What tubes do you plan to use in your DHT?

decur

Re: What tubes do you plan to use in your DHT?
« Reply #200 on: 17 Aug 2018, 11:56 pm »
Yeah,I’m wondering too?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #201 on: 21 Aug 2018, 05:19 am »
Yeah,I’m wondering too?

All,

I have been so insanely busy that so far, I was only able so far to test the KR T-100 tubes in the L2 Preamp prototype unit.

They sounded superb and I'll be going into more details later (sorry, but I have so much on my plate right now), but I'm not sure yet how they will work with LIO DHT PRE.  The DHT circuit in LIO DHT PRE vs L2 Preamp is quite a bit different, so
I can't recommend them for LIO DHT PRE *yet* ... but hopefully soon. 

Actually, I don't have a LIO DHT PRE on hand... all sold out and won't be able to get to building one for a week or two.  Sorry
for the delay.  :duh:

Thanks,

Vinnie

jhrlrd

« Reply #202 on: 23 Aug 2018, 05:23 pm »
I've been running the KR 300B (straight bottle version) in my LIO DHT, and quite happy with the results, nothing 'wrong' with them.

Recently bought a pair of KR PX4. The first thing I noticed about the PX4 is it seems to have
a higher output compared to the KR 300B. I had to turn the volume down a couple notches to equal the sound level
produced by the 300Bs.
 After matching levels, I still perceive the PX4 to have a "stronger" presentation, more presence or fleshed out if you will.
Tonally and spatially about the same as the 300B, in my system as least.
The bass seems to have slightly more power behind it, however that may be a function of the tube producing more output, I don't know.
I think I'll run the PX4 for a month, then put the 300Bs back in and see if anything's missing...

Interested in trying the TAKs, but I'm guessing the difference would be subtle, and not sure if it would be worth triple the cake.
However, If they did add gobs of depth, or separation, or soundstage width, I would deem them worth it.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #203 on: 23 Aug 2018, 08:43 pm »
Hi jhrlrd,

Thanks for your post.

I also have a new pair of KR 300Bs that I'd like to try out soon.

..PX4 to have a "stronger" presentation, more presence or fleshed out if you will. Tonally and spatially about the same as the 300B, in my system as least.  The bass seems to have slightly more power behind it, however that may be a function of the tube producing more output, I don't know.  I think I'll run the PX4 for a month, then put the 300Bs back in and see if anything's missing...

Those are the areas where the PX4 excels.

Interested in trying the TAKs, but I'm guessing the difference would be subtle, and not sure if it would be worth triple the cake.

See: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=143241.msg1651853#msg1651853

More soon enough...

Vinnie

SteveKi

« Reply #204 on: 24 Aug 2018, 02:27 pm »
Anyone know how much the KR PX4 has been selling for recently? best300b website is currently unavailable.
I want to sell a used (50hrs) pair, is $650 a good price??
TIA,
Steve

jhrlrd

« Reply #205 on: 24 Aug 2018, 04:41 pm »
I paid $500 for mine, and they weren't used much.

jriggy

« Reply #206 on: 24 Aug 2018, 09:30 pm »
500 is a really good price. I paid 650.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #207 on: 26 Aug 2018, 03:51 pm »
best300b website is currently unavailable.

Hi SteveKi,

I was able to view their site.  Standard KR PX-4's are selling for 319 Euro each (so about $750 / pair + shipping).

Vinnie

SteveKi

« Reply #208 on: 19 Sep 2018, 04:24 pm »
Hi SteveKi,

I was able to view their site.  Standard KR PX-4's are selling for 319 Euro each (so about $750 / pair + shipping).

Vinnie

This site?  http://www.best300b.com/

Vinnie R.

« Reply #209 on: 21 Sep 2018, 05:50 pm »

Hi Steve,

Yes, that's the site

Vinnie

Vinnie R.

« Reply #210 on: 20 Oct 2018, 12:07 am »
All,

These evening I went to finally try the KR T100 in the LIO DHT PRE, and.... and....
they don't even fit because their base is too large for the top panel opening!  :duh:  :oops:

These  T100s are quite larger than the 300B, PX4, SV811 tubes.  Their base has a approx. 1.85" diameter
and they are 7 inches tall (not including the pins).  So even though they have the same UX-4 pin-out,
they are big boys.  The glass diameter is 2.3 inches.

