Caintuck Audio The Lii 15 Baffles

Dsaldivar

Re: Caintuck Audio The Lii 15 Baffles
« Reply #160 on: 17 Nov 2020, 03:05 pm »
Hi!
My room is 11x21x9 ft. I do not think the barrel shape really imparts a huge difference in the sound. It is possible that my 40w/c Parasound and tube preamplifier not really making justice to the Lii speakers. I will be able to see a difference if any with the LTA integrated.
Dan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #161 on: 18 Nov 2020, 09:18 am »
I know that Randy at Caintuck and Steve at Decware both say that the shape of their baffle is a critical part of the sound.  I have no experience to say whether this makes sense or not.
In my experience with the Carver Amazing the baffle shape mold the sound, other options are:
= use of wings as the Telefunken OB
= use of a small back open ''box'' as in the guitar combos
= placing the speaker low close to the floor or high will greatly modify the sound.
It seems like 125 hours is plenty of time to get a decent idea of what the final sound will be like at the 200+ hour mark.
+1
« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2020, 01:07 pm by FullRangeMan »

DECFACE

« Reply #162 on: 7 Jan 2021, 01:34 am »
To revive an old thread, I just purchased a pair of Randy's 'Lil Audio F-15s second hand. I am hoping that they step up my audio game. I'm using DECWARE Monoliths 

thetakeout

« Reply #163 on: 22 Jan 2021, 05:31 pm »
DECFACE,

What amp are you using to push your Monliths/Lii 15" speakers?

Have you tried the DM945 without the monolith bases?  If so, how do they perform as bookshelves?

How are the Lii's working out for you? 

Thanks for your thoughts.

thetakeout

« Reply #164 on: 22 Jan 2021, 05:32 pm »
Dan,

Did the LTA help out with the Lii 15's?  Have you messed around with a sub at all?

Kray

« Reply #165 on: 5 Feb 2021, 03:54 am »
I recently replaced the stock crap binding posts with some Cardas rhodium/gold plated copper posts. Was a PITA to do and I had to extend the voice coil wires but competed a couple hours ago and already sounding much better. Hers a shot without the screw down part (for spades)

Kray

« Reply #166 on: 6 Feb 2021, 01:38 am »
Anyone try a 71a based amp with the f-15’s?

paolocaminiti

« Reply #167 on: 16 Mar 2021, 06:53 pm »
Did the spatial arrived? Would be nice to hear a comparison, altought it sounds a bit unfair :)

decomo

« Reply #168 on: 21 Sep 2021, 06:01 am »
The F15 drivers in an open baffle are excellent speakers. You can change the sound a bit by adjusting the position of the speakers. I point the speakers about 24" outside the sides of my listening head position to get the best balance. While they don't produce deep bass, I have very satisfying bass response in my Caintuck Audio baffles. Placement of baffles on the floor are critical to decent bass response in these rather light weight hardwood baffles.

NB

Hello, NB. Thank you for sharing the info. I am based in Australia so not possible to get the Caintuck baffle from the USA. Hence, trying to build one with my novice DIY skills.

May I ask if the speaker needs to be tilted back a bit so sound travel towards ear level since it is very low in height or sits up 90 degree?

And, Is the base board necessary? I am thinking to put wooden chair legs so it sits upright without a baseboard but if it is not necessary to have a baseboard on the ground.

Thnak you in advance. 

nature boy

« Reply #169 on: 21 Sep 2021, 11:57 am »
Decomo,

The baffles sound best placed directly on the floor. Some folks tilt them up slightly, maybe an inch or two by placing a small wedge under the front of the baffle. I use rubber and cork vibration pads. I orient to baffles with just a slight toe-in with the phase plug pointed about 18" from my ears.  YRMV.

The bass board is absolutely critical to speaker performance as well as keeping the baffle stable.

I suggest you check out the Decware Audio forum for additional guidance. Several DIY'ers have posted builds on their F-15 baffles, along with schematics with measurements. This should give you a leg up on your build and information about materials. Also, if you have limited woodworking skills, consider getting a friend to do it for you. One additional point, the F-15 drivers sound best mounted from the rear of the baffle with a rounded edge baffle opening in the front. This requires use of a router.

So definitely check out the Decware Forum. Members are always very welcoming and helpful answering inquiries. Good luck.

NB

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #170 on: 21 Sep 2021, 09:17 pm »
Seems this is it you are referring.

joessportster

• Set & Single Driver Bliss
« Reply #171 on: 26 Oct 2021, 02:25 pm »
Anyone try a 71a based amp with the f-15’s?

Yes, My Sayes 71a amp paired with either my VTA SP14 pre, or my Triode Lab Au-pre sounds superb plenty of gain in my 13 X 16 room with 2v digital source