That time of year again....the Masters

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
That time of year again....the Masters
« on: 8 Apr 2022, 06:00 pm »
So far no runaways, the course is beautiful as usual, the wind adding to the challenge. Tiger's in the mix after day 1, lots of folks in the hunt with the leaders at -4. Free stream available at https://www.masters.com/index.html . Several options for viewing, enjoy, should be a good one.

ArthurDent

Re: That time of year again....the Masters
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2022, 11:45 pm »
Interesting day. Guess there's a reason Mr. Scheffler is the World #1. Depending on how things go tomorrow it could in fact be a run-a-way. Not much movement in the field otherwise. Very nice round out of Justin Thomas, Tiger hung in after a tough start. While dropping a couple of shots today Tiger's still in a position to make an amazing showing given the circumstances. Sadly Louis O withdrew due to back issues, hopefully he'll have a speedy recovery.

fwiw tomorrow's coverage begins at 10:15 AM EDT for the "Featured Groups". Hit 'em straight gents.

jjss49

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2022, 11:59 pm »
scotty s has been on the verge for a couple years now... but unlike so many other hot up-n-comers it looks like this kid is the real deal

so so long, great hands, remarkably calm and mature demeanor in face of adversity, knows when to take risks and when to play safe

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2022, 09:36 am »
I'll admit that last year after the accident I proclaimed that Woods would never play professional golf again.  He proved me wrong.  He's in a lot of pain by the second nine, but he's playing.  We'll see what comes for any future events, I'm out of the predicting game with Woods.

Shaeffler looks unbeatable if he keeps it up.  Conditions could be tough, maybe somebody will challenge on Saturday.

The coverage on Paramount+ and Masters.com was interesting the first two days, you could pick a set of holes to watch, 45&6 or Amen Corner or 15&16, alternately you could pick featured groups which meant Tiger Woods and some fill in others while he walked up the fairway, then back to Woods.  I'm a Woods fan so I was happy to watch the featured groups coverage with some bouncing around on the other feeds.  Typically the coverage changes on the weekend when the CBS coverage begins on the weekend, but I'll likely just watch the network coverage when it comes on.

ArthurDent

« Reply #4 on: 9 Apr 2022, 11:44 pm »
An interesting day. Tough one for Tiger, but that he's playing on the weekend is a testament to his determination. Well it's certainly not a run-a-way, though Scottie is hanging in. Given the rest of the field's performance a stellar round by Cam Smith, and if tomorrow plays the same we'll be looking at a playoff. Sad to see Charl stumble at 16 & 17 as he did. The wind was brutal, and the temps a big factor for a tournament usually played in the 70's. Cold hands are not conducive to playing with feel, which is requirement of Augusta imo.

I watched the Masters stream all day as for the most part the commentary is more limited, no feeling that someone has to be talking the whole time describing things. And though there are only limited commercials on broadcast, there are none on the stream. One misses some of the special shots that broadcast will play/replay, so it's probably a push in the end as to catching the whole outs, long putts sunk, on holes not covered by the stream. You do get to see everyone play those key holes though, which broadcast will often only follow those leading or close in the hunt.

So it should be an interesting & entertaining final round tomorrow. Only time will tell who keeps their cool, and who doesn't. Forecast is for weather much like today, maybe cooler.

jjss49

« Reply #5 on: 10 Apr 2022, 02:55 am »
only 3 strokes up on cam smith... game on tomorrow...  looked like a runaway till the last few holes...  :wink:
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2022, 05:06 am by jjss49 »

Tarheel

« Reply #6 on: 10 Apr 2022, 11:42 am »
It's been a good one regardless of the outcome. Some great shots, some poor putts, and even a runaway club head.  Will be watching to see if Smith can make a run at Scottie in today's final round.  I have to pull for Harold Varner lll from my home state of NC though.

rodge827

« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2022, 12:05 am »
Congrats to Scottie Scheffler 2022 Masters Champion