No Halo 2 this year?

bubba966

No Halo 2 this year?
« on: 11 Mar 2003, 11:09 am »
Have CNN on while I'm trying to fix a busted 11y.o. LD player.

They just ran a story about Halo 2 not being released this year. They stated that Bungie says the delay is due to the fact that the PC & Mac ports of Halo are taking up their time and won't be able to get Halo 2 compleated this year as a result.

I do know one of the guys that works at Bungie. From what I remember of the last conversation I had with him about the PC & Mac ports, I don't see how that could delay Halo 2.

Guess I'll have to ask him what's really up with Halo 2 when I see him next...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
No Halo 2 this year?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2003, 11:25 am »
That really sucks.  I was really looking forward to some new Coventant blasting.  There must be some reason they aren't telling.  Bummer.

Geez, Brian, is it just my imagination or are we the only losers browsing this site in the wee hours of the mornin'?  I need a life! :o

bubba966

No Halo 2 this year?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2003, 11:34 am »
:lol:

Yeah, we seem to be the only losers around here at this time of day. I wouldn't be here right now if I was working...

I should be trying to finish fixing my old LDP. But I got a bit frustrated with it so I felt like killing some more time here.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
No Halo 2 this year?
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2003, 11:42 am »
I hear ya.  I have a goofy schedule:  I work from 7 a.m. til 7:30 p.m., but only Th, F & Sat.  The rest of the time I have to much time on my hands. :wink:   Seems like instead of sleeping I'm watching a flick, listening to some tunes or reading about gear/surfing the net.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
No Halo 2 this year?
« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2003, 11:44 am »
Of course, some of the folks logging on about now probably just woke up instead of still being up... :oops:

bubba966

No Halo 2 this year?
« Reply #5 on: 11 Mar 2003, 11:49 am »
I never much cared for getting up earlier than 10.

Actually I think the crack of noon is my favorite time to drag my ass out of bed. :lol:

I don't see how people can be getting up at this time of the morning...

Woodsea

No Halo 2 this year?
« Reply #6 on: 11 Mar 2003, 02:47 pm »
The Bungie people are going the route of Valve.  They are not going to put out a product until it is perfect(ly) finished.  Microsoft does not have a problem with their decision, and ultimately neither did the millions of fans of the original Half-life fans.  There are going to be a whole slew of great games coming out this summer and fall.

bubba966

No Halo 2 this year?
« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2003, 12:35 am »
I know that Bungie has taken their time with Halo 2 so they do it right. I was told that last year by one of the programming leads.

But what I would like to know is why they're using the Halo port as the public reson for the delay in the completion of Halo 2.

Woodsea

No Halo 2 this year?
« Reply #8 on: 12 Mar 2003, 12:46 am »
Here's the official announcement, straight from the official site:

There has been much speculation regarding Halo 2's release date since we announced the game last year. The fact is we don't like announcing release dates unless we're certain we'll meet the deadline.

We're still not ready to pick a specific release date, but we do want to state for the record that Halo 2 will not ship in 2003. This game is a vast undertaking, considerably more complex than any of our previous efforts, and there is just no way to squeeze all of the necessary work into this calendar year. We know many of you were hoping to get your hands on Halo 2 during the holiday season, and we're sorry to disappoint you - but making this game as good as we possibly can is our paramount concern. Microsoft understands and supports our decision, and we hope you will too. Our ultimate goal is to make Halo 2 a great game; when the game comes out next year, we think you'll agree we made the right choice.

Of course, you'll be able to get a small taste of the glories we have in store when we show Halo 2 at the Electronic Entertainment Expo in May. And there is Halo for Mac and PC, still on track for a 2003 release with several new features and content. There is lots of exciting stuff on the way for Halo fans.
http://www.bungie.net/perlbin/blam.pl?file=/site/1/news/news_detail.html&id=A72CE2BD-

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
No Halo 2 this year?
« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2003, 12:48 am »
I'd be happy with an expansion disc for the existing game.  Since the 'box has a hard drive, this should be doable.  Ah, if only...