• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Louis at RMAF...
« on: 23 Oct 2006, 12:23 pm »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Louis at RMAF...
« Reply #1 on: 23 Oct 2006, 02:43 pm »
Vinnie.....Louis had a great sounding room at the show. And his speaker's were singing.....and what a finish on them. 8)

While I was there....TAS guy's were listening.....they liked what they heard.... :beer:

Chris

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #2 on: 23 Oct 2006, 03:32 pm »
Vinnie.....Louis had a great sounding room at the show. And his speaker's were singing.....and what a finish on them. 8)

While I was there....TAS guy's were listening.....they liked what they heard.... :beer:

Chris

Hi Chris,

I heard those Max Hemps (with the new 8" Hemp Driver) before the show and they are incredible!  I can't wait for the High Qts version too!  :wink:

Glad you enjoyed the show!

Vinnie

budbrew

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2006, 03:47 pm »
What was the system? Can't see much from that one pic.

Brad

« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2006, 02:30 am »
Louis had some Art Audio SET's with an 842 tube driving the hemps.
I didn't write down the rest of the system, but the sound was very nice - and with no room treatments....

Roland_D

« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2006, 02:01 pm »
How did the Juicy Audio x Omega Combo sound?

Thanks,
Roland

jrebman

« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2006, 03:30 pm »
How did the Juicy Audio x Omega Combo sound?

Well, basically it didn't.  They were not playing the XRS's when I got there Saturday and said that the speakers weren't broken in enough and that they were tired of explaining that to people.  At the time times I visited they were playing some Klipsch speakers (sorry, don't remember which model) and the synergy just wasn't there for me.  I was summarily unimpressed and the folks there seemed completely reluctant to play anything but there own music selections, yet loved to stop the music every 5 or 10 minutes to give there pitch.  I suppose some of this is understandable, but it was a whole different atmosphere from Louis's room.

The one thing of note that caught my attention in the Juicy Music room was that they have taken the phono stage from their integrated amp and are making it available as a stand-alone product in kit form.  Not sure if they will sell you an assembled one, but the kit is what appeals to me.

HTH,

Jim

Dmason

« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2006, 05:14 pm »
There are a couple shots of the new speaks on www.positive-feedback.com  and although the lighting is muted, they look like a real departure somehow. Sort of like Tannoy Prestige, and that new driver looks dangerously like some renaissance Altec 755 type thing with the big flat whizzer, or reminiscent of some of the Electro-Voice Michigan, Wolverine 8 inch bicone speakers.

I hope it sounds like it looks: even more like some modern, hemp'd Altec, with that BIG, phat, warm, highly resolving sound.

Mo' pix! Nice stuff Louis :thumb:

jrhanl

« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2006, 07:11 pm »
The Absolute Sound folks seem very enthusiastic about the Max Hemps:

http://www.avguide.com/news/2006/10/22/rocky-mountain-audio-fest-art-audio-gill-audio-omega/

...and I'm stashing my pennies away for a future purchase...

« Last Edit: 24 Oct 2006, 07:37 pm by jrhanl »

Brad

« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2006, 07:26 pm »
I was in Louis' room when Jonathan Valin was listening.
He was very obviously impressed - said it was the first full range single driver that worked for him.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2006, 02:44 am »
Louis.....Some nice photo's here....... :thumb:

And from the Juicy Music room........

Chris

Louis O

« Reply #11 on: 27 Oct 2006, 01:39 am »
Hi all,

Thanks and I had a great time at the RMAF. I really like this show a lot and it was great meeting Jim and Brad and seeing all the ACers again. N.Y Rave was there in force and everyone made me feel at home. Denver is beautiful and I had no problems at all with the elevation.

The room was sounding very good and Saturday and Sunday was the best. It always works out this way as the system gets worked in. The speakers especially need the time because they stiffen up in transit and they not played for 8 days. We did have a new tonearm and preamp.

I was very happy to get positive press especially from TAS. It looks like a review will be underway with them.

The system was the Maxhemps with the new driver. The wizzer is a new design and fat, with new basket, Tone Tubby cone and new trim ring in felt. The finish was a really wild metal with double thick phenolic. Really happy the way they turned out. The OB driver will look the same.

The amp was the Art Audio Diavolo with 842s although you can run 300BXLS or VV32B or 32b Emission Labs.

Preamp was the Gill Alana
Dac was Gill
Phono Pre AA vinyl Ref.
CDP CEC belt drive
TT was the Scheu Premier 2
Tone arm Shreoder model 2 and cartridge was supposed to be the Allearts MK2, but the stylus was broken. This is a really smooth unit and we were fortunate to borrow the Lyra Dorian from Frank Schroeder. All cables were Audiopath Silver.

Many thanks to everyone who stopped by for a listen.

Thanks Jim and I had not known about the Juicy music situation. They needed speakers last minute and I thought I would help them out. Had I known they weren’t playing them I would have brought them back to the room. They sound great here at the shop.

Hi Chris,

It was great hanging out and thanks for the picture links. I should grab some for the new site. I hope it will be ready soon.

Next up is NAMM. I will have the guitar speaker there with John Harrison.

Hi Dan,

You have to come up to Anaheim for this one. It will be a great time.

Thanks again,
Louis

Brad

« Reply #12 on: 27 Oct 2006, 02:06 am »
Louis?

NAMM?
Guitar speaker?

c'mon, we need more info than that.
I want to build a 2x10 cabinet with the Tone Tubby hemp Bass 10 to use with my bass.

Dmason

« Reply #13 on: 27 Oct 2006, 02:12 am »
Anaheim it is.

Winter NAMM is just a fantastic experience, with many musicians making it part of a little winter holiday on the South Coast. I have been three times now. In 96, with VIP passes courtesy of ProSound here in SD, we "rested" in the Van Halen Hospitality Suite... :green:   ...two years later at NAMM I met Keith Emerson. My friend bumped into Alan White and Jon Anderson across the street:  :o level playing field, all are colleagues.  It's that kinda gig...

I think the artsy OB guitar speaker, and especially the 10 inchers and wings with wild finish, especially when someone is demo-ing nylon string, or phasey Strat, is going to get ALOT of attention. We need Norbert Kraft, or Steve Howe to show up at that booth.

NAMM is the Emerald City of Kool Stuff. The TT/Omega OB Guit Box will fit right in.

Louis O

« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2006, 01:33 am »
Hi Brad,

The 10" TT bass drivers are amazing. I had talked to John about them and he likes to mix the alnico with the ceramic. Santana had about 60 drivers at the show in LI.

I wish I could give you more and I do have a picture, but don't know how to post it.

Hi Dan,

I can't wait and I will be there. This should be a lot of fun and who knows maybe I can meet some of the guys I listen too. I hope to see you there and will have another OB 4x10 I hope.

Ask Vinnie about the 2X12 going through the Sig 30 wide open playing AC/DC.

Talk to you soon,
Louis

Dmason

« Reply #15 on: 2 Nov 2006, 02:17 am »
The TT bass-10's are becoming the de facto standard for the Rickenbacker guys, going in the high-end Ampeg stuff now, and also for up top in fretless jazz five string rigs. Really becoming well known.

Louis O

« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2006, 01:11 am »
Hi Dan,

I'm looking in to this too. I have been told by John that the 10" guitar speakers will be great for a 4x OB. The bass drivers are next and I will know more soon.

Talk to you soon,
Louis