What if I want to use a Center Channel speaker all by itself?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
I've got a CC speaker that is sitting in my garage doing nothing. How can I hook it up to a spare two-channel amplifier without destroying the amp? This would be the only speaker (no L or R speaker - just the center channel speaker). In essence, it would be a boom box. I'll probably use my old and trusty Squeezebox Touch as source/preamp control.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Michael

JohnR

Hi Michael, you would use just one channel of the amp. Perhaps in the Squeezebox there is an option to mix both channels to mono? Then connect just one channel to the amp.

mresseguie

JohnR,

That's too simple!  :lol: I'll check to see if there is a mono setting. If there isn't, perhaps there is an inexpensive work around.

Thanks.

I decided to just drop my asking price for the Ancora CC speaker to $550 shipped. If it doesn't sell, I will dismantle it for parts and/or experiments.
Just bought a cheap mono amp from Parts Express!
Michael 
« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2020, 06:19 pm by mresseguie »

charmerci

Hi Michael, you would use just one channel of the amp. Perhaps in the Squeezebox there is an option to mix both channels to mono? Then connect just one channel to the amp.

I'm not an expert but if my memory is correct (IDK), I thought that was bad for the amp.  :scratch:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
How can I hook it up to a spare two-channel amplifier without destroying the amp?
Some amps cant be wired in bridge/mono, I burnt the output transistors of an integrated in the past, for safety use one channel only as suggested.

musicgeek

There are dayton bluetooth amps if I remember that can do summing to mono, I was considering a similar thing to convert a center to a bluetooth boombox.

mresseguie

There are dayton bluetooth amps if I remember that can do summing to mono, I was considering a similar thing to convert a center to a bluetooth boombox.

Yup! I just Googled mono amps and landed on the Parts Express website. With a 7% discount, I'm buying a simple mono integrated 240w amp. Boombox heaven is just a week away. 

srb

With a 7% discount, I'm buying a simple mono integrated 240w amp.

If it's the Pyle PT510, the power output is actually 50W @ 10% THD, 1kHz.  ;)

mresseguie

Hahaha!  No worries. It’s not as though I’m going to crank up the music to ear splitting levels anyway. Think background music.