Vision Q settings for a Hana EH MC HO cart

routlaw

Vision Q settings for a Hana EH MC HO cart
« on: 12 Jan 2022, 04:41 pm »
Looking for suggestions and information regarding this somewhat unusual cartridge from Hana. Its output is 2 mV, hight for a MC but on the low side for MM. Hana suggest a 47K loading and can be used like a MM with associated phono stage. I suspect the gain setting should be at 6 db higher though vs the normal 40 db of gain for MM. Effectively DIP switch 3 instead of 4 should be turned on.

Would everyone agree with this? Thanks

trebejo

Re: Vision Q settings for a Hana EH MC HO cart
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2022, 06:56 am »
Man, vinyl...when does the tweaking end...

So while waiting for someone that knows stuff to answer, I looked up the MM cartridge that I should be using and it said

"Output voltage: 4.0 mV (1kHz, 5 cm/sec.)"

So 2mV is half the voltage, 6db, I think we're reading the same book there.

Maybe Hana make that suggestion with a broader perspective, since not all phono preamps are as flexible in their gain setting? OTOH, that also gives you a chance to put the volume knob closer to maximum. I would guess it's better to bring up the signal inside the phono rather than inside the preamp since the phono is expecting teeny tiny voltages and probably liquidates noise there and then--eg my scope was a lot happier measuring phono out than phono in.

Wayner

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2022, 12:58 pm »
I've run a Sumiko 2.5mv MC with no problem. Volume control slightly higher than with my ATs.

routlaw

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2022, 03:05 pm »
Thanks for the responses. Later in the day, I noticed on the decal from the lid, AVA states anything at 2mV or more to set the gain at the standard 40 db for MM.

gene9p

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2022, 04:04 pm »
I had a Hana Ml..it was an MC, low output, the EH is an MC cartridge along the lines of the Moving Irons by Soundsmith in that it is recommended to use it as an MM. 47k load and depending on your phono stage, low gain setting. However if you have the option to raise the gain to a mid setting, my PS Audio phono allows for 3 settings for MM's, you might find that more appealing than cranking up the volume to listen to vinyl play back. A little more gain will bring out details of the lps and at a more normal volume level. So in short, forget that it's an MC, use it as an MM and tweak the gain to taste.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2022, 11:29 pm by gene9p »

routlaw

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2022, 04:11 pm »
Thanks @gene9p this is exactly the conclusion I had come to as of yesterday too. You comments regarding settings make sense.

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2022, 02:00 am »
Hey!

All high output MC carts were designed to work with all MM phono stages. Even though they are a little bit lower in output... 2-2.5mV or so compared to MM 3-5mV. For most people that wouldn't a problem.

Since most MM phono stage have fixed 47K load of which are recommended for high output MC carts. Depending on which camp you're on about MC cart loading... I still find that high output MC can benefit on loading it down a bit, 10X the cart's impedance is a good start.

Before my current cart right now, HANA EL I used Benz Micro ACE HO... a high output MC cart. Although Benz Micro recommended 47K, I tried a few loading from 10X to 15X and ended up with about 12X the cart's impedance. Of course since I'm a DIYer I just popped my Audio Note M1 pre and changed the loading resistor in the phono stage.

Anyway, if your cart sound good as it with 47K then just sit back and enjoy it. But if you feel it too bright or splashy on top maybe loading it down a bit might be answer if that's possible with your phono stage.

Buddy