Speaker decoupling: under speakers, under stands, or both?

Alphecca

I have monitors (Spica TC-50s) on Sound Anchor stands on sprung wood floors.  The stands are filled/heavy, are spiked on the bottom, and use ball bearings between the top and speakers.  The stands also include hardware to bolt the speakers to the stands (still using ball bearings as the interface), though I haven't done this.

My question; would it make more sense for me to:

A. Replace the ball bearings with fat dots (skipping the bolts, if course) and keep the spikes;

B. To use the bolts and ball bearings as prescribed, but put puckies under the spikes;

C. Both (if both, which first?)

D. ???

Thanks!!!

mick wolfe

Re: Speaker decoupling: under speakers, under stands, or both?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2020, 03:42 pm »
You've presented a situation that will require some experimentation. First of all in my experience, spiking to a suspended wood floor has been a sonic disaster.....at least for me. Is there carpet involved or are you dealing with a finished wood floor? Either way, I'd experiment with decoupling either at the base of the speaker stand or between the speaker's bottom and the plate of the speaker stand. In other words, introduce decoupling somewhere in this equation. Lots off interesting products out there for decoupling. Herbie's, IsoAcoustics, etc.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2020, 05:08 pm »
You've presented a situation that will require some experimentation. First of all in my experience, spiking to a suspended wood floor has been a sonic disaster.....at least for me. Is there carpet involved or are you dealing with a finished wood floor? Either way, I'd experiment with decoupling either at the base of the speaker stand or between the speaker's bottom and the plate of the speaker stand. In other words, introduce decoupling somewhere in this equation. Lots off interesting products out there for decoupling. Herbie's, IsoAcoustics, etc.

Excellent advice.

charles

Alphecca

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jan 2020, 11:49 am »
Thank you for the reply. No carpet involved.  The floors I'm on are actually fairly soft wood...so it's probably even worse than hardwood.  Given that, puckies under the spikes might be good for practical reasons.  Perhaps I'll start there. 

Thanks again.

Michael

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2020, 03:28 am »
If the speakers are less than 25 lbs a piece you can get an 8 pack of IsoAcoustics Mini Pucks for $99 and put them between the stand top plate and the speakers, four per speaker.