Storeing Maggies

BikeFi10

Storeing Maggies
« on: 5 May 2022, 06:25 pm »
Storeing 1.7i s under a bed while music room is being remodeled. About 4 months. Do not have boxes.
Anyone know of this being a problem?
I read about a guy who spent some time pulling sock away from panel with duct tape and they were new out of box.
Seems if nothing pressing on sock and their flat all should be good.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Storeing Maggies
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2022, 07:04 pm »
I think it would be okay.
In the boxes they have cardboard so the weight is supported on the perimeter of the speakers, maybe something like that?
Either that or prop them up against a wall and cover them with sheets, that would probably be my first choice.

brooklyn

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2022, 04:52 am »
When I purchased my .7’s new, the sock was stuck to both speakers. The manual said to use a
sticky type of tape to pull it off the front of the speakers. The whole process took about 10 minutes
for each speaker. In my opinion the speaker frame should be enough to stack them flat on top of each
other without the stands and slide them under the bed.. or you can slip some cardboard between the
speakers if you prefer.

I’m not using my Maggies at the moment. I covered the speakers with the original plastic bags that
came with the .7’s and have them standing upright with the stands attached in another bedroom for
the time being..

BikeFi10

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2022, 07:15 pm »
They are not on top of each other, that would be too intimate, lol, sorry.
They are covered with cardboard and laying flat on their perimeter frames.
Yes maybe Ill set them upright a bit before using them.
Brooklyn, you must be the guy I read about with the duct tape.
Thanks for feedback everyone.

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2022, 11:40 pm »
Have you tried contacting Magnepan about proper storage?

BikeFi10

« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2022, 04:39 pm »
Saturn...good idea.

mick wolfe

« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2022, 07:03 pm »
Although stored flat under the bed is a perfect "out of site, out of mind " solution, I'd feel more comfortable storing them upright long term. This especially if your 4 month project turns into an 8 month project. I guess wait and see what Magnepan says.

Saturn94

« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2022, 12:42 am »
Although stored flat under the bed is a perfect "out of site, out of mind " solution, I'd feel more comfortable storing them upright long term. This especially if your 4 month project turns into an 8 month project. I guess wait and see what Magnepan says.

I wonder if storing them flat for an extended time might cause sagging of the driver structure, hence my suggestion to contact Magnepan for guidance.

BikeFi10

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2022, 01:49 pm »
Called Magnepan and I was told it is fine to store their speakers horizantal. Appearently that is how they are stacked at the factory, but in boxes.
As long as nothing presses sock in againest panel its good.

Now onto next Maggie item, high pass crossover at 80hz to relieve panels of very low frequencys. Im following this topic in another planar circle. I think its something like "High passing LRS". Page 2?

BikeFi10

« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2022, 01:55 pm »
Correction. "LRS and High Pass Filter" page 1. Right after my storeing post.
I guess it got bumped up after I replied.
Please join if you have info on this.
Thanks!

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2022, 03:28 pm »
Called Magnepan and I was told it is fine to store their speakers horizantal. Appearently that is how they are stacked at the factory, but in boxes.
As long as nothing presses sock in againest panel its good.

Now onto next Maggie item, high pass crossover at 80hz to relieve panels of very low frequencys. Im following this topic in another planar circle. I think its something like "High passing LRS". Page 2?

Good to know.  :thumb: