WTL Versalex Belt "Thump".

electricladyland

WTL Versalex Belt "Thump".
« on: 18 Jun 2018, 11:42 am »
Hi,

The knot tied in the Belt makes a "thump" noise when it passes theough the Pulley, which can clearly be heard during quieter passages of music. I did read read a long while ago someone else had the same issue, but they were uncertain what it was, well if that person is reading this, this is the cause. Anyway else had the issue and found a way of rectifying this?

By the way a "better sounding" belt is replacing the "fishing line" with Radio Dial Cord, substantial improvement. Both types make the "thump" noise when the knot passes through the Pulley.

mick wolfe

Re: WTL Versalex Belt "Thump".
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2018, 04:59 pm »
In the several years I've owned the Amadeus, I've yet to hear a thump or any noise when the minuscule knot passes thru the pulley. I've always used "belts" made from the specified material and size.(thickness)

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2018, 07:04 pm »
Bad knots... :oops:

Kimiimacman

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2018, 10:54 am »
As an owner and retailer of these decks I have never encountered this issue. Seeing as the belts are available from any dealer for free I suggest sourcing a new official one and trying again.

Simon

RPM123

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2018, 03:38 pm »
I have had my Versalex for over 3 years and I have never encountered that issue. However, standing by the table with the platter running and without the stylus in the groove, I can hear a very faint "tick" sound whenever it passes through the pulley. I was somewhat worried at first, but since I have never been able to hear it amplified while listening, I no longer even think about it. You may want to contact the distributor and seek advice.

electricladyland

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2018, 03:57 pm »
Thanks all for the reply's. RPM123, if I just have the Platter running without Amplification then I get that "ticking" noise. But it gets Amplified when system is on and a clear "thumping" noise can be heard during quiter passages as the Knot passes pulley.

RPM123

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2018, 08:56 pm »
Very odd indeed. It's possible that there is a issue with the rubber dampener (?) that is sandwiched between the plinth and motor mounting plate on top. It looks easy enough to remove. Maybe WTT or a dealer can provide a replacement?

sebrof

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2018, 01:33 am »
I have had my Versalex for over 3 years and I have never encountered that issue. However, standing by the table with the platter running and without the stylus in the groove, I can hear a very faint "tick" sound whenever it passes through the pulley. I was somewhat worried at first, but since I have never been able to hear it amplified while listening, I no longer even think about it. You may want to contact the distributor and seek advice.

Same for me and my Amedeus.
I'd check the knot, maybe it was tied wrong

electricladyland

« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2018, 03:24 am »
I think I better take it to Turntable guy who set it up.

electricladyland

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2018, 03:55 am »
Ok. A little bit more info, which may help. The 'thump' is only heard when the styus is on record. If I just rotate the Platter without the stylus on record no thump is amplified. If I rest the stylus on something away from the Platter it picks up the thump. Does this shed any more light?

electricladyland

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2018, 09:23 am »
More info. if I lift the Arm so the Stylus is not in contact with anything on the Plinth,no 'Thump" comes through the speakers. Now I'm almost certain the "Thump' from the Pulley is going through the Platter/Plinth.

Kimiimacman

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2018, 10:31 am »
All WT decks ship with 3 belts, have you tried another?

electricladyland

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jun 2018, 03:18 am »
I've tried 2, both thump.I've emailed the Suppplier & Turntable guy. I'll take it to them. My guess is something's not isolated and the tick is amplified through the Plinth/Platter and then the Stylus and reproduced as a "Thump" through the Speakers or as one of my music mate's said like a "Heartbeat".

electricladyland

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jun 2019, 05:24 am »
Well, it's been a long wait but well and truly worth it. The Deck went to Australia's and probably the World's Turntable guru. He's done a magnificent job. Replaced the belt with Dental Floss which he's waxed. No more Thump. He has also Isolated the Motor, big improvement. He is going to put in a much better Motor down the Track. He has set the Deck up to Perfection. It is just sounding absolutely magnificent!

While the design is very Clever, the Deck does come with flaws, but once ironed out and set up correctly, is a Superb "Sounding" Deck. Very lively, energetic, a real Toe-Tapper.

Rocket

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2019, 12:16 pm »
Hi,

Glad you've resolved your turntable issue. The turntable techie wouldn't happen to be the Turntable Doctor?

http://www.turntable-doctor.com/Turntable_Doctor.html

Cheers Rod

electricladyland

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2019, 04:38 pm »
No Rod, it's the man behind the Continuum Caliburn, Mark Dohmann.

Rocket

« Reply #16 on: 8 Jun 2019, 03:45 am »
Hi,

Glad it worked out okay in the end for you.  Checked his turntables out and they look expensive.  I have a turntable in for repair with the Turntable Doctor here in Perth. 

Cheers Rod