I bet I can make your speakers sound better.

maty

Re: I bet I can make your speakers sound better.
« Reply #280 on: 18 Mar 2020, 02:40 pm »
YouTube Lets fix the Kef Q100!

KEF Q100 with the mods of GR-Research, aka Danny Richie. Port closed.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-q100-speaker-review.11987/post-352936

Frequency and crossover

Impedance

Horizontal

Cumulative Spectral Decay (CSD)

maty

« Reply #281 on: 30 Mar 2020, 02:38 pm »
YouTube Modifying the JBL Studio 530 with Danny Richie! by Ron Brenay and Danny Richie

RichPark

« Reply #282 on: 19 May 2020, 12:51 am »
The male studs are available separately and are only $3.00 each. So you can add them to all your speaker cables.

Very reasonable stud fee :lol:

jcsperson

« Reply #283 on: 19 May 2020, 01:29 am »
Off topic

English is not my first or second language. Spanish and Catalan are the first.

My town: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarragona

More than two thousand years before: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarraco

Also off topic, but I've been to Barcelona and some of the wineries outside the city. Catalonia has a different feel than the rest of Spain even beyond the language.

maty

« Reply #284 on: 19 May 2020, 09:29 am »
Spain is very diverse, both in climate, geografy, gastronomy, languages, welfare state and ways of living. That is wealth, but many want to make it a problem.

The problem, as it happens with all countries, is that many remain in old stereotypes and generalize.

- End of topic -

Jairaj

« Reply #285 on: 26 May 2020, 08:08 pm »
Hi All,

I'm Jai, new member here with first post.  I've just been watching the fabulous and very interesting GR Research videos on Youtube on how to upgrade your speakers.

I have a pair of Focal Chorus 806W speakers that I'd like to upgrade using the methods described in the videos. 

Danny from previous posts I see you used to be a Focal dealer have you come across these speakers before?  I think they were a special edition using better W woofers by Focal as apposed to the V woofers used on more budget speakers.  Any pointers on improving these?

I've never done anything like this before so thought I'd try on an old pair of broken speakers first before I start pulling apart by beloved speakers.  I have a pair of old Focal Chorus 707s speakers, one woofer is damaged and makes a heavily distorted bass noise which I am using as a trail run.  I opened the speakers and noticed some good and bad things.   Good the speakers are made from thick MDF and have internal bracing bad, the wire inside is cheap quality and uses the spade connecters rather than soldered on.

Then onto the crossover circuit, as expected sand cast resistors and iron core inductors as is common for this price point.  I've mapped out the cross over circuit for the high and low circuits.  The only problem I have is figuring out what value the inductors are?  There are no markings on them at all.  The caps and resistors have values so easy enough for me to find replacements but no idea where to start with the inductors? 

I have some photos of the cross over circuitry and one of the inductors incase it helps?

Any help much appreciated, thank you,
Jai

Cross over circuit:

Fully assembled cross over circuit:

Pictures of one of the inductors:

maty

« Reply #286 on: 26 May 2020, 09:04 pm »
http://www.hifi-review.com/specs/151068-focal-jmlab-chorus-806v.html

System type   2-way
Enclosure type   Bass-reflex
Frequency response ± 3dB   55 - 28000 Hz
Nominal impedance   8 Ohm
Amplifier Requirements   20 - 80 W
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m)   90 dB
Tweeter   25 mm (1 in.) TNV inverted dome
Woofer   165 mm (6.5 in.) Polyglass cone
Dimensions (H x W x D)   390 x 222 x 293 mm / 15.35 x 8.74 x 11.54 in.
Weight   8.2 kg / 18.04 lbs.

[PDF] https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/chorus_806v-specification_sheet.pdf

The numbers are different!

Crossover frequency 2200 Hz

Jairaj

« Reply #287 on: 26 May 2020, 11:14 pm »
Hi Matty,

Those are not quite the same speakers as I have.  Mine are the 806W.  This is the spec sheet from Focal for them:
https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/chorus_806v_w-specification_sheet.pdf

But as I said I am a beginner to the modifying world so I'm going to do a practice run on my Focal Chorus 707S first.  I cannot find these speakers on the Focal website.  These are the nearest I could find, I think they use the same woofer:
https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/chorus-807-v-fp.pdf

Type:  Compacte 2 voies bass-reflex
Haut-parleurs:   Grave/médium Polyglass 180 mm
Tweeter:   inversé TNV Al/Mg 25 mm
Réponse en fréquence:   (+/- 3 dB) 50Hz-28kHz
Réponse à - 6 dB:  41 Hz
Sensibilité (2,83 V / 1 m):  92 dB
Impédance nominale:  8 ohms
Impédance minimale (@25°C):  4,2 ohms @160 Hz
Puissance max:  160 W
Puissance RMS:  110 W
Fréquence de filtrage:  3 kHz
Dimensions (HxLxP). 448x237x280mm
Poids. x10,1kg

So looks like the cross over frequency is 3000Hz.

