MagnaRIsers 3.7s

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
MagnaRIsers 3.7s
« on: 13 Mar 2022, 07:50 pm »
I was so impressed with the way the MagnaRisers worked out on the LRS system that I ordered some for the 3.7s in the living room.
Installation was much easier as there wasn't a cross piece in the way and they slide easily on carpet, no scratching on a hardwood floor.
I was told that they would tighten up the bass and I'm happy to say that's exactly what happened.
Magnepans aren't exactly known for dynamics but these guys now have quite a bit more. 
That was the first thing I noticed and these stands seemed to tighten everything up a bit more as well; in audiophile language they'd say coherence improved from top to bottom.
As everything was tighter and more focused I also noticed details that were buried before were coming out. 
Recordings that have a lot of stuff buried in the mix was a bit of a blur before but now they're a bit more pronounced and you can hear a lot of what is going on in the background.  PJ Harvey's Is This Desire album, for instance, has a lot of low level tracks that were indistinguishable before.  The song, A Perfect Day Elise, is a good example.  She did her own wall of sound and buried it down there.  Now I can hear exactly what those quiet mixes actually are, it's not just background noise.
I also was experimented with placement and found that I could shove them back towards the far wall a bit more and spread the speakers out some as well.  What worked well was another 6-8" back, another foot apart.
I was thinking of buying two used REL subs for this system but I don't think that's required any more.  These stands gave me the taughter bass and dynamics I was looking for.
Worth doing?  Yes.

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
Re: MagnaRIsers 3.7s
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2022, 09:36 pm »

Thank you for the review.  Magnepan + MagnaRisers are a great combination.  You have stated in words what the MR s did for my 1.7i s, I just couldn't articulate a coherent way of saying what you have done.  Now I just need to order a pair for my DWMs.  Thank you again for a well written evaluation Mr. Ford.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2022, 11:01 pm »
Thanks. 
It's really surprising the improvement they make, the bass was actually punching out at me - that's not a 3.7 trick!
Just looking at them you wouldn't think they'd do much but they do.

Saturn94

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2022, 11:35 pm »
Sweet!  :thumb:

Good to hear they finally arrived and you are enjoying a performance boost. 😀

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2022, 12:17 pm »
Last night I played the same PJ Harvey track on the LRS system which is very similar (VTL, Conrad-Johnson, Rega cd player, Kimber 12TC speaker cables, MagnaRisers).
The low-level tracks that I could distinguish on the 3.7s were reduced to being a blur on the LRS.
It's the same as it always was, the higher up you go the more resolution you're buying.

Also took the small tables that I made for the 3.7s and stuck them under the LRS to get them up in the air another 4" and that was just what they needed.  Before I was kind of hunched down listening to them as the chair is pretty tall but now the middle of the speaker is just about ear height.

Factorz

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2022, 01:09 pm »
How long did it take for you to get them? I have a pair on order for my MMGi's since the start of the year and it doesn't sound like they will be coming anytime soon.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2022, 01:58 pm »
It wasn't that long, maybe 6 weeks.

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2022, 03:58 pm »
How long did it take for you to get them? I have a pair on order for my MMGi's since the start of the year and it doesn't sound like they will be coming anytime soon.

Mine took about 8-9 weeks (ordered Dec 2020).

Kurtamus

« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2022, 05:44 am »
I have considered the MagnaRiser's for my 1.7's.  I am having a bit of issue wrapping my head around how they improve the bass. 

With Mye stands I can visually see how the brace would help reduce vibrations or any sway of the panel, but the MagnaRiser's don't appear to stabilize the panel.  Can anyone speak at all to the mechanism of them increasing the amount of bass?  Thank you.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2022, 12:11 pm »
Drop the manufacturer a line, they seem to be pretty responsive to emails.

Davey

« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2022, 05:38 pm »
I have considered the MagnaRiser's for my 1.7's.  I am having a bit of issue wrapping my head around how they improve the bass. 

