Mono chassis $49 + shipping

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
Re: Mono chassis $49 + shipping
« Reply #120 on: 21 May 2012, 09:05 pm »
...TomS' is very similar to mine as I was the first to use this case.  The only difference insdie is that my NC400 is square to the SMPS.  That's really it.

Jason,
Yes, that is what I thought above.  Comparing my diagram to TomS' image, my amp is further south for a shorter audio input to the XLR (XLR located @ south-east corner of my base diagram or left-most on my rear panel diagram).

Builders/buyers:
Coming new base diagram will display audio input wire and speaker cable.  The answer to the following question determines whether the XLR locates left and the binding posts locate center (looking at rear panel of assembled amp) or vice versa:

What's better and why: shorter audio input/longer speaker cable or vice versa?     
« Last Edit: 22 May 2012, 12:51 am by James Romeyn »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #121 on: 22 May 2012, 03:32 am »
Mike, Silicon Ray emailed:

MOQ 20 pieces
Cutting fee $10ea
OK to mix black/silver faces, no up-charge for black face (normally +$5)

What number are we up to?
I suggest possibly someone post note @ DIY to increase the quantity

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #122 on: 22 May 2012, 03:35 am »
I emailed Mike @ Silicon Ray the number of cuts.  He replied:

MOQ 20 pieces
Cutting fee $10ea chassis, $49 + $10 = $59 + shipping to me, me to you
OK to mix black/silver faces, no up-charge for black face (normally +$5)

What number are we up to?
Maybe post @ DIY to increase quantity? 

orientalexpress

« Reply #123 on: 22 May 2012, 01:33 pm »
if He's charge $10.00 for cutting,how much are we saving here for the group buy?

lapsan

mr_bill

« Reply #124 on: 22 May 2012, 03:14 pm »
I'm still in, and glad I don't have to drill the holes myself!
2 silver chassis for me,  :D

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #125 on: 22 May 2012, 03:36 pm »
if He's charge $10.00 for cutting,how much are we saving here for the group buy?

lapsan

If anyone knows of any precut CAD/CNC mono Ncore chassis please post here so readers including me can compare apples to apples, and decide where/how to spend our money.  AFAIK it's this chassis vs. cut your own and you'll save a few dollars.  The IEC hole is rectangular, and I'm not interested in cutting six such holes and 90 holes total (six chassis x 15 holes each). 

HI CoZ sold all his mono chassis.  I'm saving more money than others because I'm buying six chassis, but others benefit because I contribute 30% toward the MOQ (industry term for "Minimum Order Quantity") of 20. 

I'll get the total shipping cost for 20 pieces to me.  I'll also get the weight per chassis, then I'll get an actual shipping cost from me to a specific address (48 state) and thereafter post my shipping cost.

Then we'll have one hypothetical total cost for two chassis to one specific address (your address may be slightly different). 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #126 on: 22 May 2012, 04:30 pm »
OK...SR is closed now...I proceeded through checkout for 20 chassis, all silver face (Mike said no $5 up-charge for black faces):

Chassis $49
Shipping each to me $20
Subtotal $69 x 20 = $1380
One time SR $10 handling fee = $1390/20 = 69.50 ea
Add $10ea for cutting, $79.50
Add estimate $10ea shipping from me to you, $89.50, $179/pr (this is not your exact final cost...rather than $10 estimate as above you'll prepay me the amount printed on your shipping label which you'll confirm when it arrives)

AFAIK Mike @ SR requires single order, MOQ 20, for $10 per chassis cutting fee.

I estimate $200-$300 depending on geographic area for CAD/CNC cutting. 

Above two chassis delivered uncut to my Utah zip code 84332:
Silver face $49 + 20 = 69ea, $138/pair + 10 SR handling = 148/pr...black face + 10/pr = $158/pair, but $10 fee varies depending on zip code.

So we pay about $30/pair more for fully cut chassis vs. $200-300 for local service (estimate).       

