 10:00 pm »
Surprisingly, I haven't seen much coverage on music servers at RMAF, yet the Discless Circle is a popular circle here.

Did any of you visit rooms with server-based music up and running? I would love to read your comments.

Thanks.

Bigfish

« Reply #225 on: 18 Oct 2010, 10:03 pm »
Surprisingly, I haven't seen much coverage on music servers at RMAF, yet the Discless Circle is a popular circle here.

Did any of you visit rooms with server-based music up and running? I would love to read your comments.

Thanks.

I also would like to read comments about server-based music and more about DACs in use at the show.

ltr317

« Reply #226 on: 18 Oct 2010, 10:04 pm »
Any opinions on the LessLoss setup (room 437) with Kasier speakers?
Thanks,
AP

Yes, full balanced sound, with just the right amount of resolution to create a musical experience rather than a Hifi experience. 

DeadFish

« Reply #227 on: 18 Oct 2010, 10:05 pm »

Thanks to everyone who took time out of their respective 'trips' to observe and report back to the lot of us.
Knowing what a busy time you have without the reports, there are a lot of us who are truly grateful.

Hoping you all had a safe trip home.  (i don't miss driving through kansas!)

Regards,
DeadFish

vinyl_lady

« Reply #228 on: 18 Oct 2010, 10:06 pm »
Unfortunately, the speakers were not broken-in before the show, so we had that to deal with.  There was a LOT that was brand new in these speakers and the crossovers, so have you actually heard these speakers before? 

We also used some Amarra EQ to deal with some room issues. It was too bright on Friday for my taste, a bit better on Saturday and cooking on Sunday.  It seems like it always happens this way when several vendors share a room.  All-in-all by Sunday it was sounding very live IMO.  Certainly best sound of any show I have done.  Capable of sounding like a large concert hall   

Its a matter of taste.  Some dont want the dynamic live sound.  Others do.  And BTW, the clarity, dynamics and low-noise was due to the electronics.  I use the same electronics at home and it sounds even better with my various speakers.  The JC-1 monoblocks are modded, not stock.  Most showgoers attribute the sound totally to the speakers, but in fact it is much more a function of the source quality and entire system.  The great dispersion and bass was a function of the speakers however.  These really didnt have any sweetspot effect and standing SQ was same as sitting.  Remarkable for this kind of speaker IMO.

My roommates wanted the sound really loud also, so that was hard to mediate.  I think some just liked it that way....

It's too bad that we didnt have tracks that satisfied everyones tastes.  When someone requests R&R, the others in the room usually clear-out.  Same thing can happen with classical.  The best thing is to request a music genre when you enter the room.  We had a large collection of good tracks, from 44.1 to 192.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

I was in the room on Sunday pm and had Steve play Jeff Beck's cover of A Day in the Life. It may have cleared out the room, but I sure enjoyed it :thumb: Although it was a little loud at times, I thought the system had good tonal balance, clarity and dynamics. Steve, it was great meeting you and talking golf as well as audio. Brian, a pleasure to meet you and Sue. Now, if I can just get you to add a turntable . . . . :eyebrows:

Laura

audioengr

« Reply #229 on: 18 Oct 2010, 10:08 pm »
The Iris room had Mac Mini and Amarra 1.2 (I like it better) until Sunday, when we changed over to the Mach 2 Mac Mini.  We are not reps or sell any of these.  We were initially skeptical as to whether changing the Mac mini to another one would make any difference, given our asyc USB interfaces.  However, once we gave it a try on Saturday after the show close, we were convinced.  The imaging was more focused.  It was not easy changing computers (Mac should be easier) at a show, but we did it and had it running all day Sunday.  Thanks to Mach 2 music:

http://www.mach2music.com

BTW, we also used the EQ functions of Amarra to do some minor tweaks, which I had never done before.  Found out that it REALLY works.  When I get home, I'm trying it on my home system.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #230 on: 18 Oct 2010, 10:10 pm »
I was in the room on Sunday pm and had Steve play Jeff Beck's cover of A Day in the Life. It may have cleared out the room, but I sure enjoyed it :thumb: Although it was a little loud at times, I thought the system had good tonal balance, clarity and dynamics. Steve, it was great meeting you and talking golf as well as audio. Brian, a pleasure to meet you and Sue. Now, if I can just get you to add a turntable . . . . :eyebrows:

Laura

Laura - a pleasure to meet you also.  Next time you are at BBR, lets get together and play golf (my wife also), maybe at the new Glaze Meadow course.