I did briefly remove the LIO top panel and plugged them and confirmed that they do seem to work
fine with LIO DHT PRE circuit, but I did not get into doing comparisons between them and the KR PX4 - which
we all know fits fine and sounds lovely.  :inlove:

When I first received my KR T100s (before RMAF, when I was finalizing the L2 Signature Preamp design and getting
it into production), they fit into the L2 without any issues because the opening on the top is 2.5" diameter as it was designed
to have about 1/3 - 1/2 of the tube coming out from the inside the unit.  So being as busy as I was, it didn't even cross
my mind that the T100's larger bass would not fit into the LIO top panel opening.

Well, the Elrog 300Bs that are coming next week should fit fine in LIO and we'll see how they sound!  :thumb:

Vinnie

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #211 on: 20 Oct 2018, 01:52 am »
This site was gone?
Sorry, this shop is currently unavailable.

Mikeg77

« Reply #212 on: 20 Oct 2018, 02:00 am »
I got the same message, but found this side door...
https://shop.best300b.com/collections/tubes

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #213 on: 20 Oct 2018, 02:16 am »
Oh nice, thanks Bro :thumb:

mcanaday

« Reply #214 on: 21 Oct 2018, 01:28 pm »
Dear Vinnie-

Many, many thanks for checking this out!  And it definitely simplifies the decision.  I'll wait to hear what you think of the Elrog 300 bs before pulling the trigger on the KR Px-4.

cheers,

Margot

Timbana

« Reply #215 on: 21 Oct 2018, 08:00 pm »
Takatsuki TA-300B

I installed a pair of Takatsukis in my LIO a few weeks ago. Listening to them after a few days of burn in, I was immediately impressed by the improvement they provide relative to the KR PX4s I was previously using. I had settled on the PX4s after comparing them with a couple of other options and believe they are a significant upgrade to the stock tubes and others I tried. Since installing the TAKs, I've enjoyed them so much that I hadn't completed the "shoot-off" with the PX-4s until today. After listening for a while with the PX-4s in my LIO, then going back to the TAKs, I can say with confidence that the TAKs are significantly better (in my system, in my room).

Breaking "significantly better" down into specific sonic qualities, the TAKs: 1) provide a more convincing illusion of reality, 2) simultaneously sound more "calm" or "relaxed" while providing improved detail, 3) make individual voices and instruments sound more tangible, solid and focused; in contrast, when paying attention to individual voices or instruments (throughout the frequency spectrum) with the PX-4s in the circuit, they sound relatively "fuzzy" or "smeared", 4) infuse music with a sense of air and liveliness . . . without any high frequency emphasis that I could detect . . . even crunchy low bass notes sound nimble and lively, . . . . which brings me to 5) provide significantly better bass, with the fundamentals and overtones sounding perfectly integrated and realistic. My enjoyment of the PX-4s lower frequencies was a primary reason I prefer them to others I had previously tried, but IMO the TAKs' bass is significantly better.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2018, 12:09 am by Timbana »

mcanaday

« Reply #216 on: 22 Oct 2018, 01:38 am »
Interesting!  Thanks for sharing that.  What is the difference in price?

cheers,

Margot

Timbana

« Reply #217 on: 22 Oct 2018, 02:20 am »
The TAKs are pretty pricey: $2500 retail, but Parts Connexion has them for $1600 . . . so, they are approx. $600 more than the KR PX-4s . . . which caused me to hesitate for many months before finally taking the plunge for the TAKs. I had seen so many positive online comments about the TAKs that I figured they must be good tubes, but I was put off by the price . . . and the uncertainty as to whether they would be a good match for the LIO. Once Vinnie gave them his "seal of approval" I decided to give them a try. Now, having heard them, I think I would pay full retail for a pair (if I had to) because I wouldn't want to "settle" for something else. The KR PX-4s are good tubes, and work well in the LIO, but the TAKs take it up to another level IMO.

mcanaday

« Reply #218 on: 22 Oct 2018, 11:21 am »
Well that is more than I ever thought I would spend on a pair of tubes, but you have me pretty tempted.  I'll think on it.  Many thanks!!!

cheers, Margot

Vinnie R.

« Reply #219 on: 23 Oct 2018, 04:59 pm »
Hi Timbana,

Thank you for posting your impressions of your TAK TA300Bs, and I'm really glad you are enjoying them even more than your KR PX4 in your LIO DHT PRE. 

They are pricey, but $1600 is a very good price on a pair!

I would actually pay full retail for them if I had to.  And DHT's in the LIO DHT PRE will last many, many years...

I have Elrog 300Bs coming this week and will be testing them in the LIO DHT PRE and in the L2 Signature Preamp.  8)

Thanks again,

Vinnie