Can I use this and plug the cross over frequency into LRC filter equations and solve the equation for inductance?

Danny Richie

« Reply #288 on: 27 May 2020, 02:40 am »
You mean you want to upgrade these?

I designed a whole new crossover and smoothed things out a bit.

They had some issues.

I have before and after measurements and everything.

Jairaj

« Reply #289 on: 27 May 2020, 11:34 am »
Hi Danny,

Thank you for replying.  hahah thats fantastic, yes the Focal 707s, those are the ones I'm going to practice on first!  Can you share some more information please? or help with the inductor values?

And even better if you also have any info and advice on modifying the Focal 806VW which is the end game for me?

many thanks, Jai

Danny Richie

« Reply #290 on: 29 May 2020, 02:50 am »
Hi Danny,

Thank you for replying.  hahah thats fantastic, yes the Focal 707s, those are the ones I'm going to practice on first!  Can you share some more information please? or help with the inductor values?

And even better if you also have any info and advice on modifying the Focal 806VW which is the end game for me?

many thanks, Jai

Just give me a call. I can provide you with everything you need.

I have not worked on the 806VW model.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #291 on: 3 Jul 2020, 12:22 am »
Is there any speaker Danny can't fix. Danny it must be a Wharfedale Diamond 220 next  :D

mrpope64

« Reply #292 on: 8 Jul 2020, 08:15 pm »
Danny,
Have you ever upgraded Polk Tsi100? and if so how much for a upgrade kit?

Freo-1

« Reply #293 on: 8 Jul 2020, 11:16 pm »
Danny,

I've had these speakers since 2013, and they sound terrific.  Having said that, am interested in what would you recommend for improvement:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=160327.0

Danny,

Any ideas? 

Freo-1

« Reply #294 on: 8 Jul 2020, 11:26 pm »
Well, the room is open concept, where the living room opens into the kitchen.  It's a Florida house, so it has 10 ft ceilings. The speakers are 2 feet from a side wall, and one foot from the rear wall.  The left wall only come out about 3 feet, then opens into an entry way that is roughly six feet wide.  The floors are hardwood/tile, and has leather furniture.  Could provide dimensions/pics offline if needed.

Not quite sure about application.  They are used for music/television, and two channel home entertainment. The electronics are a pair of Devialet D-Premier integrated amps, which output 500 watts per channel @ 6 ohms.  Also occasionally use tube amps that are either 80 watts or 110 watts.

I really like these speakers, and have not felt the need to replace them.  However, given their age, if improvement can be had, I'm all in.

What else would you like to know. PS: The tube amps were made by our mutual friend Charlie. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #295 on: 10 Jul 2020, 12:37 pm »

Danny,

Any ideas?

I don't know. I really can't tell much from the outside.

Freo-1

« Reply #296 on: 10 Jul 2020, 02:21 pm »
T+A Criterion TB 160

Optimized. Click on image -> Huge

German review

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-225-3889.html

First crossover

Second crossover

Rear. Binding posts.

Maty had posted this regarding the speakers.  Does this help?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #297 on: 10 Jul 2020, 03:36 pm »
To really figure out what he can/can't do with it, Danny needs to have at least one of the speakers in-house to measure and test the driver parameters, and design a proper crossover from that.

Otherwise the best he can do it just suggest to replace cheaper components with better ones.
That said, if you know the values needed, you can just do that yourself via parts express or other similar parts sellers.

Freo-1

« Reply #298 on: 10 Jul 2020, 05:21 pm »
All the same, I'm sure Danny can speak for himself.   After all, it's Danny's challenge.  :D

One needs to be careful when changing out crossover components.  It's easy to make things worse. 

Syrah

« Reply #299 on: 10 Jul 2020, 08:27 pm »
I know a few have asked this over the years, but I figured I'd check to see if there's been any change - Danny, has anyone sent you KEF LS50s to play with?  They are pretty common and I would think having a mod would be mighty popular.

I recently bought a pair because I got a really good price, and they look cool.

Given the improvements that I had with my last GR mods to speakers, I'm just dying to mod the crossovers, line them with now NoRez, and pull out the rest of your amazing mods.

I'm perfectly happy housing the crossovers in separate floor boxes with umbilical cords, so crossover space is not a problem.

I would ship mine to you, but I'm in Canada now and shipping back and forth gets expensive and document intensive.  I used to drive across the border and ship from Buffalo - but Covid is killing that plan...