Steve N.
BBR EM2

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #231 on: 18 Oct 2010, 10:37 pm »
Did anyone see the Sonus Veritas in the Analysis Audio room?

Nuance

« Reply #232 on: 18 Oct 2010, 11:09 pm »
Which model?  No way I'm looking back for the image!  http://www.acousticzen.com/speakers.html I really liked talking with the US distributor, great guy.  I'll get the price fer ya.  They are very reasonable for the product delivered, overall quality, etc.  IIRC the stand mount is only about $3k/pr, maybe 3500.   

Thanks, they were the Crescendo; they sounded amazing!

Don_S

« Reply #233 on: 18 Oct 2010, 11:13 pm »
Thanks, they were the Crescendo; they sounded amazing!

What veneer was used on the Crescendo at the show?

themadmilkman

« Reply #234 on: 19 Oct 2010, 12:42 am »
I spent more time listening to the Omens as I thought I was buying them and at one point, I was going to be taking home the black pair in the Peachtree room.  I didn't notice the soundstage issue described by themadmilkman.  This is not a criticism of what he heard as we all perceive things different.  I have had speakers in the past that have had this issue and it would make me nuts, so I did pay attention to it while I was listening.  I also read on the Zu site that they can be adjusted to lean back to raise the sound stage so it would seem that this was a consideration when designing them and another reason not to dismiss what themadmilkman heard.

To be fair, I sat in the front row, which felt a little close, and I have an extremely long torso.  My ears were sitting pretty high.  It's nothing that aiming the speakers (I wasn't sure this would be possible with the bass loading system they use, apparently it is) or a well-designed stand wouldn't fix.  I do think I'll end up purchasing them with my tax return next year.

Since I've had a night to rest after the drive home, I guess I'll post my impressions.

Overall, I thought the sound quality in most rooms was mediocre, but I understand how hard show conditions can be to work with.  Still, it felt like a lot of the rooms were set up haphazardly, and a little bit more work would have paid off hugely.

There were a few rooms I really liked, including:

Rogue Audio w/ Revel speakers.  Very smooth and natural, at least at low volumes.  With the volume pressed the speakers seemed to overload the room and the sound would get harsh.  Still, Rogue's electronics seem to be well-designed and produced great sound.

Aperion speakers with Marantz electronics.  This room was far from excellent, but their speakers were extremely well-balanced.  No glaring errors, nothing obnoxious being thrown in your face.  I wouldn't buy them, but I would gladly recommend them to friends looking for a home theater / music speaker.

Audio Note.  Very easy to listen to with great detail.  I could have sat in this room all day.

Zu Audio.  Not perfect, but damn good for the money.

Ayre.  Not sure what speakers they were using, but it had a smooth and balanced sound.

Vandersteen & Audio Research.  Possibly the best sound of the show.  Very quiet system and very neutral.  I wish they would have played something that really pushed the Vandies and showed what they were capable of,

Benchmark.  Can't remember what speakers they were using, but it was a fun system.  It desperately needed to be placed into a smaller room, but it was fun.

Emerald Physics.  Remarkably full-bodied sound.

Triode Corp. of Japan.  Seriously beautiful gear that sounded great too.  Did I mention they look great?  Because they really do look GREAT.

Beyond that, I discovered that I still hate ribbon tweeters, Wilson has improved greatly but still isn't to my liking, and there are plenty of designers out there who still don't understand that speakers (and amps, for that matter) need to fit into a house and its accompanying decor.  5" woofers aren't sufficient to reproduce full-bodied bass (although there were a few transmission line speakers that I thought came close) and there was a larger percentage of "young people" (in this case meaning, say, 35 and younger) than I expected. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #235 on: 19 Oct 2010, 12:55 am »
...there was a larger percentage of "young people" (in this case meaning, say, 35 and younger) than I expected.

"All you pay a man to do until he's forty is make mistakes!" Horace Vendergeller (played by Walter Mathau) in Hello Dolly!

groovybassist

« Reply #236 on: 19 Oct 2010, 01:41 am »
I thought the Audio Note room sounded good as well.  Another one I forgot on my list of good sounding rooms!