I'm happy to spend less if possible, please post here. 

mr_bill

« Reply #127 on: 22 May 2012, 07:39 pm »
Do you want our addresses sent to you now?
I sent mine to your email address.

genjamon

« Reply #128 on: 22 May 2012, 07:45 pm »
Yesterday I checked out the www.FrontPanelExpress.com option TomS mentioned over on the chassis parts thread.  It has a price estimator built into the free design software you download.  I designed a rudimentary back plate with the various holes and dimensions outlined on James's hand-drawn sketch.  It didn't have the holes in exactly the same places, as I didn't have a lot of time to perfect the design. 

If you provide the plate, they would charge about $20 for cutting all the holes in one plate - $40 for two.  You can also just give them the dimensions of the plate, and they will make a new plate and design it with all the right holes.  For that, it was $26 per plate.  Based on this, it seems like you could do a lot better than $200-300 with alternative options.  Front Panel Express might also do bulk discounts.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #129 on: 22 May 2012, 07:53 pm »
Or just get a Coz chassis and be done.  I bet he would make you guys a deal if you pre pay for 20 pcs....

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #130 on: 22 May 2012, 08:17 pm »
Or just get a Coz chassis and be done.  I bet he would make you guys a deal if you pre pay for 20 pcs....

He's offline but I'll PM him now.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #131 on: 22 May 2012, 08:36 pm »
Yesterday I checked out the www.FrontPanelExpress.com option TomS mentioned over on the chassis parts thread.  It has a price estimator built into the free design software you download.  I designed a rudimentary back plate with the various holes and dimensions outlined on James's hand-drawn sketch.  It didn't have the holes in exactly the same places, as I didn't have a lot of time to perfect the design. 

If you provide the plate, they would charge about $20 for cutting all the holes in one plate - $40 for two.  You can also just give them the dimensions of the plate, and they will make a new plate and design it with all the right holes.  For that, it was $26 per plate.  Based on this, it seems like you could do a lot better than $200-300 with alternative options.  Front Panel Express might also do bulk discounts.

Thanks for posting this option. 

SR charges $10ea for cutting.  So if someone else cuts for free, we save $10ea, right? 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #132 on: 22 May 2012, 08:39 pm »
Do you want our addresses sent to you now?
I sent mine to your email address.

No.

Maybe everyone in should email me at the link under my name.  In the subject line type "chassis" followed by numeric value (quantity desired) and I'll get the current total. 

Sorry, the new drawing is coming today, hopefully.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #133 on: 22 May 2012, 10:04 pm »
Wow, Mike's first coffee cup in China is early! 

He just discounted $5ea off the normal $20ea shipping, for net $15ea.  So discount $5 off each chassis.

Waiting for Mike's reply for inside our outside chassis view diagram before I re-draw and post.   

PeteG

« Reply #134 on: 23 May 2012, 12:05 am »

+1  :thumb:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #135 on: 23 May 2012, 12:24 am »
CoZ' unedited reply to my cost query for MOQ 20 mono chassis:

"Hey James,

I'm on vacation in the Caribbean until Friday. I can check when I get back in pocket. It is not fast though probably 6 weeks. From order date.

Thanks
Robert

Consider "not fast...probably...from order date".  I suppose we'd order separately, meaning nothing starts, and price increases (above whatever he eventually quotes) if short MOQ 20.  Just sayin'.       

But Robert added that he'd pay for and take us with him on his next vacation... :lol:

Also...I turned the PS and amp 90 degrees clockwise.  Surprisingly this seems ideal.  Photo coming.  AC mains about 2" long (was 8-10").  Audio input and speaker cable about 4" each. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #136 on: 23 May 2012, 03:00 am »
I'm convinced (for now  :lol:) this layout is ideal in this chassis.  The only wire not shown is the speaker cable from amp (two gold Phillips screws just above the audio input jack) to binding posts (mount vertical, centers spaced 40mm).

« Last Edit: 23 May 2012, 04:07 am by James Romeyn »

genjamon

« Reply #137 on: 23 May 2012, 03:21 am »
 :thumb:

santacore

« Reply #138 on: 23 May 2012, 05:50 am »
That looks great James!

Rclark

« Reply #139 on: 23 May 2012, 05:58 am »