With Mye stands I can visually see how the brace would help reduce vibrations or any sway of the panel, but the MagnaRiser's don't appear to stabilize the panel.  Can anyone speak at all to the mechanism of them increasing the amount of bass?  Thank you.
You won't get any coherent explanation.  Robert is into audiophile hand-waving marketing, and very little on technical details.
The reason these stands "work" is because they raise and plumb the speakers.  It's a simple physical reconfiguration relative to stock.
Any nonsense about individual "resonance tuning" is just that.

A proper apples to apples comparison would be relative to other aftermarket stands.....like the MyeStands....which orientate the speakers the same way.

Dave.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 25 Mar 2022, 06:42 pm »
The sound is different than just raising them up off of the floor and retaining the stock feet.

jjss49

« Reply #12 on: 25 Mar 2022, 11:42 pm »
rob definitely comes across as a tweaker, but the stands are well designed, cost effective, allow somewhat more stability in my estimation, despite raising the panels some... and all of it seems to improve the sound some

good deal

Davey

« Reply #13 on: 26 Mar 2022, 12:55 am »
The sound is different than just raising them up off of the floor and retaining the stock feet.
Okay, how do you explain that????

Dave.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 26 Mar 2022, 12:59 am »
I just report what I hear.
The difference was quite noticeable.
That is why I said to contact the manufacturer.

If you still have those old MMGs you could order a pair and see if they do anything for them.
I think you had them hanging up in the air with rope or chain?
If you still have the stock feet so you could do a comparison:
hanging in the air, stock feet and Magnarisers and maybe even throw in some Mye stands.
I don't know how dramatic the difference would be with MMGs, though.

Davey

« Reply #15 on: 26 Mar 2022, 01:20 am »
I don't need a pair of stands, but if I did I build them myself since I'm a decent fabricator guy.
However, if I were going to purchase a pair Grant Vandermye is the only one I'd call. 
Solid product and no hand-waving nonsense.

There's no way I'm buying anything from Robert Raus.  'Just my opinion.

Dave.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 26 Mar 2022, 01:33 am »
If you ever build some stands, post some pics!

I'll probaby get a third set of MagnaRisers for the 1.7s over the Summer, they're well made, not overpriced and work well.
Got to get a couple of sets of motorcycle tires first, riding season is almost here.
This old girl came with Pirellis and the rear is just about bald.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 26 Mar 2022, 02:16 am »
I just remembered, many years ago I got it into my head that I needed to have some monster triangulated stands built for the 3.7s to hold the entire panel completely still so I had some monster stands welded up. 
The arms attach halfway up the panel, that thing's not budging.

From what I could tell they didn't do anything for the sound. 
After a week I got tired of looking at them and put the stock feet back on and stuck the speakers on some small, low tables that I built.

If anyone has a pick up truck and is in the Central PA area and wants some monster triangulated stands, shoot me a PM and we'll drag them up from the basement and they're yours.  The welder did a good job except for one tab which is cockeyed but it still mates up okay.

Davey

« Reply #18 on: 26 Mar 2022, 02:41 am »
Stands seem to be a product where audiophiles believe some sort of unexplainable magic happens.  Kinda like cables.  :)
I just don't get it.  They're a simple product designed for a simple objective.  Fancy marketing does not change that.

My Road King got its first ride of the season a week ago.  Good fun.

Dave.

Saturn94

« Reply #19 on: 26 Mar 2022, 02:54 am »
rob definitely comes across as a tweaker, but the stands are well designed, cost effective, allow somewhat more stability in my estimation, despite raising the panels some... and all of it seems to improve the sound some

good deal

Agree. :thumb:

Personally, I took the tuning claims with a grain of salt (no disrespect meant towards Rob). It’s not as if Rob is charging a huge premium over other stands based on tuning claims.  The Airborne stands I bought for my LRS are high quality, were reasonably priced, and look great.  Customer service was great as well.  I do perceive a boost in performance which I mainly attribute to the change in position/orientation of the LRS panels.

When shopping for stands I looked at Mye Stands as well.  At least for their LRS stand, it does not offer a change in position/orientation over the stock stands (flippers down give the same 6° tilt as the Mye LRS stand).  Perhaps the increased stability offered by the Mye stand would boost performance, but I suspect not as much as changing the position/orientation of the LRS panel.

In the end, the Magnarisers were priced much lower and looked much better to me, so I went with them and am very happy with my choice. 😀