Blooze

« Reply #237 on: 19 Oct 2010, 02:26 am »
Here's a few pics I was able to take for the short time I was there.  Thanks everyone for posting your pics as I'm getting to see everything I missed.  FWIW, the Emerald Physics rooms just held my attention.  I've never heard OB's sound sooooo good!!!!  I've got to try some DIY ones sometime as I could never afford the EP's.  Sanders electrostats sounded very good, almost like having headphones on, but that sweet spot is so small.  For horns I'd have to give the nod to Classic Audio.  I've heard them before and they never have  disappointed me--none of the usual beaming you hear with horns.

Anyway, here's a link to my pics as I'm not going to chew up AC bandwidth.  Just go to the slideshow to see bigger pics if you want.  Please excuse the bad pics and the fact I haven't got them labeled yet.  All I had on me was my little point 'n shoot.  Takes fabulous outdoor and macro shots, but that flash is way weak.

http://shanemoorephotography.smugmug.com/Electronics

ltr317

« Reply #238 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:36 am »
Sunday's photos and comments.  I had to leave at 1:00 pm to catch my flight, so fewer photos than the coverage of the previous two days.  As it turned out, my flight was delayed for 3 hours.  There's no justice.  The Friday and Saturday ratings of  :thumb: and  :thumb: :thumb: still apply for Sunday.

Rogue electronics and Tel cabling.  Nice organic and engaging sound.  Forgot I was listening to electronics and just focus on the music.  I only heard the system with Lps, so don't know about the cd sound.   :thumb:

Hammertone Audio, Reed Tonearm, Allnic tube electronics, Xact Audio.  The sound in this room was excellent, utilizing Lp playback.  Another room that produced natural, organic sound which made you forget about the equipment.  One of my favorites.   :thumb: :thumb:

Joseph speakers with Ayre electronics.  Jeff Joseph was debuting his little Pulsar speaker.  The Pulsar was by far my favorite small speaker at this year's show.  Its dimensions are approximately 15' h x 8.5' w x 13' d and weighs a whopping 36 lbs!  Now that's a lot of mass for the size.  Mr. Joseph played for me the Jean Guillou organ translations of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an exhibition" (Dorian recordings) which I own, and the low notes were clean and almost all there.  Very impressive bass, and very close to the bass reproduction of my AAD 2001 speakers, my reference for a small speaker.  Diane Birch's "Fire Escape" also sounded terrific on the Pulsars.  Overall, tonally the sound was fairly neutral with Ayre electronics.   If the mid-range was slightly warmer it would be the perfect sound for me.  One thumb for the system.  :thumb:  Two thumbs for the Pulsars.  :thumb: :thumb:

I think this is the High Water sound room but am not sure.  If it is, the sound was fairly engaging. 

GR Research speakers, Dodd Audio electronics, db Labs dac room.  This was the last room I visited, and it was also one of my favorites.  I played Diane Birch's "Fire Escape," and the imaging and sound staging was very good.  Good tonal balance with some harmonic richness.   :thumb:  :thumb:

The batteries in my camera crapped out sometime Saturday, so I don't have photos but have comments on the following rooms:

Analysis speakers - realistic imaging and thought the setup sounded better than last year.

AudioKinesis speakers and Neko dac room - This is an interesting room.  Duke LaJeune played a song from the Simon & Garfunkel live concert at Central Park (an event which I attended), which totally absorbed me.  I was transported back to that concert.  He played another piece of music which I didn't know and it sounded bland.  Overall, I give it a tentative thumbs up.  :thumb:

Grant Fidelity room - Good sounding equipment for reasonable cost, just like last year. 

Emerald Physics room - I thought the speakers sounded better this year than last, but it's still not my cup of tea.

Benchmark dac room - I thought the sound was pretty good, until dynamics overwhelm the small speakers Benchmark was using.   

Unfortunately, due to the 20+ additional exhibitors this year, and the fact I had to leave early on Sunday, I was only able to visit 85%-90% of the rooms.  The one room I wanted to visit but didn't was the TAD/Rockport room.  I really wanted to hear the smaller TADs, as the large TADs were one of my favorite speakers last year.  Hope they bring them next year. 

Paul Mah

p.s. If I find any more notes, I'll post them.   I'll summarize my favorites for all 3 days in a little while.

ltr317

« Reply #239 on: 19 Oct 2010, 03:40 am »
Chris - See my photo of Jeff Joseph, posing on his Pulsar speaker.  It could have been you.  :lol: