BDA-3 DAC

BCRich1

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #1240 on: 13 Mar 2020, 11:32 pm »
Hi All,

I am facing an issue on my BDA3 when changing tracks from PCM to DSD (and the other way around too): there is a loud pop from one speaker. input is USB from an external streamer. if the tracks are on a playist, no problems at all.

never had issues when input is HDMI instead.

any help? firmware is updated to latest version (early 2018 if I'm not wrong).

thanks in advance!

Hi Grant,
What streamer are you using? There is a good chance it is the USB Driver.
Mike

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #1241 on: 14 Mar 2020, 12:32 am »
you'd think there would be an automatic muting circuit following the source selector circuitry

Grant Hill

« Reply #1242 on: 14 Mar 2020, 02:15 pm »
Hi,

I am using an Aries G1 connected with USB on BDA3.

Thanks

BCRich1

« Reply #1243 on: 14 Mar 2020, 06:21 pm »
Firmware up to date? I had the same problem when upsampling in HQPlayer through a Sonore MicroRendu, Linux Kernel had to be updated. Have not had a problem with my BDA-3 since.

Grant Hill

« Reply #1244 on: 14 Mar 2020, 08:25 pm »
Both are updated to the last version... it’s the first thing I did when the problem started..

Grant Hill

« Reply #1245 on: 22 Mar 2020, 03:17 pm »
Gents, I don’t know why but the problem it’s solved... yesterday it stopped doing the bop when switching to Dsd files... I now hope it will not come back to the previous situation   :D

schmidtmike76

« Reply #1246 on: 25 Mar 2020, 12:57 pm »
Do we ever have to do any updates to the BDA3 if everything works.  I guess are there updates that come out and what do they do

Bob-Z

« Reply #1247 on: 4 Apr 2020, 10:13 am »
Hi all,

Happy camper with my BDP-1 and BDA-1, which (after a bit of a struggle) now happily play roon. Am considering and upgrade to BDA-3.
two questions if I may:

Is there a BDA-4 in planning?

Would the BDA 3.14 be a better idea compared to keeping the BDP-1

TNX

bob

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1248 on: 4 Apr 2020, 11:43 am »
Hi Bob

No BDA-4 anywhere in sight.

Yes I would go with the BDP3.14 it has much more computing capability and has the BDA-3 DAC as well. Works great as a streamer as well.

james

Silverbullet

« Reply #1249 on: 28 Apr 2020, 07:27 pm »
Just set up a Chromecast attached to an HDMI port on my BDA3. Now I can listen to Spotify, SoundCloud, YouTube and other apps in better quality sound and not have to use a PC.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1250 on: 28 Apr 2020, 07:46 pm »
Just set up a Chromecast attached to an HDMI port on my BDA3. Now I can listen to Spotify, SoundCloud, YouTube and other apps in better quality sound and not have to use a PC.

Hi Silver

Can you give me more details - I was thinking of experimenting with Chromecast myself.

james

Silverbullet

« Reply #1251 on: 28 Apr 2020, 08:11 pm »
Hi James
Nothing special, just plugged a Chromecast straight into HDMI1 and the power into a power point. I’ve got a couple of other Chromecast units plugged into TVs so it was simply a matter of using the Google Home app to set it up. If you haven’t used it before, you need to download the app, change your device to connect to the Chromecast wireless signal, change the Chromecast WiFi to your home WiFi, finish the install, connect your device back to your home WiFi and you’re set to go. I did have a little hassle connecting YouTube (couldn’t see the Chromecast to cast to) but a reboot of the Chromecast fixed the issue. I’ve only tried YouTube and Spotify so far but they work fine. I use Spotify to stream as here in my part of the world, not all streaming apps are available and my internet connection is poor.

I’m thinking of using a USB port on my BDP2 to supply power to the Chromecast so it powers down if I turn the system off. That’s the kind of thing I’ve done with the others by using a USB port on the TV that the Chromecast is plugged into.

Early morning here so I haven’t turned the volume up to hear what it sounds like properly, only enough to hear that it works. I’m hoping the BDA3 works it’s usual magic.

Cheers
Peter 

Silverbullet

« Reply #1252 on: 28 Apr 2020, 08:24 pm »
James, I missed saying one other thing, during setup the Chromecast sends a code to the TV and google home asks you to check the code, I don’t have the BDA3 connected to a TV so I just assumed the code was the correct one and accepted it. Everything went OK obviously.
Peter

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1253 on: 28 Apr 2020, 09:16 pm »
Thanks Peter - much appreciated.

james

Grant Hill

« Reply #1254 on: 29 Apr 2020, 08:18 am »
Hi All

one simple question. Any of the HDMI inputs on BDA3 is HDMI Arc4?

thanks, have a nice day

steveoat

« Reply #1255 on: 18 May 2020, 11:30 am »
With the BDA-3 and/or the BDA 3.14 can you view video through one of the HDMI inputs, while you hear sound from one of the either inputs, like USB.  For example, if I have PC on HDMI, can I listen to sound via USB?

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #1256 on: 23 May 2020, 11:30 pm »
With the BDA-3 and/or the BDA 3.14 can you view video through one of the HDMI inputs, while you hear sound from one of the either inputs, like USB.  For example, if I have PC on HDMI, can I listen to sound via USB?

According to the manual, yes. At least for the 3.14 this is true, I would guess the 3 would be the same. In fact, you can only get video pass through happening if you have a non-HDMI input selected...

Cheers,
Robert

WildPhydeaux

« Reply #1257 on: 23 May 2020, 11:35 pm »
Hi All

one simple question. Any of the HDMI inputs on BDA3 is HDMI Arc4?

thanks, have a nice day

Nope.

Cheers,
Robert

Grant Hill

« Reply #1258 on: 24 May 2020, 03:26 pm »
Thank you Robert

marcosax

« Reply #1259 on: 2 Jun 2020, 05:21 pm »
Hi everyone,
got a brand new BDA-3 very recently but unfortunately haven't had the time to enjoy it, as the following day the left channel of my Bryston 4B ST decided to stop working and I had to send it to get serviced  :banghead:.

I see a new FIRMWARE UPDATE has just come out yesterday http://support.bryston.com/downloads/BDA3/firmware/
and from the Release Notes, it seems a volume control of some sort has been implemented (line 11 in the .txt file). Again, as it was introduced and then eliminated in previous releases, judging from the rel history.

I really hope this means I could change the volume from a remote like the Bryston BR2 or a compatible like Logitech.
For the short time I could listen to it, I battled against the volume control from ROON when playing native DSD files.
It could work ONLY with volume at 100. Any less than that I got static from the speakers.
This is obviously not ok, as you imagine listening and controlling ROON from an iPad or other touch-sensitive control, and inadvertently tapping on the volume and been hit by a wall of static noise! (if that won't damage the speakers).
I don't know if the update fixed this or what other changes it brings.
I contacted Mike on this and waiting for his reply, but thought to post it here too.
I also know of another user who updated his BDA-3 (successfully) but after that, it works ok, but he couldn't access the control web page anymore.
He contacted support and waiting for a reply.
So I am postponing the update until further news.

Any news, hint, solution?

TIA