LSAF

voltz

LSAF
« on: 5 May 2016, 11:15 pm »
This is my 1st post here and I want to share a picture of my setup I had at the Lone Star Audio Fest in Dallas last weekend. I took my Super 7 monitors I got from Louis along with one of his new redesigned 8" Bass Foundations. The rooms walls are cement and keep each room from bleeding over into the other rooms, but can cause some bass kick and be a little tricky to setup good.

The show was Friday thru Sunday mainly, but I got there Thursday and latter that night a lot of my Texas buddies hanged out in my room, I didn't have my door open a lot during the show cause my setup was more of a private showing cause I was not actually part of the show and I was running around to see the others stuff. But the last night of the show, when it was mainly over and the only ones left were the Vendors and Audiophiles that always make the show ended up in my room to have a few drinks and finish the night. several make and sell full range speakers with no Crossovers like Louis's speakers.

Everyone really like the look and finish of the speakers and enjoy their sound, they seem to like the image and detail they heard. I was using Dared VP-300B mono-blocks that are 9 wpc and Dared SL-2000A preamp with a Marantz SACD as player & DAC for my Laptop full of FLAC's.

Darryl

Guy 13

Re: LSAF
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2016, 11:38 pm »
A warm welcome to AudioCircle Mr. Darryl

Guy 13

Brad

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2016, 01:57 pm »
Darryl,

Wish I had known you were there.  I would have definitely noticed the Omegas had I seen them.
Glad you made it to demo your system.  It's a learning experience!
One of the downsides of demo'ing is that it's hard to see the rest of the show.

Brad in Houston

Norman Tracy

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2016, 05:59 pm »
Hi Darryl,

As I told you during the Sunday night party it was a real treat for me to hear and see your Omegas at LSAF 2016. Both the sound and fit-n-finish impressed. As the party progressed I was further impressed at how they took the loud rock in stride. One tends to think of the full range single driver speaker as something for trio jazz, chamber music, and James Taylor. Those Omegas showed they can rock even with just 9 jumbo triode watts. The tablet controlling Darryl's JRiver player was getting passed around and no one found a track the Omega Super 7 monitors and VP-300B mono-blocks didn't take in stride. There were a couple of other systems at the show which like Darryl's showed if you want to get into direct heated triode amps a speaker system that off loads the bass to a powered sub or woofer section is a smart way to go.

voltz

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2016, 06:57 pm »
Thanks for the welcome!

Hey Brad, I was between Skip's room & Jim's and did you have the open baffles with the Tang Band's on top?

Hey Norman, was a blast and was great getting to go out to eat with you a few times. I just got the IPAD working as a controller right before I left for Texas and It sure beat having to use the laptop each time! And know we need to get Louis to the Show as it would be perfect for him and his speakers and let others see them.

Brad

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2016, 08:39 pm »
Yep, I had the TBs.

I met Louis a few years ago at RMAF.   The cost for LSAF might be a little more palatable for him, although with a DIY heavy crowd, might not be as rewarding either.
But it would be fun to visit and hear his best setup.

Louis O

« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2016, 12:38 pm »
Hi voltz,

Welcome and Thanks for posting and the pictures. Thanks also for showing your system at the LSAF. The setup looks great and so happy that the sound and look impressed. I have been told the Dared amps where a great match with Omega. I would like to hear them for myself. Setting up hotel rooms usually are pretty tough, but looks like you got it dialed in. I would like to go out to the shows again. They were always a lot of fun and I miss it. I decided a while ago to put resources into driver development which was pretty expensive. We'll see how it goes moving forward. I would really like to go again.

Hi Brad,

Thanks and I remember seeing you at RMAF. It's a great show. It would be great to show the new speakers too.

Hi Norman Tracy,

Many thanks for your kind words. I'm very happy you liked the sound and that they can play rock is something I worked on when developing the drivers. The 7's like to play rock. I agree with powered bass sections. They are the best way to add deep bass. Active bass is so controllable too, a big plus.

Thanks again,
Louis

voltz

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2016, 08:28 pm »
Hey Louis

Was fun and I'm glad I took the super 7's, I understand how it can be hard to make the shows and fund new developments especially with airfare & hotel cost and trying to move a lot of gear. hope someday I get a chance to meet you somewhere. Really like the 8" sub for being so easy to transport and it has plenty of bass for my needs, plus my 12" HT sub is a back breaker.
Darryl

Norman Tracy

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2016, 06:21 pm »
Hi Darryl and Louis,

Not crazy about the expression caught on my mug in the picture above, that's me on the far right.  :icon_surprised: I'm sure I was saying something like "Ohhhhh, you should hear how good Darryl 's Omegas sound on just 9 watts for SET power!" Speaking of triodes the chap in the photo green shirt second from the left is Dave Thomson owner of Raven Audio. If only we would of had time to 'borrow' their new 300B PP integrated amp up to Darryl's room for an introduction to the Super 7s. Perhaps best time ran out, likely outcome of that would be Darryl selling his truck and taking the bus to work to finance the amplifier upgrade.

Anyway...I missed asking a question. Are Darryl's Super 7s finished in real wood or laminate? They looked great, the metal nameplate badge really set them off. As a woodworker normally I would be loath to ask 'real wood or laminate' but having followed Louis' work for some time I know he has been known to use some of the finest laminates available from Europe on his product.

voltz

« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2016, 11:59 pm »
Sorry about that pic Norman, I showed it as I noticed both you and mike had that same expression on your face and I was wondering why? thought maybe it was the music that just started playing? that is why I con not resist showing it!

The Finish is the EKO Olivewood Laminate that I had Louis use as I really like its looks and choose it over the wood veneer's, though I almost went with the Zebrawood Veneer.  I think it ended up looking even better then I expected it too.

But I would have loved hearing Dave's new 300b amps on the Omega's but I be afraid of their cost! and we could add your DAC to the equipment :)

Louis O

« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2016, 01:45 am »
Hi Norman Tracy and voltz,

Thanks and I like the picture and many thanks for your kind words.
I went on the Raven website and all the amps look terrific. I'm sure they sound as good as they look.

I would want to hear the combo too.

All the EKO finishes are laminates that I get from Montreal. It's the best I've seen and little more expensive, but worth it. What's great about the Olivewood is the look and color as well as an embossed grain that feels like wood and reflects light like wood.

My level 2's are sourced from France and Italy. 

I'm very happy you like the new badge too and I actually found a coin company in Virginia to mint them. They do a terrific job and very happy with the results.

Thanks again,
Louis

Norman Tracy

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2016, 08:34 pm »
Hi again Darryl and Louis,

No, no, no nope, nope, nope. Darryl no apologies asked for, needed, or accepted for the picture above of me saying "Oooohhh did you hear how good Darryl's system sounds?" Feel free all to laugh with and at me and the instant Darryl  captured. Now if you had caught and used this image from Stereophile's THE show coverage I might consider an apology in order.

The sad thing is given how valued a mention in Stereophile is whoever that is likely is glad to take one for the team just to get the mention.

Louis, thanks for the details on the finish. It really adds value to your product.